Man of the Match & Player Ratings vs Blackburn Rovers (A)

Man of the Match & Player Ratings vs Blackburn Rovers (A)  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match?

• Beadle
    • Palmer
    • Ihiekwe
    • Famewo
    • Valentín
    • Johnson
    • Vaulks
    • Bannan
    • Musaba
    • Windass
    • Ugbo
    • Bambo Diaby
    • Iorfa
    • Gassama
    • Paterson
    • Smith

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/04/24 at 11:56

My view is it’s difficult to split Bannan and Vaulks for man of the match.   Both absolutely tireless for the cause.  Some good performances too from Johnson and Musaba.  

Only real negative was Famewo - our weakest link and he had a poor game. 

As to the rest, very good all round.  The first half wasn’t very good in terms of quality, the goal being the highlight, but the second half epitomised the grit and drive we need right now.

Lastly, epic support from our fans today.  We turned it into a home game for the Owls.  Am feeling slightly jaded this morning though!

• Like 1

Vaulks for me, but I want to give a shout to Ugbo - sprinted down the keeper to force the mistake for the first goal, great run and perfect pass into Musaba for the second goal. He never stopped all game. Summed up by that foul he won late on out wide 

Edited by Owly Mowly
  • Like 3

Didnt create much but a battling performance from all  that deserved the 3 points ...voted for the "cant defend  for toffee doesnt give a poo trouble causing " johnson who was excellent all over the left side .

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Didnt create much but a battling performance from all  that deserved the 3 points ...voted for the "cant defend  for toffee doesnt give a poo trouble causing " johnson who was excellent all over the left side .

Your post just proves why Johnson gets stick though. 

He's proved he can defend.

He's proved he can play. 

But he's proved he will only do it when he feels like it. 

I didn't see all the game yesterday, but what I saw of it, Johnson was excellent. 

People don't expect him, or any other player to have an amazing game every match. 

But what they expect, is the level of attempting to play like that. 

Not just sauntering around, like he's playing beach football with his kids while on holiday.

His, and every players attitudes, should be like they were against Blackburn. 

• Like 2

Beadle 7

Valentin 6

Palmer 7

Ihiekwe 6

Famewo 5

Johnson 8

Vaulks 8

Bannan 7

Windass 7

Musaba 7

Ugbo 6

Diaby 6

Iorfa 6

Paterson 7

Smith 7

Gassama 6

Despite me giving him pelters lately - Marv get's Man of the Match - just ahead of Vaulks.

Show's I know feck all about football lol. lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MAL said:

Not just sauntering around, like he's playing beach football with his kids while on holiday.

Doesnt say much for the manager if he consistently picks a player who does that ....... I believe no matter who the the player Röhl wouldnt pick them  if they  only played when they wanted to.

10 hours ago, fog of fear said:

Think Ugbo scores a bit harsh, he didn't put a foot wrong and played a key role in the 2nd. He invariably makes the right decision and you always have confidence he will get out of tight spot with the ball somehow. Also wins a lot of 40-60s, eg forcing the free kick by corner flag 1st half and drawing the booking 2nd. Can see with his technical qualities why managers want him creating too.

I gave him a 6 purely because he wasn’t involved with the ball/in possession that much. Worked his socks off, pressed, and did all the ugly stuff. Was just unfortunate most of the ball went through Windass and Musaba.

12 hours ago, JohnSheridansBigToe said:

Totally off topic but what is about Blackburn away and Wednesday fans on crutches? If you watch one of the Wednesday vlogs, for every goal someone on crutches is swinging them in the air😁

Just checked Google maps, it's a 57 mile/21 hour walk to Ewood Park, maybe that's got something to do with it?

Beadle 7

Valentin 6 - not up to his usual standard.

Palmer 8 - brought his usual calmness.

Ihiekwe 7 - really should have hit that ball harder into Smurfit's face.

Famewo 6 - not at his best, skinned for pace too many times

Johnson 8.5 - the 'good' Johnson turned up this time thank god. Brilliant run for the goal.

Vaulks 9  MoM - what a tackle-tackle, won us the game did that.

Bannan  8.5 - great captains performance, loved the double tackle with the second one from the floor, and that defensive length-of-the -field run, it's what he does, leading by example.

Windass 7.5 - Sublime finish, seemed a little bit more interested than of late.

Musaba 7 - Some really good contributions, but disappointing choices on more than a few occasions.

Ugbo 7 - Put the effort in, just not his day.

Diaby 6 - ouch

Iorfa 7 - looked really good, I'd have him starting. 

