Whisper it quietly, is it coming home?

I have posted on here, in conversations with friends and colleagues that England have little chance in winning this world cup.  I believe they were lucky with kind draws to get to the semis and finals of the previous two international competitions.

England should hopefully get past Senegal and into the quarters where it is likely that France could be waiting.  In this tournament of shocks, neither us or France are nailed on to win.

Germany should qualify and then overcome Morocco to meet Portugal or Switzerland in the quarters, none of those teams should we be scared of on their current form.

in the other half of the draw are probably Brazil, Argentina, Spain and the Netherlands, only one of which will get through to meet the winner of our half of the draw.

Napolean is often misquoted in saying "Give me lucky generals" but is believed by some he based it on something Cardinal Mazarin, chief minister of France in the 17th century said.  

Mazarin had noted that one must not ask of a general “Est-il habile?” (“Is he skillful?”), but rather “Est-il heureux?” (“Is he lucky?”)

If we get past Senegal and face and somehow beat a French side (who did lose to Tunisia) will this make Gareth Southgate a good or a lucky manager??

• Haha 1

Nope, said QF at best before the tournament and stick by that. France's loss to Tunisia is irrelevant as they'd already won the group and rested the majority of their team - which England could have done if we'd performed against the USA. 

England tend to be either decent or dogdirt, already seen both sides of us in the group stage, teams that win World Cups are consistent. 

We are capable of putting three past any teams defence, our attack is as good as any in the competition. 

It's our defence that is a concern..I'm still baffled as to the plaudits Maguire is getting, and I imagine a decent strike force will get the better of our back line.

I expect us to beat Senegal and lose to France ...and should Morocco beat France , I reckon they'll have us as well. 

That potential game against France is my concern, get to that game and beat them.

On paper they are the only team pound for pound (bar the keeper) better than us.

Get past france, It'll be game on for me.

Edited by Maddogbob

3 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

That potential game against France is my concern, get to that game and beat them.

On paper they are the only team pound for pound (bar the keeper) better than us.

Get past france, It'll be game on for me.

France or Poland. 

8 hours ago, scram said:

Knock out football

We've as good a chance as any looking at the others overall

In theory, but we always find a way to mess it up - usually as soon as we face anybody decent.

We still haven't beaten one of the "big" footballing nations, i.e. Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands in the knockout stages of a World Cup since 1966. 

Not seeing it. 

Still think England will inevitably come up short when they play a big nation in similarly good form. 

Yes, we knocked out Germany in the Euros last year, but they have been in a perpetual state of decline since winning the World Cup in 2014. 

I agree that there isn't an outstanding side in international football (lot of teams seem to be going through the motions, lots of older players fading). 

Anything can happen. After the final group matches today it's basically a new competition 

I didn't have much faith in England but having now seen some of the other nations I don't think we have anything to fear. We are more than a match for any side, certainly in attack

Defensively we are suspect and do have lapses in concentration but if we can cut that out then I'd fancy us against anyone 

You were impressive against Iran but the cold hard facts are you’ve won 2 out of your last 9 competitive fixtures.

You’ve got a shot at it and you have some top quality players, Bellingham is scary good, but I wouldn’t be putting the champagne on ice just yet. Just take it one game at a time.