SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

No, no, no!

I don't care what the professionals reckon - we should play the same starting XI week in, week, out, and lineup in exactly the same way regardless of the opposition.

It worked for my school team 20 years ago...

🙄

I honestly can’t understand how people can’t see beyond a starting 11 

it’s a long season, there’s 5 subs per game now 

Tuesday Saturday Tuesday 

like we don’t suffer, fatigue, injuries, suspension, or loss of form 

or god forbid the manager sees a weakness in a team pre match or during a match that he might want to tweak things to make us more effective 

It baffles my mind how people can’t get their head around needing a competitive squad 

I think a lot still view subs as Fringe players unused subs as reserve players and might as well have under 18s there then players not in the match day squad as useless and just costing us a wage 

I’m sure it was Rotherham at home last year at half time when I said to my mate if we had a striker on the pitch We would be out of sight now 

and looking at the bench seeing Sow and Kamberi thinking Christ were doomed here 

nothing we could have done could have change that game 

starting with Paterson ( I still rate him for what he brings to the team ) and Mendez-Laing ( never been a striker ) up top. And I would have still preferred them than the alternatives 

squads need to be competitive as good as a starting 11 all way through that’s how you win championships 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I think you’ll be suprised if we signed him how many minutes or what contribution he would make 

hypothetically

sign Curtis for the left 26 year old £500k

wilks for the right 22 years old 400k 

I think that’s pretty solid business that gives us a younger more energetic squad, resale value, plenty of attacking options or way of playing and formations changes 

I keep banging on about the 5 subs being crucial this year being able to shift from a 3-5-2 to a 4-3-3 and both those line ups being of natural quality will be huge in turning a game on its head 

not only do teams have to have the players and the preparation to defend against you they have to have the flexibility in the squad to change as you do to nullify you 

our ambitions are to win this league not get promoted that’s third best after promotion it’s to win the league 

to do that our squad has to be the best and strongest all way through. I think a lot will be surprised in what we will still bring in 

sign the above 

Harley Dean 

young CB on loan 

Lb 

cdm 

and we’ve strength and depth all over to compete for 90 minutes through the season 

£500,000 on a a player that’s not guaranteed to start? Some just want to over bloat the squad with attackers and change system week to week. 

352 was picking up 2.58 PPG at home & 1.4 PPG away from 2022 when we had 3 CB available most weeks. Equates to 90 points over a season. 

Moore spoke in his interview of “doing more of the same” & “just running out of games”. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

No, no, no!

I don't care what the professionals reckon - we should play the same starting XI week in, week, out, and lineup in exactly the same way regardless of the opposition.

It worked for my school team 20 years ago...

🙄

Literally nobody is saying that. Talk about being dramatic :laugh:

• Like 1

The principle is the same as signing Smith. The best and most expensive option on paper to address something we don’t have. Keeping everyone happy was going to be difficult with a new main man coming in on championship wages but we are seemingly willing to invest in a squad so I don’t see why that would be different if other quality players became available and we had the budget to do it. We don’t have many other than Windass who can really run at the opposition and take them on as we saw Sunderland do to us on occasion. I think we need the ability to do that as much as we needed a target man.

I think there were cheaper and more low key options for the target man job and there would be for a winger option too if the cash isn’t available. But we know DC isn’t afraid of spending money on a key target.

3 minutes ago, 0114 said:

£500,000 on a a player that’s not guaranteed to start? Some just want to over bloat the squad with attackers and change system week to week. 

352 was picking up 2.58 PPG at home & 1.4 PPG away from 2022 when we had 3 CB available most weeks. Equates to 90 points over a season. 

Moore spoke in his interview of “doing more of the same” & “just running out of games”. 

I completely disagree with you 

Patterson, smith, windass, Gregory is not strong enough as an attacking unit to compete over a full season with the aim being  champions 

it needs more pace and width 

nobody is guaranteed starter 

look at Patterson nobody gives him any credit and most would have moved on yet 40 plus appearances 

I think you completely undervalue what players contribute to a team and how 5 subs ( bearing in mind I think 2 have to be made at half time ) will change tactics this season 

do you honestly think Moore is going into this season with players to play 352 and stick with that for most of the season? 

I get the average points I also get the fact that every team will now train and prepare that we will play that do our points tally will be lower 

I also take that 5 subs yes I’ve said it again will allow other teams to be more flexible and adaptable to counter how we play. Therefore your one dimensional plan of glueing a system together for next year and not having ( what Moore got slated for ) a plan B will keep us in this division. 

I’ll put money on Moore brings in at least 1 more likely 2 wide players that are not wing backs or full back and he will do that for a reason. 

You call it overbloating a squad 

I calm it having first team quality in a squad game 

keep you Sows and Browns for your mid table teams 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ipswich Town & Portsmouth waiting Leicester’s decision on 15 goal ace George Hirst.
Both Ipswich and Portsmouth are looking to build a squad capable of challenging League One’s top-six next season, having finished 11th and 10th respectively last year in a competitive division.

