JANUARY 2023 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD (In memory of Gurujuan)

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

With our strikers miss firing is it worth looking at Langstaffe at Notts County 21 goals in 23 games this season averaging a goal every 91 minutes. 

He scored 32 goals last season help Gateshead to promotion and already well on the way to beating that, at 25 for me its the sort of signing that could be a gem.

We've got Smith who was a stop striker last season. It doesn't count for much if you don't play to his strengths or you ask him to play a completely different game to that he is used to..

. I don't think many strikers will do well if they don't get service.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If Ryan Hardie’s available from Plymouth I’d be sorely tempted to go for him …….. Plymouth’s top scorer last season & leading again this season, contract up in the summer & goes for nothing unless he goes in January…… Oxfords bid of a million gives an indication of the ballpark he’s in ………… Would add something we don’t currently possess, genuine pace up front!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think we’ll bring another striker in. Strong rumours Paterson going back to Hearts.

Any striker we bring in will be a Loan like John-Jules last January. A young unproven striker. Makes more sense to keep Paterson IMO.

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

Any striker we bring in will be a Loan like John-Jules last January. A young unproven striker. Makes more sense to keep Paterson IMO.

Disagree. Need someone with a bit of pace up front with youth on their side. Paterson too similar to Smith or Gregory.

John-Jules would have been a good player if he’d not got injured. He’s done alright at Ipswich. 

It’s going to be very interesting to see how much Chansiri decides to spend in this window, as (I’m led to believe) the FFP rules have now relaxed a bit.  Obviously we don’t want to get into the same boat as before, but we may see how much Chansiri wants us to get out this division.  Will we spend £1m+ on a striker like Hardie or Langstaff? Or loan in Dwight Gayle for 5 months. 

14 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Disagree. Need someone with a bit of pace up front with youth on their side. Paterson too similar to Smith or Gregory.

John-Jules would have been a good player if he’d not got injured. He’s done alright at Ipswich. 

With a young un that can't get in a team in a higher division, you're always taking a chance that they any good. Mighten for example.

John-Jules only made 8 starts for Ipswich before he was injured again.

I think we need somone who is proven. 

59 minutes ago, prowl said:

We've got Smith who was a stop striker last season. It doesn't count for much if you don't play to his strengths or you ask him to play a completely different game to that he is used to..

. I don't think many strikers will do well if they don't get service.

Nail on head, we've already got good players but can't do it all on their own and often our attackers are left too isolated, outnumbered by defenders. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

It’s going to be very interesting to see how much Chansiri decides to spend in this window, as (I’m led to believe) the FFP rules have now relaxed a bit.  Obviously we don’t want to get into the same boat as before, but we may see how much Chansiri wants us to get out this division.  Will we spend £1m+ on a striker like Hardie or Langstaff? Or loan in Dwight Gayle for 5 months. 

Did you know that Dwight Gayle has not scored a goal since leaving Newcastle!

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

There is no ffp in league one. 

• Like 1