Paterson 7 - you know exactly what you're going to get - and he didn't disappoint.

Smith 6

Gassama 6

• Like 1

Sky rarely get these things right, I was half expecting them to give it to Windass for the goal 🙃

But Vaulks was immense yesterday. I'd have happily given it to Johnson, also.

Only real weak link was Famewo. I just don't think he's Championship quality. Not in a defence that passes out anyway

• Like 3

Definitely missing Bernard. I love Famewo for his wholehearted effort and bravery. He’s stepped in to that position and given his all every game, but he’s really not comfortable with the ball. 

Don’t really like criticising him too much. Rather project that onto the chairman. It’s his lack of investment that means we don’t have proper cover for injuries. Röhl doesn’t exactly have another option for that position at the moment.

44 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Definitely missing Bernard. I love Famewo for his wholehearted effort and bravery. He’s stepped in to that position and given his all every game, but he’s really not comfortable with the ball. 

Don’t really like criticising him too much. Rather project that onto the chairman. It’s his lack of investment that means we don’t have proper cover for injuries. Röhl doesn’t exactly have another option for that position at the moment.

Know what u mean but he switches off losing his man regularly and its also getting regular watching him chasing shadows in behind when playing a high line as he hasn't any recovery pace.

So theres other options to consider imo such as palmer lcb in a 3 (won't play james), or in a 2 theres 3 from iorfa, ike & diaby to choose, with palmer dcm/stepping back into lcb.

He's done his best but it's risky playing him simply for bring left footed imo. Don't see it changing but hope it doesn't prove costly vs anyone with pace (like szmodics goal) or decent movement (like bamford goal) upfront.

Edited by Ash77

4 hours ago, Owly Mowly said:

Vaulks for me, but I want to give a shout to Ugbo - sprinted down the keeper to force the mistake for the first goal, great run and perfect pass into Musaba for the second goal. He never stopped all game. Summed up by that foul he won late on out wide 

Ugbo was fine but he is not getting service to help him get a couple of chances he needs for a goal. The cross for Johnson was excellent and that’s what he needs 

32 minutes ago, Sheff Cam said:

Vaulks for me, but a lot of excellent battling performances

Didn't think we were at our best with the ball, but we gave ourselves a platform by doing the ugly things well

We were poor in the first half and the goal we conceded showed our weaknesses when pressing high. Our midfield cannot keep the ball. The second goal was just at the right time. Confidence and effort then gave us more control 

Well done Danny and the players, we wanted that win more than Blackburn. Their players were hiding when it went 1-2.

A very good team performance where we played for each other.

Beadle.  7.   Safe handling, I would like him back next season if we can get him.  Tall but agile which is a good combo for a keeper.

Palmer.  7.  Right centre back in a 3 is his best position.

Ihekwie.  6.  Hope he is not badly injured, best we have in the air.

Famewo.  5.  You can't give players like Smoditz a 3 yard advantage and hope to catch them.

Valentin.  6.   Bit quiet going forward, but solid defensively.

Vaulks.  8.  All action and very brave for our second goal.

Bannan.  7.  These days a good all round midfield player not just a play maker.

Johnson.  9.5.  MoM.   Not sure you could expect much more from a wing back. Good defensively and lung busting run and calm finish for our 2nd.

Musaba.  7.5. Great ball for our 2nd and his pace caused them problems. Didn't get caught in possession as much as sometimes does.

Ugbo.  6.  Worked hard, not a lot to feed off around the box.

Windass.  7.5.  Truly superb goal and he does stretch defences with his movement.

Subs

Diaby.  6.5.  Thought he was doing well until his painful injury.

Iorfa.  6.5.  Did well.

Smith.  6

Paterson. 6

Gazzama. 7.   Just what we wanted at that time, kept possession and won fouls in their half.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ash77 said:

Know what u mean but he switches off losing his man regularly and its also getting regular watching him chasing shadows in behind when playing a high line as he hasn't any recovery pace.

So theres other options to consider imo such as palmer lcb in a 3 (won't play james), or in a 2 theres 3 from iorfa, ike & diaby to choose, with palmer dcm/stepping back into lcb.

He's done his best but it's risky playing him simply for bring left footed imo. Don't see it changing but hope it doesn't prove costly vs anyone with pace (like szmodics goal) or decent movement (like bamford goal) upfront.

Agree with all that.

Against the better players in this league Fawemo struggles. He lacks anticipation, switches off and gets outsmarted.

It's happened regularly recently and has cost us goals. Szmodics yesterday, Sargeant v Norwich, Bamford (who is hardly the quickest) v Leeds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1