Munoz did better than Röhl...

40 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yet this approach didn’t work in other games hence he was sacked.

That's my point. Röhl has picked up many points through his philosophy (but it isn't working against the top sides).

Big fan of Röhl’s but his one blind spot seems to be going too attacking against good sides away from home. Hammered at Southampton, hammered in the first half at Leicester and hammered at Ipswich. 

Like the fact he has attacking principles and wants to play on the front foot, but choosing today to switch from our successful 3-5-2 to a back four when it’s already failed miserably twice seems a very dubious decision 

Good thing is we don’t have to play any more teams of their calibre. 

• Like 6

Pointless thread Munoz was our worst manager ever he had us spineless with no impact on games

if he was still in charge Rotherham would be above us 

the point against Leeds was down to them not being able to score really rather than us being tactically good 

let’s be fair they were poor for them that day not us being great 

• Like 3

Not sure what the set up should have been today, but sitting back and inviting pressure against a free scoring side?

Our game has been the high press, Ipswich just dealt with it much better than most sides we've faced, and exploited our weaknesses on a very off day. That's credit to them, and also a reality check for us.

I'd rather we have a go. This forum would have been full of people posting if we'd just sat back and accepted the inevitable.

Not a pretty score by any means, but you don't tear up your approach from one really poor result, you work on the weaknesses to ensure it doesn't happen again. 

• Like 6

Guarantee if we’d have gone and parked the bus and still lost folk on here would be lighting pitchforks and sharpening the torches ….

Going all defensive when we need points… Röhl out! 

We also don’t know how well the players would take to a sudden wholesale change of strategy and tactics in a short space of time

• Like 4

"A broken watch is right twice a day" is how I would describe the link between those results and xisco. If you pick 11 names out the hat and let them play however they want, we'd have had a similar points total to xiscos sheffield wednesday.an absolutely diabolical appointment by the chairman

• Thanks 1

It’s easy to speak of after the game.

But we are too naive in a lot of away games. He’s taken many hammerings during his time here.

However, we are in with a chance purely because of him.

Our season starts now, I hope him and the players go for it so we can wave him goodbye, when he walks when the season ends, as a cracking manager for us.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Guarantee if we’d have gone and parked the bus and still lost folk on here would be lighting pitchforks and sharpening the torches ….

Going all defensive when we need points… Röhl out! 

We also don’t know how well the players would take to a sudden wholesale change of strategy and tactics in a short space of time

No one wanted him to change tactics though that’s the point.

Just set us up the same way as he did at Millwall and Rotherham.

But he switched back to a similar set up that played at Southampton and Huddersfield.

We’ve gone with a 4-2-4 type formation at Southampton, Huddersfield and Ipswich and it’s resulted in 0-4, 0-4 and 0-6

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Every manager we have had in our recent history has come in, played exciting attacking football but then stopped that and instead defensive to try and suit playing against the 'better' sides.

I call it the manager catching 'wednesdayitis' 

Are we REALLY going to do that again with Röhl and start demanding he stops his attacking approach that is on it's way to doing the impossible and keeping us up to instead revert to dull, defensive football where we play not to lose?

Have we learnt NOTHING as fans?

You want Röhl to just be like all the others before him?

When we know what the outcome of that is? (fans on players back, loss of confidence, losing dull games 1-0 after playing negative defensive football)

Are we really going to do this?

Call for defensive football from the most exciting attacking manager we've had in years and years and years?

REALLY?

It would lead to inevitable relegation - ESPECIALLY with our squad, facilities, training ground

It would also lead to fans kicking off when we don't go for the win or go forward with the ball

Sometimes our fans really do deserve everything they get

I’m taking a screenshot of this post and keeping it

i agree with Neil and I’m not sure I like it lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think a few are missing my point. In certain games his approach needs to be different, that's what I'm trying to say. His philosophy shouldn't change.

Mid block was then way to go today. Sit in, press in short spells and conserve energy. Break on the counter when the chance presented itself. Keep it tight for as long as possible.

We are not good enough to play 90 mins low block and we can't press high all game (as today showed).

• Like 2

With Röhl’s methods we’ve been pretty allergic to the top sides, it’s true. There are four “league within a league” teams who are up there by definition because they’re very good but two points from eight games against them is pretty meagre nonetheless.

It would probably be daft to make any major changes in the midst of the run-in mayhem but Danny could do with going away and reflecting on these games over the summer - I’m confident he will learn from this as he develops, I just hope we’re the ones who benefit from that, not someone else while we’re back at the mercy of DC’s managerial merry go-round.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mark77 said:

Against Leeds and Ipswich.

Pts 1, GD -1

My point being his overall approach was more defensive and more suited against the 'better' sides.

Röhl is clearly the best manager we've had for a very long time and I hope he stays and builds something BUT he must think about his approach in certain games.

He was completely defensive no matter who we played. 

absolutely zero comparison with managers.