Gregory out..?

29 minutes ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

Here here... 

The only person in that back three who looked comfortable was Heneghan. He was also excellent at winning the aerial duels as the ball was hoofed forward. But every single time iorfa found the ball at his feet, he looked terrified, he's lost all confidence it would seem and as much as I hate singling out, his defending was absolutely horrendous. 

After looking so so positive and playing some lovely footy, we concede three sloppy goals. It's not good enough at all. 

Not impressed with Henegan TBH

goes walk about and is not quick enough to recover 

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Nobody's panicking.

It seems fairly clear that 3-5-2 will be our main formation this season, which is fine.

But Moore has spoken about having greater tactical flexibility, and yesterday's game was a prime example of where that could have paid off: once Portsmouth started targeting the space behind Johnson, we could have switched to a back four, cut off their supply lines, weathered the storm, and maintained our lead. 

Instead, we stuck with what we'd got and conceded three very similar goals.

Tactical flexibility doesn’t necessarily mean you have to change formation.

All the issues we had could easily have been sorted within the formation we had with a few subtle tweaks.

The formation is pretty irrelevant.

Too many Football Manager geeks nowadays.

Liverpool play against the best players and the best managers in the World but they rarely change formation.

Chelsea won the PL with three at the back and didn’t change to a flat four every time City or Liverpool put them under a bit of pressure.

At a lower level you saw the success United had under Wilder with three at the back. He very rarely changed formation just because they were under pressure.

Its farcical to think that a team that has geared up and trained for a particular formation will suddenly look better when they change to a formation to which they are not familiar.

Yesterday, Portsmouth managed to get four or five crosses into the area in the whole match! Our centre backs and keeper didn’t defend them with basic errors. No amount of changing formation is going to change that.

Its just utter utter rounduns.

And by keeping with the same formation we continued to create chances, scored an equaliser and up until the sending off looked the most likely to win it. In that scenario, why on earth would you change formation?

Its just the typical knee jerk panic that goes on every time we don’t win a match.

I hate to tell everybody but we will actually lose a few this season too.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Gregory Red card.

I expect we'll stick with 3-5-2 as that's what we'll have trained for all summer.

However, if it was me...

• Keep the excellent midfield 3.

• Go to a back four, where everyone knows what they're doing.

• Relive Johnson of defending and let him concentrate on his attacking capabilities.

Stockdale

Hunt     Heneghan      Ihekwe       James

Bashers     Byers    Bannan

Windass          Smith          Johnson

Ahh, just ignore me chaps.

The 3-5-2 is here to stay. And will probably get us plenty of points.

Just a post of frustration after an excellent opening 35 was thrown away.

That looks good because Iorfa doesn't play. Other than that we really need a defensive midfielder to replace Luongo.

2 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Rovrum mates all said Ihekwe was better  in a 4 next to Wood organising everything.
He’s currently on the left of a 3, with no -one organising.

Unchallenged crosses from their right seem to back this up. 

He played in a 3 for most of last season and got in the team of the season….

37 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Its farcical to think that a team that has geared up and trained for a particular formation will suddenly look better when they change to a formation to which they are not familiar.

There's not a defender in this country that hasn't been brought up to play in a back four at some stage of their development.

37 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

No amount of changing formation is going to change that.

Its just utter utter rounduns.

A proper full backan marking a winger has more chsnce of stopping a cross than a wing back who is being overloaded 2 and 3  to 1 every time the opposition attacks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

There's not a defender in this country that hasn't been brought up to play in a back four at some stage of their development.

A proper full backan marking a winger has more chsnce of stopping a cross than a wing back who is being overloaded 2 and 3  to 1 every time the opposition attacks.

If a wing back is being over loaded by two or three every time then clearly there are areas on the pitch where we can exploit their lack of numbers.

For every strength of a formation there is a weakness.

Thats what the best managers do, they analyse what is happening and quickly get info onto the pitch to counter what is happening! They rarely conclude changing formations is the answer.

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Gregory Red card.

I expect we'll stick with 3-5-2 as that's what we'll have trained for all summer.

However, if it was me...

• Relive Johnson of defending and let him concentrate on his attacking capabilities.

Stockdale

Completely agree I called this line up in another thread too right 

Darren Moore did say we would playa back four at times and he also mentioned that just because we haven’t played any it doesn’t mean we’ve not been working on different formations in training and preseason. 

I think it’s the obvious changes if he dies it or not is another thing 

I would be against palmer playing right back and of MK dons have pace in that area I wouldn’t be against Iorfa playing right back 

I also wouldn’t be against Dawson starting but I think your right with that line up 

Heneghan has looked good so far and Ihiekwe was in the L1 team of the season last year. It’s too early for a knee-jerk reaction but there’s still work to do.

I can see why Iorfa was played as his pace is useful if we push up higher. I’d rather have the balance though and play Famewo on the left of a 3 but that may mean the defence sitting 5 yards deeper.

Obviously that means we then need the legs in midfield (which I think we’ve got) and the front 2 to hold the ball up a little longer for the support to arrive. 

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Gregory Red card.

However, if it was me...

Stockdale

Just been saying the same thing.

The wingback style over complicates things, it inhibits the ‘winger’ aspect and compromises the ‘full back’ element.

The confusion was palpable and I’m not convinced DM has the ability to coach / drill this way of playing.

Simplify it and each player may then know what they are supposed to be doing and where they’re supposed to be at any given point.

• Like 1

Without harping backwards, having Dean or Hutch in the middle of that three yesterday and we look so much better.

i also think that Luongo is a huge Miss in front and I'd like to see us try Bakinson in there to play as a shield.

id personally play 4-3-3 if I was choosing but we'd ideally need a wide right forward [Roofe / Wilks] to play it properly.

If it stays the same formation then we need two new CBs who are comfortable on the ball, I still think Dean and Gibson should be targeted 

• Like 1