Neil Mellor

Guest intercity0wl

Mellor did and average job for us last year. I am not sold on this 20 goals thing. He had did well in two games agains Southport and Hartlepool which boosted his goal scoring total. Apart from a couple of other games he did not make such a difference as some people are making out. He enjoyed the support from AI and could not take the changes GM made when he took over in February. By his own admission he said he had to take a long look at himself and get back on track. I think he did do that after about 3 months of sulks but clubs will see all this for themselves......I wonder why there does not seem to be concrete evidence of any other clubs comming in for him?

I think he would be a good signing for us in League 3. If only because he knows the league now and more importantly, he knows Wednesday and most of the player who are still here. However, I agree with some of the posters on here that we should put the offer on the table with a deadline and start the process of recruiting a replacement (or two). He has the responsibility of looking after himself and his family and respect to him for that but Wednesday have a responsibility to the the team and their supporters, never mind balancing the books. And for that reason I believe we should move on.

Mellor, or any other player for that matter is only as valuable as what the clubs place on him. It is not for him to dicate his value or to mess clubs around with statements that we have heard coming from him.

At the moment, we know Preston have said they want him to stay and we have made him offers.........I am not aware of other clubs which have come in for him or made offers to PNE or to Mellor.

I hope MM and GM have others in mind because NM is trying to play the field and it is likely he could get burned.

With all respect your talking bo##ocks 20 goals is 20 goals if he sits on the f##king side of the pitch the rest of the game and has a *** but score 1 in every 2 I could'nt give a flying f##king monkeys.To be honest I would love the situation where if Mellor is here scoring but not playing weekly that we have someone else who could also do the job.

20 goals is 20 goals of course.........however, he scored 13 league goals most of them against poor opposition......how many did he score against the top teams in the Division? That suggests he struggles against decent defences! In addition, when we went on that terrible slump from Xmas when we were up there in the league, he went missing....big time. A striker is expected to score against all levels of opposition if he is that good.....Mellor did not achieve that and I guess those who make the decisions about a players ability and worth know that he probably not worth taking the chance on.......maybe I am wrong but where are the clubs falling over themselves to sign him?

I respect your opinion but I would never tell anyone they are talking testicles because their opinion differs from mine.

20 goals is 20 goals of course.........however, he scored 13 league goals most of them against poor opposition......how many did he score against the top teams in the Division? That suggests he struggles against decent defences! In addition, when we went on that terrible slump from Xmas when we were up there in the league, he went missing....big time. A striker is expected to score against all levels of opposition if he is that good.....Mellor did not achieve that and I guess those who make the decisions about a players ability and worth know that he probably not worth taking the chance on.......maybe I am wrong but where are the clubs falling over themselves to sign him?

I respect your opinion but I would never tell anyone they are talking testicles because their opinion differs from mine.

To be fair, he performed pretty well when he played. He scored in a team devoid of creativity and put himself about whenever he was on. Worth trying to get back in on a permanent deal, but there needs to be a cut off to get this done if it is going to happen. Otherwise we need to move on and get someone else in and intergrated with the squad in good time.

Guest wilyfox

i just hope we aint chasing someone who is out for the big pay packet to turn round to us on the 5th august and say............sorry im joining blackpool etc.it needs a cut off date by us and stick to it.

Megson would be silly to wait beyond the end of the coming week. its decision time on Mellor and Dyer. the Batth move isn't so critical as we have good defensive numbers; but we need a creator and a scorer as soon as possible. both players have had long enough to chew over the move.

Guest owl9257

I agree with a lot of what your saying but at the end of the day it's down to play makers who can put the ball on to the strikers and then it's down to finishing.

A good team can make an average striker look good.

It suggests that our midfield wasnt good enough to dominate the better teams.

In the games against the top six it was frustrating as we created so little and often lost 1 nil. I cant remember lots of chances being missed by Mellor or Morrison for that matter but I remember a wee wee poor midfield and wee wee poor deliveries from the wing.

If we did a breakdown on every single striker, how many were penalties, how many were tap ins and what was the quality of the opposition, only the best players in Europe would be worthy of wearing a Wednesday shirt. Break it down still further, and were goals scored against opponents who were 2 goals down and already beaten It's crazy, that sort of scrutiny would rule out most players, certainly all those we've been linked with. Mellor may well have feasted on the fragile Hartlepool defence, but I saw him and Morrison run in form Bristol City from the championship ragged. Mellor is a quality striker and if we can get him at a price that falls within our budget, let's do it.

Some good points in your previous post about him seeking the best deal for himself and his family, as well as us having to do the same for our club.

I don't quite agree with downplaying his league goals though, even if he didn't score against the very top teams (5 against MK Dons and Bournemouth isn't bad). A disjointed season for him in a lot of ways and definitely for the club but he did very well, regardless of people picking holes in his statistics.

Like I said though you make good points and we should set a deadline, we have to be ruthless and look out for ourselves finally.

Edited by CB31

Guest Sheff Owl

Striker Neil Mellor insists he is raring to go as Preston look to bounce straight back into the Championship this season.

North End were relegated last term, but Mellor sees no reason why they cannot emerge as leading candidates for promotion in the coming months.

The former Liverpool forward spent last season on loan at Sheffield Wednesday and scored 13 goals for the Owls in League One.

Mellor, 28, told Preston's official website: "It has been a strange sort of summer but I have kept myself in good shape.

"I have come back and it is nice to be playing again but it would be good to get a goal sooner rather than later.

"I am focused now on getting as fit as I can and scoring as many goals as I can so when August 6 comes I am ready for a good season."

I know this might just be what you expect him to say but the more and more this goes on i doubt it will happen.

I really do think come 6th August he will still be with Preston...Would love to be wrong but can't see it.

Apart from a few rumours here and there i don't think even a Championship team have shown a genuine interest.

Shame really but i guess we just need to move on...again really do hope i'm wrong.

Guest londonowl1

He will definately be a Wednesday player before 6th august.

Its just a game of cat and mouse between MM and his agent regarding wages.

A compremise will be found soon.

crying-baby.jpg

:biggrin:

Just getting a bit annoying Mellor thinking he's better than he is.

If we can get the deal done - great. But if not we can go out and get someone else who would jump at the chance to play for Sheffield Wednesday and stop weeing about with "superstar" Mellor.

I'd give him until Friday to sign in time for our first pre season game in England. If not, see ya!

He will definately be a Wednesday player before 6th august.

Its just a game of cat and mouse between MM and his agent regarding wages.

A compremise will be found soon.

Megson has said the issue is not his wages.

Seems to me like he's holding out for a Championship club.

But for me it's make your mind up time, Neil.