Neil Mellor

Guest intercity0wl

They have had £6M in recently but my pals a Watford season ticket holder, speaking to him today actually and he said that money wont be spent on players. New owner has bills to pay apparently, they owe a lot of money and have even loaned NEXT seasons tickets money to pay some bills.

While they won't spend all of it they will definitely be spending some of it and already have bids in at clubs for players

Their problem is they have the lowest wage budget in the division - whether some of the new income will be released to boost the wage budget a bit i don't know.

I like the way they are bucking the trend for big spending and using their academy and stringent player recruitment - it also shows that splashing inordinate amounts of cash about isn't the only way

Edited by scram

Would you show loyalty to your former employer (and let's not forget he currently has no tie to us whatsoever) if someone was offering you a better working environment, with more chance for career progression and presumably a considerably higher salary?

I wish you would stop being so sensible about things, biggrin.gif all ways the same even when we played football at pitz (and yes I am still poo poo at football)

I wish you would stop being so sensible about things, biggrin.gif all ways the same even when we played football at pitz (and yes I am still poo poo at football)

Maybe you could help the Blades out? The salary is probably sh*t though - I hear they have some debt problems !

:biggrin:

It's frustrating and annoying but it's part of the business and there's not much we can do about it. It would be nice if players could say "no, I want to play for Wednesday and damn the terms of my contract" but let's live in the real world here. Footballers have a short career and look to get the most out of it that they can and that is perfectly understandable. Furthermore, a good many of those complaining about it are utter hypocrites who would do precisely the same thing given half the chance. There's no point acting like spoilt brats about it.

im not disputing that. im a wednesday fan, thats the only reason id take a hefty drop in wages (although if they offered me £200 a week i couuldnt afford to move to them). earning over £1k a week is a great wage by any standard, more than the average joe earns, so while their careers are short, they are lucrative.

Mellor isnt a wednesday fan, not like me or you, he has wednesday connections but i wouldnt say hes desperate to play here. i just wish he would stop playing us all and make a decision. no one is going to begrudge him a move upwards, but people are going to get annoyed about being strung along..

im not disputing that. im a wednesday fan, thats the only reason id take a hefty drop in wages (although if they offered me £200 a week i couuldnt afford to move to them). earning over £1k a week is a great wage by any standard, more than the average joe earns, so while their careers are short, they are lucrative.

Mellor isnt a wednesday fan, not like me or you, he has wednesday connections but i wouldnt say hes desperate to play here. i just wish he would stop playing us all and make a decision. no one is going to begrudge him a move upwards, but people are going to get annoyed about being strung along..

should put the contract in front of him to sign, if he won't move on...

mellor (from what i saw of him last season) won't set the championship alight...

at the end of last season i thought we needed to bring mellor and another in at least as good as him...

Derby are/were interested.

I have a feeling that Sky story is the last resort from the agent regergitating (sp) old enquiries.

Just seen this Bruce.

I would be surprised if he went to Derby they've just signed, Ward, Theo Robinson, and Chris McGuire who are all strikers I believe.

Just seen this Bruce.

I would be surprised if he went to Derby they've just signed, Ward, Theo Robinson, and Chris McGuire who are all strikers I believe.

And Tyson.....

But they play a 4-2-3-1 formation.

They want a couple more strikers who can fill the lone role. Last month they showed an interest in Mellor.

Would you show loyalty to your former employer (and let's not forget he currently has no tie to us whatsoever) if someone was offering you a better working environment, with more chance for career progression and presumably a considerably higher salary?

Maybe not but I wouldn't be doing interviews for the press saying how much I like the company and would like to work there again at the end of my career for one last pay day.

For the record, I'm not saying I wouldn't want him at hillsborough and he is entitled to take any offer he wants. But wot irritates me is trying to appease our fan base while using us to get that better deal. If he wants to play for us then fine but don't p!ss up our back and tell us that it's raining, just in case he doesn't get the deal he wants and has to accept our offer

I like the odd guess at what's likely to happen as you know.

I am going to guess that Mellor will become a Sheffield Wednesday player.

I am also going to guess that there will also be a few more incoming players around the same time and that not all of them will have been linked to us previously.

When's the game against the Russians? Next Tuesday is it?

I am also going to guess that there will also be a few more incoming players around the same time and that not all of them will have been linked to us previously.

So. . .**** all is going to happen then.

Are you suggesting, sorry guessing, they'll be here in time for the game against the Russians?

Guest wilyfox

if Mellor wants to return to the champ, i can respect that. in which case, he should decline our interest and not keep us dangling. MM should push for a decision by serving an ultimatum. if he needs to be persuaded to join, or will only sign if no champ offer is tabled, then we should draw a line under the matter and move on. we don't want to be someone's safety net. i don't like the thought of having to convince players to join us. GM has spoken of the need for attitudes to change amongst the squad; if we're trying to sign players whose hearts and minds lie elsewhere, what kind of attitude are we buying into...?!

Edited by wilyfox

if Mellor wants to return to the champ, i can respect that. in which case, he should decline our interest and not keep us dangling. MM should push for a decision by serving an ultimatum. if he needs to be persuaded to join, or will only sign if no champ offer is tabled, then we should draw a line under the matter and move on. we don't want to be someone's safety net. i don't like the thought of having to convince players to join us. GM has spoken of the need for attitudes to change amongst the squad; if we're trying to sign players whose hearts and minds lie elsewhere, what kind of attitude are we buying into...?!

we are going to have to persuade people to sign though, because we are in league one. however, i agree we shouldnt be drawn into being used as a safety net - if Mellor wants to come, great, happy to have him. if he would rather be elsewhere, he needs to say.

Guest wilyfox

we are going to have to persuade people to sign though, because we are in league one. however, i agree we shouldnt be drawn into being used as a safety net - if Mellor wants to come, great, happy to have him. if he would rather be elsewhere, he needs to say.

the problem is, Mellor has already said he'd rather play for a championship club in his interview. he was trying to gently let us down. the problem is, MM wont take the hint and continues to persue him. i know that MM is a determined individual and doesn't like taking no for an answer, but the Mellor saga has been drawn out all summer.