1974/75 worst season ever?

3 minutes ago, Since 1971 said:

Yes, I've still got some of those. I remember lots of articles on Spurs and players like Trevor Brooking and Glenn Hoddle. The club ditched the idea at the end of 1982/83 season. I can't believe that's 40 years ago now.

i know, Really starting show my age now.🧐

SWFC Top Goals Scorers 1974/75 Season:

6 - Eric McMordie

4 - Tommy Craig

3 - Bobby Brown, Eric Potts

2 - Colin Harvey, John Holsgrove, Brian Joicey, Bernard Shaw, David Sunley

1 - Peter Eustace, Ron Ferguson, Peter Rodrigues, Alan Thompson, Own Goal

And er, that's it. 31 goals in 44 games.

4 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

Apart from a 4-4 draw v Manchester United, it was a very depressing season, went the last 17 games with 3 draws and 14 defeats, 21 points (2pts for a win), 

That was one bad 9 months, first time in 3rd division, eventually big Jack was the one who brought us back to life

The mental scars of that season will go to my grave with me. 

Awful, awful season. The only positive were the supporters who turned up hone and away knowing full well what shiete the team would produce during the following 90 minutes. 

23 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

The fun part about the program was they did different colours.   Blue, Orange, Purple - 

The best programs of that era were a couple of years earlier (73/74 perhaps) with a player photo inside.  Still have a full set of that series...

I remember the player photos given away in the programme. They were on card and about 6"x4". I still have quite a few of them

image.png.14915a058b7fce6e89ec96454e9a8411.pngimage.png.f3b22e2acf530ba9a357ffb65500b6d9.png

image.png.f77204a8036284eb75417508a4ab4ae3.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I can't remember which season was worse now, 74/75 or 75/76

But they were the worst two seasons I remember as a Wednesdayite and I'm 63

In one of those seasons, from January to the end of the season we scored 3 goals or something like that, my memory plays tricks

I remember we used to cheer corners as if we had scored, and we didn't get many of those either

Me and my mate would often go on the Leppings Lane end back then, mainly because my mate fancied a lass in the kiosk

He'd spend most of the game around the back chatting to her

Saw more action, I would imagine

5 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Cheers.I Think its been more or less answered now. Was there a pitch invasion after the final whistle because me and my uncle left at least a couple of minutes early.

Not exactly, but Jack Charlton was in the North Stand watching and walked across the pitch at full time to speak to the directors and take the job!

"1974/75 worst season ever?"

Depends on the context....if we're talking about football on the pitch it's certainly a top contender...it was dire.

However...off the pitch, 74/75 plus others in the 70's, were probably the best times in following football I've ever had, I was 18/19 years old & was going to virtually every game home & away & to be part of that Wednesday faithful at that time was inspiring, I learned about loyalty, comradery & unbreakable spirit.....I've never loved football more than I did then...awesome memories, I wish I'd had the forethought to have carried a camera with me, I'd love to be able to post those images on here now.

• Like 3

I know people get all misty eyed about the past and that’s fine, but it is almost comical to suggest any season could possibly be worse than our 20/21 season.  As a reminder 

1.  No fans saw any matches live the entire season.

2.  We finished rock bottom of the league and we were relegated

3.  We were absolutely awful all season

4.  We had a points deduction, a transfer embargo and stopped paying the players leading to threatened player strikes

5.  We got through 6 managers, the last of whom nearly died.

we will never have a season like that one ever: no fans saw any match - that alone makes it the worst season ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Whitecap Owl said:

The fun part about the program was they did different colours.   Blue, Orange, Purple - 

The best programs of that era were a couple of years earlier (73/74 perhaps) with a player photo inside.  Still have a full set of that series...

And for 1 programme  it  covered 2  games..

38 minutes ago, HarryJ said:

If not already mentioned didn’t Ken Knighton score the late winner to keep us up? 

Yes that's correct, last game of the 73/74 season against Bolton at home. Scored with a the winner in the last dew minutes to keep us up. Mass celebrations like we had won the European cup!!!

• Like 1

Guest Andy W
13 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

it was for me going to the game. Remember my uncle driving me S6 in his delivery Van with it still stinking of Fish that he delivered at Castle Market earlier in the day. WTF:

Memories eh..scary when  think its soon gunna be 50 years ago