SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

23 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If I remember right

When we were embargoed we were allowed to sign freebies and loans to make the squad numbers up to 23

If Derby are short of players, then they will be allowed to bring players in to make their squad up

It's not preferential treatment, we were allowed to do the same

Derby have certainly had preferential treatment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

Can’t see Wigan making a challenge in this division this season

Charlton are a basket case of a club

Portsmouth are skint

MK lost their best players

We have a very good chance this year

Wigan will have a job competing in this division this season …

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, modboy said:

Think it'll be a hard league this season.

Barnsley will expect to be up there, Derby too, us, Bolton, Ipswich, Mk Dons, Portsmouth, Wigan, Charlton, Plymouth plus there's always a couple of surprises in this league

First few fixtures are pretty key but very tough

I think it’s fair to say that Wigan doing well in this league next season would indeed be a surprise seeing as they got promoted out of it last season….😉

• Haha 3

West Brom among five teams in chase to sign Elliot Anderson

West Brom are still in the race to sign Newcastle United midfielder Elliot Anderson on loan but they face stiff competition, according to The Athletic.

The 21-year-old was a part of the Bristol Rovers team that remarkably earned promotion from League One with a stunning 7-0 win over Scunthorpe United on the last day to usurp Northampton Town’s goal difference with Anderson scoring the crucial seventh goal.

As a result, the Baggies want to give him the chance at a higher level but so do Stoke City and Luton Town in the Championship and Sheffield Wednesday and Rovers in League One.

Birmingham City, Reading and Kaiserslautern are chasing ex-Huddersfield Town defender Naby Sarr, Football Insider understands. 

The centre-back, 28, is a free agent after leaving Huddersfield earlier this summer upon the expiration of his contract following two seasons at the club.

1 hour ago, Owl66 said:

Good morning guys been off for a few days because nothing to say so will update you all now ! Victor braga will NOT be signing for Sheffield Wednesday he officially signed in Saudi in the early hours of this morning it’s not hit the press yet so if any of you want to google it you can it won’t show until a few days time so now you can guess what my relationship was with the player, back to Victor he was offered a 2 year deal at Wednesday with year option DM agreed it ( wanted competition in that department) David Downes agreed it ( head of recruitment) went to the chairman he said ask the player to wait till start of season to see how dawson gets on unbelievable as if any player is going to do that !! The player stayed at my pals house for 3 weeks waiting for his medical I know personally as I drove him to Hillsborough to see the stadium and was selling him the dream even to the point of buying little lad a Wednesday shirt from club shop😂looked at a couple of rental houses in Sheffield meanwhile the lad interest from hull and Swansea but wanted to work with a fellow Brazilian every day Adriano basso he’d already turned down two offers in Belgium better financially then Wednesdays offer so this player WAS putting career/dreams over financially gain but in the end after long many conversations with his agent and couple of agents who are my friends including me ( you now know my job from this😂) he decided to take the job by the 5 times the salary he would have been on at Wednesday and even up to yesterday ( Tuesday 5th) he was giving Wednesday through his agent time to think about getting his deal done but Darren said yesterday in a call chairman wants to go with the two he’s got and at the end of the day he pays the wages. Fair play to DM he pushed and pushed for this deal as he really liked Victor but the man at the top was undecided so unfortunately Wednesday have missed out on a top keeper at the end of his contract on a free 30 years old who would no doubt have been at Wednesday a long time and BTW just to show his pedigree last season I went to watch him a few times last season and did brilliantly against porto,sporting lisbon benfica and braga and also personally spoke to Carlos at braga who recommended and spoke glowing of his time at Wednesday. So right I’m ready SWFCSI to send my £100 as I promised to your food bank. 

Thought you were dead 

05155120-186E-411C-9F9F-AA793F62BFCB.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

West Brom among five teams in chase to sign Elliot Anderson

West Brom are still in the race to sign Newcastle United midfielder Elliot Anderson on loan but they face stiff competition, according to The Athletic.

The 21-year-old was a part of the Bristol Rovers team that remarkably earned promotion from League One with a stunning 7-0 win over Scunthorpe United on the last day to usurp Northampton Town’s goal difference with Anderson scoring the crucial seventh goal.

As a result, the Baggies want to give him the chance at a higher level but so do Stoke City and Luton Town in the Championship and Sheffield Wednesday and Rovers in League One.

Seems we’ve been chasing Anderson for a while. Been reported several times by many  different sources so we must be keen. 

Not sure where he ends up, but it will be assed where he is most likely to play and which team suits him most, I’m unsure if that’s Wednesday. 

Edited by 0114

Nobody knows how much Derby are paying in wages but at the moment they're only filling a squad with free agents so I'm not sure what people are getting annoyed about. My understanding is only Wildsmith, NML and Barkhuizen so far confirmed with Chester, Hourihane and McGoldrick likely to follow.