3 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Patterson, smith, windass, Gregory is not strong enough as an attacking unit to compete over a full season with the aim being  champions 

look at Patterson nobody gives him any credit and most would have moved on yet 40 plus appearances 

I think you completely undervalue what players contribute to a team and how 5 subs ( bearing in mind I think 2 have to be made at half time ) will change tactics this season 

do you honestly think Moore is going into this season with players to play 352 and stick with that for most of the season? 

I get the average points I also get the fact that every team will now train and prepare that we will play that do our points tally will be lower 

I also take that 5 subs yes I’ve said it again will allow other teams to be more flexible and adaptable to counter how we play. Therefore your one dimensional plan of glueing a system together for next year and not having ( what Moore got slated for ) a plan B will keep us in this division. 

I’ll put money on Moore brings in at least 1 more likely 2 wide players that are not wing backs or full back and he will do that for a reason. 

I don’t think we have as much money to spend on fees as some think. Hence why we are haggling over Wilks, who I think will be used as a striker but also operate on the right. We’ve had to be creative in the market and I don’t think you’ll find someone with Wilks goal scoring record at this level and age for as cheap. 

Windass is a 10 and can also operate on the left. Leaving Wilks, Paterson, Smith & Gregory to fight for the striker spots in a 352 with Bannan & Windass fighting for the 10 spot. If we do go 4231 we can play Windass on the left, Bannan the 10, Wilks on the right & Gregory or smith as the 9. It’s not realistic to think Wednesday are going to spend £500K on a squad player. If you’re disappointed with them as an attacking unit then I don’t really know what to say mate, you’ll struggle to get better options than that at this level. 

We’ll see, but it’s been reported enough to suggest we are recruiting for 352. I do think from time to time IN GAME we should change the system but for me 352 proved it works and the statistics and manager have backed that up. 

I’m not for over bloating and making changes from week to week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

I can see your points but I think you are completely wrong. We will play 3-5-2 all season like we did for the majority of this one. The only tweak will be when Windass plays in the ‘Bannan role’ and Barry drops deeper. This will only happen when we are losing or playing a weaker team at home. 

Moore will not change this which is why he isn’t interested in wingers. He see Wilks completely as a striker. 

I totally agree with you about Sow and Brown not being good enough but it’s not feasible for us to replace them as well as everyone else. Both will be back ups and play in the cup competitions this season.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Swfcsi said:

Do you now what the problem is we are not used to doing business early and we have just brought in 5 solid signing " be patient there will be one or two more before we fly out on Saturday..

I hope so. Even as I was writing a post the other day bemoaning the lack of recent action, I thought it was a bit impatient, even by my standards 🤣

Have to keep remembering we have 5 in the building already, trouble is there are still gaps in the squad and we all know how much our manager likes volume (rightly so) making this an important week ahead of the Portugal trip. 

Always the possibility that a couple may join for a trail during the Portugal trip, plenty of out of contract players looking for clubs. 

As we know the club does like to keep things relatively quiet on the transfer front. 

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

I don’t think we have as much money to spend on fees as some think. Hence why we are haggling over Wilks, who I think will be used as a striker but also operate on the right. We’ve had to be creative in the market and I don’t think you’ll find someone with Wilks goal scoring record at this level and age for as cheap. 

Windass is a 10 and can also operate on the left. Leaving Wilks, Paterson, Smith & Gregory to fight for the striker spots in a 352 with Bannan & Windass fighting for the 10 spot. If we do go 4231 we can play Windass on the left, Bannan the 10, Wilks on the right & Gregory or smith as the 9. It’s not realistic to think Wednesday are going to spend £500K on a squad player. If you’re disappointed with them as an attacking unit then I don’t really know what to say mate, you’ll struggle to get better options than that at this level. 

We’ll see, but it’s been reported enough to suggest we are recruiting for 352. I do think from time to time IN GAME we should change the system but for me 352 proved it works and the statistics and manager have backed that up. 

I’m not for over bloating and making changes from week to week. 

One thing we can both say how about how much money we have or willing to Spend is we just don’t know 

this is chansiri we are speaking about abd he backs managers 

now I don’t think we’re going out spending 5 million on a player but it would not surprised me if we spent about a million in this transfer window bringing in 2/3 players 

one of the reasoning for wilks saga is probably to do with the way Hull have handled it 

the media all reported bids of 200k being accepted then Gull seemed to have done a you turn despite the player holding talks and agreeing terms 

it wouldn’t surprise me come the first game of the season he’s our player and we’ve paid double the original quotes fee 

remember chansiri as cagey and as somewhat worrying to hear he said there’s no transfer budget he’ll help where he can 

and I’ll stand again and say I think Moore will bring in 1 maybe 2 attacking wide players that are not full backs or wingbacks 

and yes I don’t think Patterson, gregory, windass and smith is enough as an “attacking unit” I’m not talking about centre forwards I’m saying the attacking threat to our team is strong enough for a 50 odd game campaign that will win the division 

it still lacks pace and width 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Always the possibility that a couple may join for a trail during the Portugal trip, plenty of out of contract players looking for clubs. 

