FA CUP REPLAYS

I don’t understand why people think it’s a bad thing for the smaller clubs.

Yes, there’ll be the odd time a small club is drawing with one of the big six at home and will miss out on a replay.

But as a consolation, extra time and pens gives them a great chance of knocking them out. Going down in club folklore. And still getting the cash prize for progression.

More often a lower league team will be drawing with a Championship club or smaller PL club where the prize money of progressing will be far bigger than the replay gate receipts (especially if the replay would have the lower league club at home).

In my opinion, this will hugely increase the prospect of upsets - which until the top division became so dominant - was what the cup was all about.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Yes, there’ll be the odd time a small club is drawing with one of the big six at home and will miss out on a replay.

But as a consolation, extra time and pens gives them a great chance of knocking them out. Going down in club folklore. And still getting the cash prize for progression.

More often a lower league team will be drawing with a Championship club or smaller PL club where the prize money of progressing will be far bigger than the replay gate receipts (especially if the replay would have the lower league club at home).

In my opinion, this will hugely increase the prospect of upsets - which until the top division became so dominant - was what the cup was all about.

Plus of course, should they get through they’ll get gate receipts in the next round too.

Doncaster are far more likely to be drawing at home to Barnsley after 90 minutes that Man Utd. This gives them a better chance of knocking Barnsley out than a replay, then they get the prize money and the gate receipts in the next round.

Getting through to the next round with less teams (but most of the big clubs still remaining) also increases their odds of getting the big away draw in the next round.

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

The shine came off the FA Cup a while ago really.

Clubs and fans are always really half hearted abut FA Cup Replays so although I am a traditionalist I am not losing any sleep about replays going.

Also seems a bit strange that Replays are being abolished from Round 1 but non league sides in qualifying will still have them.

If the Prem clubs Don't want replays they should have to pay the lower league teams the equivalent of any tv money plus what they would get from the gate receipts.

The Elf is appealing this and I think it will change so that replays will be scrapped after the 3rd round.

And yet another example of the rich in football robbing the poor - if they want fewer cup games then weight the prize money for each round so that clubs lower in the pyramid get substantially more money for a win than clubs in the EPL.  Wonder if they are prepared to do that? Oh hang on I’m forgetting it’s the same lot who can’t be arsed to strike a reasonable deal with the EPL on redistribution…….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SwellOwl said:

Keep the elite happy so they don't leave for the super duper legends league.

FA Cup has been on the slow road to death, another nail added.

Tbh, we don't need 3 cup competitions now. I'd just keep the FA, loose the League Cup and papa John's  if that's what it is.

I hope all EFL clubs and non league clubs refuse to enter next season or at worst fans don't turn up to the games like the tin pot trophy and u21s in league 1 and 2.

Within the next few years the FA Cup final will be played abroad to the country that pays the most. 

Gurantee it will be in Saudi Arabia or somewhere near. 

Absolutely joke the FA and have really sold their soles.

Scrubbers. 

• Like 2

Funny how the cups that ordinary clubs take part in are being "streamlined" but the top clubs get league based competitions, not knock out cups. It is so biased it is unbelievable. Young kids will only see European Leagues soon and forget the FA Cup exists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arootatat said:

No one can ever equal those great games against arsenal.  What a shame if that hadn't gone to replays, as it was a great experience 

As a ten year old kid, those Arsenal replays - the trips down the motorway, through the snow and the fog,  in a convoy of Owls cars, vans, minibuses and coaches is probably my greatest memory growing up as a Wednesdayite. Truly magical and such a shame kids will never get to experience such nights again.

Game is being ruined by the powers that be.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

58 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Tbh, we don't need 3 cup competitions now. I'd just keep the FA, loose the League Cup and papa John's  if that's what it is.

Agreed.

Papa Johns brings nothing, League Cup is clearly still valued as bigger clubs seem to win it. 

3 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Yes I’m going to go against the grain here but I think it’s the right decision.

Can we really complain about cup replays being scrapped when you look the crowds we got for the cup games this season? We don’t even open the full ground for the cup games. 

I know will some will say it’ll hit the smaller clubs but realistically how often does a small club hit the jackpot and earn a replay against a big club? I can barely think of any examples where a small club has had a pay day replay against a big club in the last 10 years.

Also if there’d been no replays we may well have knocked Coventry out this season on the night. Extra time and pens at Hillsborough against Coventry would have made it a better game and we may well have gone through.

Once it went to a replay at Coventry it was a game none of us wanted that we were always likely to lose anyway

• Like 2

Football needs to evolve. On the face of it looks like another example of clubs further down the pyramid being pushed further adrift financially. But if those clubs lose important players before a crucial game then my bottoms dollar says they’ll be complaining. I know money has to come from somewhere, but maybe they could redistribute it more over the rounds. Lets face it, 9 times out of 10 its the top clubs that get to the latter stages and the majority of their revenue comes from elsewhere i.e the premier league. 

9 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

giphy.gif

I was on the Kop with my Derby mates after we'd been to an allnighter at Samantha's...they absolutely loved it and still talk about it to this day whever we meet up 😄

The sooner these so called " big" teams leave and form their own European super league the better. The game can then reset and become far more of a level playing field. These break away teams will eventually want to return when public interest wanes however we should tell them to do one or alternatively join non league football and attempt to climb up the leagues. The game should be run by the football authorities not by a small group of rich clubs who believe they hold all the power.

What happened today is a disgrace and the Premier league authorities have shown they are not the ones running the show.

the fa cup died a while ago anyway.

when you have lower league clubs resting players and putting out weakened teams, it was over.

as for the big clubs, with the size of the squads they have, they should be able to put out a team that can do a job, so stop whining