All are recognisable names yes, but all are also around age 30 and seemingly past their best, and aside from the Wednesday rejects the others were all bit-part players in mediocre championship teams. None of them started more than 15 games last season.

If this is the type of player they're going for it'll take some excellent management to mould them into a team capable of challenging at the top-end... although as they still have at least another 7 players to sign to be able to fill a matchday squad we'll see who else they bring in.

I prefer our signings for sure. Not as well-known maybe but the likes of Smith, Ihiekwe and Heneghan are probably at their peak, Stockdale just had a very good season of playing week in week out, and Vaulks started more than half Cardiff's games in the championship last season.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, but I wish we weren't lumped in with Derby, we didn't go into administration and reasonable to expect the terms of any embargo to be different and more stringent.

Of course they should be allowed to recruit a squad, but my concern is the apparent financial freedom being afforded to do so, after a prolonged period of administration and avoiding creditor debts.

Administration is cheating, pure and simple and there should be some consequences to resetting a club and wiping debt. IMO if a club can't afford to pay their creditors, many of which small businesses, shouldn't be allowed to compete with clubs in the league above to sign players and outbid them on wages. 

I've always thought that when a team goes into administration, they stop operating as that team

They should lose their name and history as a reminder

Leeds would have to drop United, Leicester would have to drop City, that sort of thing, it would be a lasting reminder

• Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Just me or glad the Brazilian keeper not signing ? If indeed he was going to? We have one keeper who had some of best stats from last season in this league and best keeper out of league below on our books? Now braga MIGHT have been better but that’s it…a gamble ? Rather spend wotever we have in the kitty on areas we need to strengthen ie back up lest wing back and cb or two

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Nobody knows how much Derby are paying in wages but at the moment they're only filling a squad with free agents so I'm not sure what people are getting annoyed about. My understanding is only Wildsmith, NML and Barkhuizen so far confirmed with Chester, Hourihane and McGoldrick likely to follow.

All are recognisable names yes, but all are also around age 30 and seemingly past their best, and aside from the Wednesday rejects the others were all bit-part players in mediocre championship teams. None of them started more than 15 games last season.

If this is the type of player they're going for it'll take some excellent management to mould them into a team capable of challenging at the top-end... although as they still have at least another 7 players to sign to be able to fill a matchday squad we'll see who else they bring in.

I prefer our signings for sure. Not as well-known maybe but the likes of Smith, Ihiekwe and Heneghan are probably at their peak, Stockdale just had a very good season of playing week in week out, and Vaulks started more than half Cardiff's games in the championship last season.

They can only sign free agents and are limited to wages they can offer.

If they end up with a squad full of 30+ year olds then they will struggle over long haul.  Think they could sneak play offs though 

1 hour ago, striker said:

Agree, but I wish we weren't lumped in with Derby, we didn't go into administration and reasonable to expect the terms of any embargo to be different and more stringent.

Of course they should be allowed to recruit a squad, but my concern is the apparent financial freedom being afforded to do so, after a prolonged period of administration and avoiding creditor debts.

Administration is cheating, pure and simple and there should be some consequences to resetting a club and wiping debt. IMO if a club can't afford to pay their creditors, many of which small businesses, shouldn't be allowed to compete with clubs in the league above to sign players and outbid them on wages. 

Completely agree 

I think they should be restricted to signing League One and Two players for a period of time. It doesn't sit right that they're suddenly outbidding Championship clubs to get players to sign. It's like the whole cycle is happening again, overspending and handing out 2 year deals to players the wrong side of 30. Like I said above, I wouldn't take any of the players they've signed but it seems wrong that they are paying better wages to beat off Championship interest 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Just me or glad the Brazilian keeper not signing ? If indeed he was going to? We have one keeper who had some of best stats from last season in this league and best keeper out of league below on our books? Now braga MIGHT have been better but that’s it…a gamble ? Rather spend wotever we have in the kitty on areas we need to strengthen ie back up lest wing back and cb or two

This guy is a very good keeper and would have been a good addition to the goalkeeper department. Taking into account it would have been a free transfer on relatively low wage, we've probably missed out here.

I don't think (not that I know or am any sort of expert) that it would have affected the budget that much. Or maybe it would have and that's why DC said wait.

39 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I've always thought that when a team goes into administration, they stop operating as that team

They should lose their name and history as a reminder

Leeds would have to drop United, Leicester would have to drop City, that sort of thing, it would be a lasting reminder

Absolutely. It shouldn't be 15 points penalty, it should be automatic demotion to non league and start again. 

• Like 2

Huddersfield Town have signed midfielder David Kasumu from League One side MK Dons on a three-year contract, having agreed a compensation fee.

The 22-year-old, who could extend for a further year, played 28 games as the Dons reached the play-offs last term.

• Like 2