As we know the club does like to keep things relatively quiet on the transfer front. 

Sounds good, wonder how one goes about getting one of these trials?

I could do with a week away in the sun, reasonably confident I would do my hamstring in the warm up for the first training session, but happy to spend the rest of the time in the jacuzzi with a few beers cheering the lads on. 

lol

• Haha 1

Just now, fpowl said:

One thing we can both say how about how much money we have or willing to Spend is we just don’t know 

this is chansiri we are speaking about abd he backs managers 

now I don’t think we’re going out spending 5 million on a player but it would not surprised me if we spent about a million in this transfer window bringing in 2/3 players 

one of the reasoning for wilks saga is probably to do with the way Hull have handled it 

the media all reported bids of 200k being accepted then Gull seemed to have done a you turn despite the player holding talks and agreeing terms 

it wouldn’t surprise me come the first game of the season he’s our player and we’ve paid double the original quotes fee 

remember chansiri as cagey and as somewhat worrying to hear he said there’s no transfer budget he’ll help where he can 

and I’ll stand again and say I think Moore will bring in 1 maybe 2 attacking wide players that are not full backs or wingbacks 

and yes I don’t think Patterson, gregory, windass and smith is enough as an “attacking unit” I’m not talking about centre forwards I’m saying the attacking threat to our team is strong enough for a 50 odd game campaign that will win the division 

it still lacks pace and width 

It doesn’t though because post Christmas it picked up enough points that over the course of a season was enough for automatics.

We was also amongst the highest scores in the division, we scored 4 less than Wigan, 8 more than Rotherham. So god knows how with improvements like Wilks & Smith we don’t have an attack that’s good enough. 

He may bring in a winger and use him at wing back although that wouldn’t be my preference 🤷‍♂️ I still think it’ll be with 352 in mind. 

I just don’t think people suggesting Ronan Curtis who is available for £500,000 when he won’t fit into the squad is bizarre. Also the encouragement of tinkering and changing week to week seems bizarre. 

35 minutes ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

I can see your points but I think you are completely wrong. We will play 3-5-2 all season like we did for the majority of this one. The only tweak will be when Windass plays in the ‘Bannan role’ and Barry drops deeper. This will only happen when we are losing or playing a weaker team at home. 

Moore will not change this which is why he isn’t interested in wingers. He see Wilks completely as a striker. 

I totally agree with you about Sow and Brown not being good enough but it’s not feasible for us to replace them as well as everyone else. Both will be back ups and play in the cup competitions this season.

I’m going to disagree I think you completely underestimate how teams can dramatically change formation next  season due to the new sub ruling 

for example we start a game 3-5-2 were leading at hand time or on top 

the other team goes more defensive because they feel they can get something out of the game but more likely to lose with their starting formation

we then need to peg them back and keep the pressure higher up the pitch would you keep wing backs on or push more more attacking players on the obvious move is as they become less of an attacking threat you push forward hence a change of formation to a front two with two wingers or a central striker with two wider strikers keeping your width 

I don’t think we are going to change formation 

I think we are going to have the options and players to be able to change formation 

we didn’t have those options too much last year 

and before people start talking about mendez-Laing and corbeanu 

They was only at the club a couple of months together and it was during a period that we had no centre backs so we hardly had flexibility in the team to play differently 

it’s also a worry thinking we need to sign another two wingbacks to play 3-5-2 consistently because take out over 30s Johnson and hunt out if it 

your asking Palmer and Brown to do it 

I’ve nothing against Palmer he’s solid consistent and a fit lad but he’s not know for he’s contribution to attacking he’s more of a support player than an attacking one 

we will see but my guess is Moore will sign at least 1 possibly two attacking wide players that are kit full backs or wingbacks 

as for the Moore only sees wilks as a striker you can’t possibly know that that’s your opinion on what you think Moore sees Wilks as and I think your wrong on that I think Moore will cure him as an attacker he can play any where across the front line or behind 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I’m saying the attacking threat to our team is strong enough for a 50 odd game campaign that will win the division 

Based off what? Statistically speaking it goes against your point. 

From the start of 2022 when I think most would agree we really kicked into head. We averaged at home 2.75 goals per game & away we averaged 1.5 goals per game. 

We ended up 4 goals behind the highest scorers in the division. All while playing 352. 

But supposedly I’m one dimensional for wanting to stick with something that clearly works so well 😳 

9 minutes ago, fpowl said:

as for the Moore only sees wilks as a striker you can’t possibly know that that’s your opinion on what you think Moore sees Wilks as and I think your wrong on that I think Moore will cure him as an attacker he can play any where across the front line or behind 

Lad grew up a striker. 

We don’t play with wingers.

Sheffield Star & Examiner have both reported we intend to recruit and play 352 although have the option to be flexible. 

Do you think our first cash signing in 2 years is either going to play as a wing back or a striker? 

Logic. 

Edited by 0114
  • Like 1