SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Hutch v Plymouth.

Anyway, he's our weakest starter by far.

He regularly stops the playing out by going too far forward, left Storey with no options loads of times last season, and even from the couple of preseason games I've seen, he still has the suicide inside pass when he's pressed.

Yes he puts a good ball in, but it's usually into areas where the strikers aren't. 

Corbeanu started 6, scored 2 and had 2 assists. Hunt had 2 assists at that point.

If Palmer, Pato and NML hadn't been needed elsewhere, he would never have got back in the team after being dropped in September.

He doesn’t put a corner in though? It’s a second phase from a corner which is why Hutchinson is still up, but was a great cross from the RWB position. 

We as a team, were night and day between the first and second half of the season. In the 20 games of the second half of the season Hunt played he had 2 goals & 4 assist of which we lost 3 and kept 7 clean sheets.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but Hunt was a very good player in that 2nd half of the season for me and I’m not being simplistic enough to start over analysing the type of assist he got and rather look at him and the team as whole during that period. 

• Like 2

Think Theo has a chance of making it in the premier league in 2/3 years if he keep saying developing, his ability is there he just needs to learn not to do much and deliver the ball earlier.

would have loved him back here this season, a front line in a 4-2-3-1 would have been amazing 

Smith/Gregory

Windass.                    Bannan.         Corbeanu

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 0114 said:

He doesn’t put a corner in though? It’s a second phase from a corner which is why Hutchinson is still up, but was a great cross from the RWB position. 

We as a team, were night and day between the first and second half of the season. In the 20 games of the second half of the season Hunt played he had 2 goals & 4 assist of which we lost 3 and kept 7 clean sheets.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but Hunt was a very good player in that 2nd half of the season for me and I’m not being simplistic enough to start over analysing the type of assist he got and rather look at him and the team as whole during that period. 

Just saying about covering while he bombs.

He did improve in the second half, but a lot was down to Storey covering for him, as he kept getting caught in possession and giving the ball away or the inside pass to a marked player or straight to the opposition which too many times immediately started a counter in behind him, which often he didn't track back for, leaving Storey stranded.

See the video for the type of pass I'm on about. He did two more v Rayo, one to Iorfa with 2 attackers on him and one straight to one of their midfielders. (if it doesn't start at the right place, it's at 0.52)

He's a decent player, but if we're chasing autos then we can't afford for him to be at RWB, he's too prone to mistakes and doesn't offer enough going forward.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

Just saying about covering while he bombs.

He did improve in the second half, but a lot was down to Storey covering for him, as he kept getting caught in possession and giving the ball away or the inside pass to a marked player or straight to the opposition which too many times immediately started a counter in behind him, which often he didn't track back for, leaving Storey stranded.

See the video for the type of pass I'm on about. He did two more v Rayo, one to Iorfa with 2 attackers on him and one straight to one of their midfielders. (if it doesn't start at the right place, it's at 0.52)

He's a decent player, but if we're chasing autos then we can't afford for him to be at RWB, he's too prone to mistakes and doesn't offer enough going forward.

I don’t care one bit about friendlies mate, although what you’re saying could be down to what the manager encourages the team to do. 

Like I pointed out above, if he individually and collectively contributes like he did over 20 games in the second half of the season then we are good enough for the automatics.

9 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I don’t care one bit about friendlies mate, although what you’re saying could be down to what the manager encourages the team to do. 

Like I pointed out above, if he individually and collectively contributes like he did over 20 games in the second half of the season then we are good enough for the automatics.

The pass is one he did many, many times last season, leading directly to goals v Plymouth and Sunderland for two examples.

With the way we played last season, any wingback should have been producing so much more though. Same with this season.

Anyways, it's just my opinion and matters not one jot, so I'll stop here.

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

The pass is one he did many, many times last season, leading directly to goals v Plymouth and Sunderland for two examples.

With the way we played last season, any wingback should have been producing so much more though. Same with this season.

I think you’re slightly nit picking personally, I’ve seen Bannan make a bad pass. 

Like I’ve pointed out, I judge someone over numerous games individually & collectively. Not the type of assists they have & one miss placed pass in a pre season game my friend. 

For me, it’s hard to dispute one of the key up changes in form last season was using 2 proper wing backs & adding Byers & Luongo into midfield. 

57 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Hutch v Plymouth.

Anyway, he's our weakest starter by far.

He regularly stops the playing out by going too far forward, left Storey with no options loads of times last season, and even from the couple of preseason games I've seen, he still has the suicide inside pass when he's pressed.

Yes he puts a good ball in, but it's usually into areas where the strikers aren't. 

