1974/75 worst season ever?

2 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

So, I can't help myself 🙂

My book on the period is still available in the megastore, Amazon and various book shops. Lots of people seemed to like it. 

Three people on Amazon gave it a 1* review. I reckon they were Blunts though 🙂

51a1x17UUOL._AC_SL1500_-1.jpg

And I would heartily recommend it. So many memories of games that I was at with a great bunch of lads.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

So, I can't help myself 🙂

My book on the period is still available in the megastore, Amazon and various book shops. Lots of people seemed to like it. 

Three people on Amazon gave it a 1* review. I reckon they were Blunts though 🙂

51a1x17UUOL._AC_SL1500_-1.jpg

Brilliant book *, about a awful period, I don't think any other club would survive such a fall from grace,  len Ashurst, Jack Charlton and Howard Wilkinson played a massive part in the clubs rehabilitation, but huge credit also to the loyal supporters who bought shares, did the club lottery and turned up home and away regardless of results. 

* apart from a picture which wasn't from that period.20211214_082146.thumb.jpg.63a2384b7aa6e21b8da7e1a8d8d27593.jpg

On 28/06/2022 at 21:04, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Here's one of my favourite things from those times. Len Ashurst giving his view of things after the Southend game. 

EwyiLqxXAAYyk-V.jpeg.jpg

I was at that Mansfield game he talks about. I wonder who the player was who said he didn’t try. 

4 hours ago, rickygoo said:

I was at that Mansfield game he talks about. I wonder who the player was who said he didn’t try. 

I was there too, quite frankly you could have said all of them, we were shocking!

9 hours ago, James67 said:

Brilliant book *, about a awful period, I don't think any other club would survive such a fall from grace,  len Ashurst, Jack Charlton and Howard Wilkinson played a massive part in the clubs rehabilitation, but huge credit also to the loyal supporters who bought shares, did the club lottery and turned up home and away regardless of results. 

* apart from a picture which wasn't from that period.20211214_082146.thumb.jpg.63a2384b7aa6e21b8da7e1a8d8d27593.jpg

Thank you very much. 

It looks like I stand corrected on the picture. I follow a rule of thumb that I need three sources before I put something on paper. 

That picture was sent to me by the supporters club 'referee'. Two people from Hallam also thought it was from the mid-70s when the station was launched. I'll need to take it on the chin if not!

On 29/06/2022 at 04:05, Utah Owl said:

Not exactly, but Jack Charlton was in the North Stand watching and walked across the pitch at full time to speak to the directors and take the job!

Me and my Dad were in the North Stand that day and big Jack was sat on the next row to us. I was 12 at the time and I had been going to watch Wednesday since I was 7 (this is my 50th year of attendance/misery). It was the first time I’d seen an England hero close up so I asked for his autograph. He duly signed my programme along with loads of other kids asking at the same time (signature on the place on the front cover where the opponents name was printed). Remember it like it was yesterday!

95B28761-FD70-4071-B775-55C7DFC07E3F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Guest Andy W
On 28/06/2022 at 19:48, parkfieldowl14 said:

trying to think what you could buy for 10p in those days.

A programme

4 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Thank you very much. 

It looks like I stand corrected on the picture. I follow a rule of thumb that I need three sources before I put something on paper. 

That picture was sent to me by the supporters club 'referee'. Two people from Hallam also thought it was from the mid-70s when the station was launched. I'll need to take it on the chin if not

Mick Lyons is the give away 

4 hours ago, leetheowl said:

Me and my Dad were in the North Stand that day and big Jack was sat on the next row to us. I was 12 at the time and I had been going to watch Wednesday since I was 7 (this is my 50th year of attendance/misery). It was the first time I’d seen an England hero close up so I asked for his autograph. He duly signed my programme along with loads of other kids asking at the same time (signature on the place on the front cover where the opponents name was printed). Remember it like it was yesterday!

95B28761-FD70-4071-B775-55C7DFC07E3F.jpeg

Yep I was in there too he had a presence about him big Jack, what a hero he was..

I remember the lowest crowd of 7.444 too in the other post, a real low that was.

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, Watto said:

Mick Lyons is the give away 

I hadn't seen that when I was writing it! I got sent the pic by someone who was in the supporters club - who is in the pic and who told me it was from the mid70s.  Two Radio Hallam people agreed with that. 

As I say, I'll take it on the chin as a mistake. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mighty Quinn said:

Yep I was in there too he had a presence about him big Jack, what a hero he was..

I remember the lowest crowd of 7.444 too in the other post, a real low that was.

That was the lowest at that point. Following season we only got 6,900 odd against Colchester!

• Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 19:20, Daniele Giovanni said:

Apart from a 4-4 draw v Manchester United, it was a very depressing season, went the last 17 games with 3 draws and 14 defeats, 21 points (2pts for a win), 

That was one bad 9 months, first time in 3rd division, eventually big Jack was the one who brought us back to life

There was a great 3-3 draw at Meadow Lane, with a 4 minutes' hat trick by their player.  At least that match was entertaining, the rest was mostly dross

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

There was a great 3-3 draw at Meadow Lane, with a 4 minutes' hat trick by their player.  At least that match was entertaining, the rest was mostly dross

Ian Scanlon.

Fastest hatrick of all time (at that point) in something like 2 min 48 sec. All started with a hotly disputed penalty. Luckily there were still 25 minutes to go and somehow we dug in and pulled it back to 3-3 courtesy of a brace from McMordie. We were all on a covered side terrace and it was bedlam when the equaliser went in.

12 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Ian Scanlon.

Fastest hatrick of all time (at that point) in something like 2 min 48 sec. All started with a hotly disputed penalty. Luckily there were still 25 minutes to go and somehow we dug in and pulled it back to 3-3 courtesy of a brace from McMordie. We were all on a covered side terrace and it was bedlam when the equaliser went in.

I was there that day with my dad and brother, I'd be a mad 10 year old Wednesdayite and can still remember going beserk when we equalised, remember standing on the open end behind the goal which we shared with their fans.

Amazingly the season before we beat them 5-1 at their place and I witnessed that aswell..........sadly they were probably my happiest memories of the early to mid 70s away from home.