Return to the Championship Transfer Rumour MEGATHREAD (In memory of Gurujuan)

37 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

I think smith could do it. Gregory would be a sub at best at which point we might need a goal and switch to a two. I don’t think Windass or Wilks are really strikers and more suitable for the 3 behind the centre forward 

Have to disagree about Smith. Don’t think he’s got the pace or mobility to play as a lone striker especially at championship level. I think we’ll be struggling if he’s our main striker.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Didn't we have record clean sheets and gained 96pts with 5 at the back 

We lined up in a formation other than 352 in 22% of our league games.

And some of those other formations played their part in our record points haul:

433: 3 ppg

4132: 3 ppg

442: 2.5 ppg

352: 2.08 ppg

3421: 1 ppg

4231: 0.5 ppg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Have to disagree about Smith. Don’t think he’s got the pace or mobility to play as a lone striker especially at championship level. I think we’ll be struggling if he’s our main striker.

All comes down to our budget and ambition, been completely honest I don't think Smith starts in a team that wants to finish higher up the table. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

There was talk of Warne wanting him at derby but I think he will get his chance here. He can be what Nuhiu was to us 

To be fair I could see Warne taking him. 
I agree tho I think he’ll stay and play, just saying I don’t think I would 

5 hours ago, 0114 said:

I’ll be shocked if we aren’t in for him.

Although has been linked with WBA & Swansea.

I think our 2 ex millers players will be in his ear, plus moving to us means he doesn't need to move elsewhere to live. 

• Like 1

The risk with a ‘total rebuild’ is that you

kill some of the momentum and team spirit waiting for the new players to gel.

I wouldn’t be too upset if all we did was release those that patently arent up to it (Stockdale, Brown, Hunt, Adeniran), upgrade the wing-backs and bring in a quality midfielder and striker as well as keeper cover. 

I’m torn as regards Iorfa, Gregory, FDB and Johnson. If I had a decent budget to work with I’d be tempted to release them all, but then you are looking at it becoming a rebuild. So perhaps retain a couple of them. 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel. said:

There was talk of Warne wanting him at derby but I think he will get his chance here. He can be what Nuhiu was to us 

If we can get a fee for him, I would take it ( that said Derby are umbongoed) I can't see him having the impact Nuhiu did in the championship 

Surprised a lot of people seem to be linking us to players I’d have wanted if we stayed in league one . We’ve been promoted . Not saying we will go out and sign brereton Diaz from Blackburn but we need to be ruthless in areas , spend some money too . 

I don’t know what our aim is particularly or if there is one . I would say there’s no reason we cannot aim to have a successful season , no reason to just say we would take 4th bottom , I’d genuinely aim for anywhere round the top 10 . Chansiri wants to go for it

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, paulrs said:

The risk with a ‘total rebuild’ is that you

kill some of the momentum and team spirit waiting for the new players to gel.

I wouldn’t be too upset if all we did was release those that patently arent up to it (Stockdale, Brown, Hunt, Adeniran), upgrade the wing-backs and bring in a quality midfielder and striker as well as keeper cover. 

I’m torn as regards Iorfa, Gregory, FDB and Johnson. If I had a decent budget to work with I’d be tempted to release them all, but then you are looking at it becoming a rebuild. So perhaps retain a couple of them. 

Yeah I’d agree releasing the too lot you say . I’d keep the bottom 4 all because FDB is young so plenty of time for him to improve . Iorfa is certainly capable of being a squad player if he plays like he can do (and I’m not his biggest fan at times !) Johnson still has a year in him for me , needs competition on that side though . Gregory is an experienced head and sure he will accept a 1 year deal knowing he could be a bit of a bit part player but feel he would chip in with some key goals , if by January it’s looking like he’s not playing and surplus we could sell him to a league one side or loan him

5 hours ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Good call

Talented player, just the type of player we need...

The type of loan we need to be looking at.

Some one who can slot straight into the team, not some kid who is only here to fill a shirt.

• Like 1

We could get some real quality using the loan market. As the likes of Burnley, pigs, Sunderland, Luton have shown. 

Same with out of contract players. The Swansea defender we are supposedly looking at looks interesting for a start. 

Then just make sure the money we spend is on younger players with potential resale value. Either players with championship potential or already established. 

Crucial summer in the transfer market. 

• Like 2