Gregory out..?

I’m a big fan of our 352 but your line-up does look very good.

However, stick Famewo on the left of our back 3 and already I think we have better balance and should be more able to cut out danger up our left.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Gregory Red card.

I expect we'll stick with 3-5-2 as that's what we'll have trained for all summer.

However, if it was me...

• Keep the excellent midfield 3.

• Go to a back four, where everyone knows what they're doing.

• Relive Johnson of defending and let him concentrate on his attacking capabilities.

Stockdale

Hunt     Heneghan      Ihekwe       James

Bashers     Byers    Bannan

Windass          Smith          Johnson

Ahh, just ignore me chaps.

The 3-5-2 is here to stay. And will probably get us plenty of points.

Just a post of frustration after an excellent opening 35 was thrown away.

I was saying the same yesterday. With 3 at the back, you need your centre halves to be good on the ball to build attacks but those 3 are not a patch on storey, Dean and hutch. It just looks clunky. I think those defenders that we’ve brought in would suit a back 4. Moreover, Iorfa is really struggling .

If we do go to a back 4, we could do with at least one wide attacker before the end of the window. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Smith slots in for Gregory. It does highlight our lack of depth up front though and needs addressing asap this window.

The bench on Saturday is likely to contain zero attacking threat, even if we have Paterson and/or Sow named on there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm going to post an amalgamation of a couple of my earlier posts from other threads, as it seems appropriate for this topic.

No doubt 3-5-2 is here to stay, but when 3-5-2 isn't working, we have to be prepared to change things.

Moore spoke about wanting greater tactical flexibility, yet when push came to shove yesterday, we just stuck with what we were doing and watched as Portsmouth took advantage to score three fairly similar goals.

Straight from the restart, it was evident they'd been told to get the ball into that space behind our wingbacks and attack from there, which they did repeatedly.

If we're going to play 3-5-2, we have to accept a certain weakness to attacks down the flanks, but if we're going to couple that with an inability to win headers in our own penalty box, then we're in massive trouble.

Yesterday was crying out for a tactical switch, but we just kept things as they were and saw three points turn into one.

Do that too many more times this season and automatic promotion will be beyond us.

It's all well and good talking about tactical flexibility, but we need to actually see it in games when the situation is crying out for it.

You've hit the nail on the head, tactical flexibility,  not moores strong point, cost us again, nowt new. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Gregory Red card.

I expect we'll stick with 3-5-2 as that's what we'll have trained for all summer.

However, if it was me...

• Relive Johnson of defending and let him concentrate on his attacking capabilities.

Stockdale

That just shows how much we need some extra pace and creativity up top. Shoe horning Johnson in to a front 3 is a poor move.

Malik wilks and windass either side of Smith or Gregory makes that formation look far more assertive 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm going to post an amalgamation of a couple of my earlier posts from other threads, as it seems appropriate for this topic.

No doubt 3-5-2 is here to stay, but when 3-5-2 isn't working, we have to be prepared to change things.

Moore spoke about wanting greater tactical flexibility, yet when push came to shove yesterday, we just stuck with what we were doing and watched as Portsmouth took advantage to score three fairly similar goals.

Straight from the restart, it was evident they'd been told to get the ball into that space behind our wingbacks and attack from there, which they did repeatedly.

If we're going to play 3-5-2, we have to accept a certain weakness to attacks down the flanks, but if we're going to couple that with an inability to win headers in our own penalty box, then we're in massive trouble.

Yesterday was crying out for a tactical switch, but we just kept things as they were and saw three points turn into one.

Do that too many more times this season and automatic promotion will be beyond us.

It's all well and good talking about tactical flexibility, but we need to actually see it in games when the situation is crying out for it.

Completely agree. 

We need to go one step further in this analysis for me. When the ball was played behind Hunt; Hunt, Iorfa and Byers would deal with the threat. No one can question Iorfa defending on the deck and Byers was always available. I can’t remember one cross coming in from that side, when it did Henegan dealt with it.

It’s the LHS where we are all over the place. On goal one Windass was the defender and Johnson is nowhere to be seen on all three. Goal 2 Henegan is dragged out there and Ike is in no man’s land. When the cross then comes in, Iorfa stands too far off his man to win the header.

So, to fix this issue, we need to cut out the crosses coming in from the LHS and Henegan needs to stay tight on the man in the middle, for two goals he is pulled left.

• Like 1

You’re all mad.

Hes built the squad for 3-5-2, he shouldn’t change that after one match.

We played really well going forward but didn’t defend crosses into the box. It’s beyond me how you think a change in formation will turn our centre backs into Nigel Pearson.

Just chill, we played well. We played well from January onwards.

We’ll be ok but we will fail to win some matches. We can’t have this panic every time.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, debram said:

You've hit the nail on the head, tactical flexibility,  not moores strong point, cost us again, nowt new. 

I don’t often agree with you but I do on this point. DM just not learning. You’ve got to be flexible even in this league. They changed at half time and different game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

You’re all mad.

Hes built the squad for 3-5-2, he shouldn’t change that after one match.

We played really well going forward but didn’t defend crosses into the box. It’s beyond me how you think a change in formation will turn our centre backs into Nigel Pearson.

Just chill, we played well. We played well from January onwards.

We’ll be ok but we will fail to win some matches. We can’t have this panic every time.

Nobody's panicking.

It seems fairly clear that 3-5-2 will be our main formation this season, which is fine.

But Moore has spoken about having greater tactical flexibility, and yesterday's game was a prime example of where that could have paid off: once Portsmouth started targeting the space behind Johnson, we could have switched to a back four, cut off their supply lines, weathered the storm, and maintained our lead. 

Instead, we stuck with what we'd got and conceded three very similar goals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Gregory Red card.

However, if it was me...

Stockdale

Totally agree Snoots, yesterday 3 at back didn't work once they sussed it.

A traditional back 4 with full backs cuts out those crosses we know we can't defend.

Wing backs leave the flanks open when the opposition break out.

DM said earlier in the week he wouldn't play 3-5-2 all season but even though it was obvious it wasn't working yesterday there was no change.

Agree 3-5-2 is probably here to stay, so buckle your belts guys for a rocky ride.

Edited by Ray Von shabba
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Got to do something that defence is Horrific

Here here... 

The only person in that back three who looked comfortable was Heneghan. He was also excellent at winning the aerial duels as the ball was hoofed forward. But every single time iorfa found the ball at his feet, he looked terrified, he's lost all confidence it would seem and as much as I hate singling out, his defending was absolutely horrendous. 

After looking so so positive and playing some lovely footy, we concede three sloppy goals. It's not good enough at all. 

• Like 1