Corbeanu started 6, scored 2 and had 2 assists. Hunt had 2 assists at that point.

If Palmer, Pato and NML hadn't been needed elsewhere, he would never have got back in the team after being dropped in September.

All the wing backs can do is put balls across into the right areas and it's upto the forwards to make runs to get on end of things.  

Only really had Gregory last season to aim for, having smith up top will make a huge difference this year.

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl

28 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I think you’re slightly nit picking personally, I’ve seen Bannan make a bad pass. 

Like I’ve pointed out, I judge someone over numerous games individually & collectively. Not the type of assists they have & one miss placed pass in a pre season game my friend. 

For me, it’s hard to dispute one of the key up changes in form last season was using 2 proper wing backs & adding Byers & Luongo into midfield. 

I'm with you. Not a great start by Hunt last season and rightly dropped,  but after his recall  he was very good.

17 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

All the wing backs can do is put balls across into the right areas and it's upto the forwards to make runs to get on end of things.  

Only really had Gregory last season to aim for, having smith up top will make a huge difference this year.

Agreed. Gregory did a video last year commenting on all his goals. He seemed to be complimentary about the service he got from Hunt. I think of all of the opinions on the service from Hunt the bloke who’s job it was to get on the end of it is the one I’d take. 

• Like 2

Corbeanu had such quick but wierdly spindly legs it was like a water boatman doing step overs but like a young Chris Eagles didn’t always know what to do other than take a man on. Certainly potential though.

Brannagan moving on from Oxford is a big plus for us 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I tend to be more in your camp than the other view. It's true he started the season poorly and got better but I made the argument a while back that I'd rather have started NML there than Hunt. I'm just not convinced Hunt makes or saves enough goals and against Sunderland, for example, he offered very little. I think if NML had have played there more than Hunt we maybe would have conceded a couple more goals but scored a fair few more, plus I think an opposition player would be more wary of NML than Hunt. Going into this season I hope he proves me wrong, but if we adopt 3-5-2 most of the season it's an area I feel we could be lacking in. Johnson has his own shortfalls but his delivery is as good as I've seen at Hillsborough for a fair few years (Brunt and Marshall spring to mind as similar), plus he can beat a man and has better pace than Hunt. 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

perhaps because Theo isn’t a RWB and Moore constantly played him out of position. Was ridiculous 

How did we do after we switched to 3-5-2?

Did our form improve or not? 

Or should we have stuck with a formation to suit poor Theo?

Absolute drivel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Theo has got it in him to play at the top level, pace few trucks as nd got shot on him? But in a team and system that allows him to stay up the pitch where he most effective. When he came on against us for me Johnson immediately clattered him and made a statement, now Johnson no Vinny jones but he knew and carried out the thing that stopped him playing his game against us,probably cus he’d trained with him and knew how to stop him and he’ll have those battles all his career. Going back to hunt think he very steady for this league unfortunately looks like he loosing a bit of pace , yes we could get better but personally have him there over palmer . A young hungry rwb hopefully from prem on loan could give us more from that position  

• Like 2

With assists, you have to remember it only counts as an assist when the goal is scored. I think if possible, when comparing players in similar roles, you should look at chances created if possible as this may show a better reflection. A player may only get 3 assists but could have created 10-15 chances due to blocks, misses etc. we've seen plenty of players miss golden opportunities when it looks easier to score.

Theo plays as youthful player eager to impress which you can’t fault him. The concern I see for Theo as they get older you see players not being as sharp or as energetic.

I don’t mean when they start getting towards the end of their careers I mean genuinely young players that Hirst on to the scene in their teens tend to drop a pace after a season or two

I put this down to being more cautious or professional which ever either way. If Theo loses that edge he currently has but doesn’t develop his footballing brain. I can see him moving abroad maybe play in America. Because even the championship will be beyond him 

he’s got a big few years of development I’ll be interested to see how he gets on in the championship. He showed promise and real talent here, but neither did he pull up any trees here or at MK Dons so I’ll be interested to se how he gets on at Blackpool.

will he be  a superstar, will he be a Canadian JJ? Fine margins 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Bassett said:

Think Theo has a chance of making it in the premier league in 2/3 years if he keep saying developing, his ability is there he just needs to learn not to do much and deliver the ball earlier.

would have loved him back here this season, a front line in a 4-2-3-1 would have been amazing 

Smith/Gregory

Windass.                    Bannan.         Corbeanu

I think Theo would have fitted in well with our approach in the second half of the season but TBF I don't think DM made the most of his abilities in the negative first half of the season. His replacement TJJ was a complete waste of money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1