Munoz did better than Röhl...

The Leeds away game was the only moment in Xisco's whole shïtshow reign that I thought there might be a half decent manager buried in there. We were defensive, but didn't exactly park the bus, and could have nicked it. xG had it as:

Leeds 1.24 - SWFC 0.86

Which was respectable. Although Leeds arguably could have had a penalty mid-way through the second half.

The Xisco Ipswich game, Devis Vasquez performed heroics to keep it at 1-0. xG said they only beat us 1.78 to 0.52, but it felt like more at the time.

As for Danny Röhl - we put in a really good first 48 minutes against Leeds - we were winning on xG until that Bamford chance in the 49th minute (0.51 to 0.41). We didn't chase the game very well in the second half (which is becoming a recurring theme under him) and Leeds ran out comfortable winners for the game as a whole (0.84 to 2.02).

Ipswich was just a complete humiliation (3.73 vs 0.70). Our 'attacking' approach created less chances than Xisco at Leeds.

Hopefully it was just a bad gameplan, and a one-off shït day all round.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

The Leeds away game was the only moment in Xisco's whole shïtshow reign that I thought there might be a half decent manager buried in there. 

Yep.

That was the only game which gave me any hope under him, really.

Then he had the international break to work with the players and they all came back looking even worse!

:xisco:

• Haha 1

I'm wondering if Röhl is happy to throw the dice against the top teams knowing full well we're likely to lose but with that chance we might pull a surprise, and seeing this as preferable to grinding our way to dispiriting narrow defeats. Yes we go down in flames against eg Ipswich but we keep the mentality that says we can win games (instead of not losing them), thinking back for example just two games to our run of consecutive victories. Makes a good result against Swansea important though

• Like 2

13 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yep.

That was the only game which gave me any hope under him, really.

Then he had the international break to work with the players and they all came back looking even worse!

:xisco:

As we discussed at length back then, the performances against Preston and Cardiff were clear improvements on the preceding fixtures, and the Leeds game looked to be another step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, those of us that held out the feint hope that the International Break would provide the opportunity to catch up on some of the preseason that was missed were sorely disappointed. 

OK, that first Ipswich game wasn't the best to judge progress on because anyone paying attention could see they were operating at a completely different level rather than being "about the same as us last season" 🤪 (the penny's probably dropped after this weekend!).

Then we looked a little better against an unsettled Middlesbrough. 

But even I lost hope after the Sunderland and Swansea hammerings. Two sides that we're now reliant on beating in the return fixtures to give us any hope of staying up...

18 minutes ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

As we discussed at length back then, the performances against Preston and Cardiff were clear improvements on the preceding fixtures, and the Leeds game looked to be another step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, those of us that held out the feint hope that the International Break would provide the opportunity to catch up on some of the preseason that was missed were sorely disappointed. 

OK, that first Ipswich game wasn't the best to judge progress on because anyone paying attention could see they were operating at a completely different level rather than being "about the same as us last season" 🤪 (the penny's probably dropped after this weekend!).

Then we looked a little better against an unsettled Middlesbrough. 

But even I lost hope after the Sunderland and Swansea hammerings. Two sides that we're now reliant on beating in the return fixtures to give us any hope of staying up...

They were improvements on the opening two games of the season, but it would have been difficult to have been much worse!

We managed a combined xg of 1.3 across those two games, conceding an xg of 2.3 at the same time. So yeah, an improvement, but it still didn't give me any real hope for the season ahead.

The Leeds game, as much as we rode our luck and relied on some wayward finishing from them, we managed as many shots on target as we had against Preston and Cardiff combined. That was the moment where I hoped that things might actually start to improve after the international break.

Little did I know that the longer Muñoz spent with the squad, the worse things would get...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

They were improvements on the opening two games of the season, but it would have been difficult to have been much worse!

We managed a combined xg of 1.3 across those two games, conceding an xg of 2.3 at the same time. So yeah, an improvement, but it still didn't give me any real hope for the season ahead.

The Leeds game, as much as we rode our luck and relied on some wayward finishing from them, we managed as many shots on target as we had against Preston and Cardiff combined. That was the moment where I hoped that things might actually start to improve after the international break.

Little did I know that the longer Muñoz spent with the squad, the worse things would get...

The thing is, in both of those games, the only reason we didn't take anything from them was because we needlessly gifted the opposition a free kick in a dangerous area and a penalty after a completely pointless handball. But we never looked like scoring, and but for a honeymoon period from Cadamarteri and signing Ugbo and Poveda, we still don't really... even with Musaba, Gassama, and Valentin looking much better at times, thanks to the more positive approach.

As I've said before, what I got spectacularly wrong back then was being overly concerned about Chansiri's behaviour along with another management departure putting anyone half-decent off. I still can't believe Danny and his team are here. 

38 minutes ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

The thing is, in both of those games, the only reason we didn't take anything from them was because we needlessly gifted the opposition a free kick in a dangerous area and a penalty after a completely pointless handball. But we never looked like scoring, and but for a honeymoon period from Cadamarteri and signing Ugbo and Poveda, we still don't really... even with Musaba, Gassama, and Valentin looking much better at times, thanks to the more positive approach.

As I've said before, what I got spectacularly wrong back then was being overly concerned about Chansiri's behaviour along with another management departure putting anyone half-decent off. I still can't believe Danny and his team are here. 

I dunno - I think we look a lot more threatening under Röhl than we did under Muñoz.

Our average xg has increased by 83%, our shots on target by 87%, and our goals per game by 86%.

I'm a lot more confident in our ability to score a goal and potentially take three points under Röhl than I ever was under Muñoz, and yeah, I agree it's hard to believe that him and his coaching team agreed to step in given the state we were in (and still are off the pitch).

12 hours ago, Uhu said:

I'm wondering if Röhl is happy to throw the dice against the top teams knowing full well we're likely to lose but with that chance we might pull a surprise, and seeing this as preferable to grinding our way to dispiriting narrow defeats. Yes we go down in flames against eg Ipswich but we keep the mentality that says we can win games (instead of not losing them), thinking back for example just two games to our run of consecutive victories. Makes a good result against Swansea important though

I’ve thought similar. He maybe sees them as free hits. However to get trounced 6-0 is still humiliating.

11 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I dunno - I think we look a lot more threatening under Röhl than we did under Muñoz.

💯 

Ultra-defensive Vs Keegan-esque gay abandon. Of course we're more threatening. 

Our average xg has increased by 83%, our shots on target by 87%, and our goals per game by 86%.

I'm a lot more confident in our ability to score a goal and potentially take three points under Röhl than I ever was under Muñoz,

Sure. 

I just wish we saw more goals from the midfield and defence. 

We're overly reliant on Ugbo, and Cadamateri before that. 

Let's hope we see a few goals from Vaulks and from corners and maybe even a penalty (sorry I've been drinking!). 

and yeah, I agree it's hard to believe that him and his coaching team agreed to step in given the state we were in (and still are off the pitch).

I just hope they stay for at least another season...

• Like 1

On 18/03/2024 at 21:58, Uhu said:

Narrow defeats away against Huddersfield,  Southampton and Ipswich would have got us the same amount of points but now makes stopping up on goal difference virtually impossible.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Narrow defeats away against Huddersfield,  Southampton and Ipswich would have got us the same amount of points but now makes stopping up on goal difference virtually impossible.

It was a tough ask to pull it round as it was.

In fairness, Southampton and Ipswich away are different to Huddersfield away where I think we let ourselves down with 12 minutes of madness.

On 18/03/2024 at 20:26, Mr. Chow said:

We don’t back Danny then that for me confirms there’s just no plan at all.

On 16/03/2024 at 19:10, mark77 said:

Against Leeds and Ipswich.

Pts 1, GD -1

My point being his overall approach was more defensive and more suited against the 'better' sides.

Röhl is clearly the best manager we've had for a very long time and I hope he stays and builds something BUT he must think about his approach in certain games.

You're justified in saying Röhl needs to consider his approach in certain games but to say Xisco was more suited against the better teams is wrong in my view. 

Xisco had one approach against all teams which was to park the bus!

• Like 1

I like Röhl's approach which is to give it a go.  It backfired against Ipswich.

I'm sure Röhl will adapt and temper his approach somewhat.  

He needs to be backed to sign the players HE wants in the Summer.  Will that happen?  Probably not under DC.

On 16/03/2024 at 21:10, mark77 said:

Against Leeds and Ipswich.

Pts 1, GD -1

My point being his overall approach was more defensive and more suited against the 'better' sides.

Röhl is clearly the best manager we've had for a very long time and I hope he stays and builds something BUT he must think about his approach in certain games.

Actualky agree with this. In a fair few games that we’ve been thumped I’ve thought he was OTT in the attacking options. But that said, in a few games where I thought we’d struggle we have won. 

we don’t draw many under him. Do we sacrifice the odd upset victory to protect against losses? 

Posted (edited)
On 20/03/2024 at 06:33, Marro said:

You're justified in saying Röhl needs to consider his approach in certain games but to say Xisco was more suited against the better teams is wrong in my view. 

Xisco had one approach against all teams which was to park the bus!

That's my point. It worked against certain teams.

Clearly Röhl's approach has won us MANY more points and I'm not questioning him at all. I just think he's treated some games as a 'free hit' and gone for it hoping cause a surprise knowing full well we aren't good enough defensively to be more cautious.

Next season I think he will approach these games differently.

Edited by mark77

To get out of our position and safe we need wins 

his approach has a win % that sits us in the top half of the division, 

Ipswich and Leeds were games most expected us to lose. 

we had a go we we lost and Ipswich exploited that

ive nothing to gripe with DR attitude and decision to go for it. It's that approach that has us sniffing with safety now 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mark77 said:

That's my point. It worked against certain teams.

Clearly Röhl's approach has won us MANY more points and I'm not questioning him at all. I just think he's treated some games as a 'free hit' and gone for it hoping cause a surprise knowing full well we aren't good enough defensively to be more cautious.

Next season I think he will approach these games differently.

Yes I think he can be more cautious next season against certain teams - he's had no choice other than to be over positive at times given our predicament and poor start to the season.  I don't think he will lose his general philosophy of playing attacking football which we all like.