SQUAD FOR NEXT SEASON (keep, sell, release)

We definitely need a natural left-sided CB if Moore plays a back 3 next season. I think Lewis Gibson’s contract is up at Everton this summer so if the wages aren’t daft I’d look at that to start with. 
Rocky start but then played well when called upon and knows the club well so an easy fit.

4 hours ago, blueandwhitematt said:

In an ideal world you'd keep this squad together and add in an extra key player here and there, and you are right it would (should have done this year but I'm a broken record) likely go up top 2.

However, we are now faced with circumstances slightly beyond our control.  Championship players who signed up for this season on the proviso we'd go up, will they want another year in L1?  Further reduced income by getting stuck in L1 again, can Chansiri afford to keep funding us at a loss?  Does he want to?  Loan players going back, the more successful ones probably looking at Championship teams next season - who do we replace them with?  Etc.  We can't really know the answers to these at the moment, but either way its going to need strong leadership from the club as a whole to deal with it, and make the case for staying.

I think like it or not, we could be in for another summer of high turnover.  Out of the 15 that were on the pitch at any point in last night's game, you don't have to stretch too far to see a situation where a lot aren't here, whether through our choice or not.

Great post - nail on head!  High turnover quite likely, must take opportunity to reduce age of squad and generate funds where possible.

Just now, Adam71 said:

Panutche Camara Just been transfer listed by Plymouth wanted more money would be a perfect replacement for luongo 

Spot on mate 

Great player … Played well against us in both games this season 

Better than Luongo imo

• Like 1

Primarily, we need some youth.

We need a big, fast target man or two to play alongside Gregory(so I'd keep him, but Berahino, NML, Kamberi, Sow, even Windass if he's replaced can go, Paterson I'm inclined to keep just because he's a nutter and can play in a few positions)

We need some young, fast wide players, preferably ones that score a few(so Johnson and Hunt can go for me, although if I had to keep one it would be Hunt)

We could do with a young, tricky, goal scoring midfielder( not sure who I'd give up, Byers isn't that old and might still improve, Luongo came back from injury like a man possessed, but seemed to tire as the season wore on, Bannan will be buried in the centre circle so wont be leaving, Dele's raw but has potential......but we need something else, someone that can burst forwards and create havoc)

We need defensive height and strength in L1 (so I'd keep Palmer, Hutch, even Iorfa and Dunkley if their fitness is ok, try and resign Gibson and Dean, Brenan out on loan.

We need a keeper that doesn't make me nervous(so I'd look to bring in an experienced keeper, keep Dawson and get rid of Wildsmith)

Reading back it reminds me letter once wrote to Santa.

Problem with this is that those of our players that are contracted with us might find it difficult to move on.

Alan Nixon was reporting that few championship clubs will be able to afford to pay fees for players next season. 

We might find that we're stuck with some until they run out of contract. 

I also don't envisage us spending too much ourselves. I'd expect more loans and players close to the end of their contracts given the current financial situation. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

So the squad for this year was:

BPF (keep if possible), Dawson (keep), Wildsmith (release)

Palmer (keep), Hunt (keep)

Storey (keep if possible), Dean (keep if possible), Iorfa (keep), Hutchinson (keep), Dunkley (release), Brennan (loan), Gibson (don't get back)

Johnson (keep), Brown (sell/release)

Bannan (keep), Byers (keep), Luongo (keep), FDB (keep), Adeniran (keep), Alex Hunt (loan)

Shodipo (don't get back), NML (keep), Windass (keep)

Paterson (keep), Sow (sell/release), Kamberi (don't get back), Gregory (keep), John-Jules (would be tempted to get him back), Berahino (release)

Agree with most of this, I'd keep Berahino though. Started to come good towards the back end of the season and worked well with Gregory. Good option to have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weshallovercome said:

Primarily, we need some youth.

We need a big, fast target man or two to play alongside Gregory(so I'd keep him, but Berahino, NML, Kamberi, Sow, even Windass if he's replaced can go, Paterson I'm inclined to keep just because he's a nutter and can play in a few positions)

We need some young, fast wide players, preferably ones that score a few(so Johnson and Hunt can go for me, although if I had to keep one it would be Hunt)

We could do with a young, tricky, goal scoring midfielder( not sure who I'd give up, Byers isn't that old and might still improve, Luongo came back from injury like a man possessed, but seemed to tire as the season wore on, Bannan will be buried in the centre circle so wont be leaving, Dele's raw but has potential......but we need something else, someone that can burst forwards and create havoc)

We need defensive height and strength in L1 (so I'd keep Palmer, Hutch, even Iorfa and Dunkley if their fitness is ok, try and resign Gibson and Dean, Brenan out on loan.

We need a keeper that doesn't make me nervous(so I'd look to bring in an experienced keeper, keep Dawson and get rid of Wildsmith)

Reading back it reminds me letter once wrote to Santa.

You’d get rid of Marvin Johnson ?    Have to massively disagree with you on that one 

The only players I’m desperate to keep of the senior ones are Byers, Bannan and Gregory. I’d like to sign Dean too if the deal is right. 

Realistically every player should be replaceable and upgradeable if we can but I’m realistic enough to know that won’t happen. Some will stay and I’ll be happy with some staying.

We need to lower the age of the squad and bring some saleable assets into the club.

Luongo, Hutchinson, Windass can all be moved on for me. I think we can get better value.  

And can we please stop with the Cole Stockton chat? He’s 28 and the boy is ******** rank pish. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

The only players I’m desperate to keep of the senior ones are Byers, Bannan and Gregory. I’d like to sign Dean too if the deal is right. 

Realistically every player should be replaceable and upgradeable if we can but I’m realistic enough to know that won’t happen. Some will stay and I’ll be happy with some staying.

We need to lower the age of the squad and bring some saleable assets into the club.

Luongo, Hutchinson, Windass can all be moved on for me. I think we can get better value.  

And can we please stop with the Cole Stockton chat? He’s 28 and the boy is ******** rank pish. 

Completely agree. Adrenin and Dennis will play a big part next year. We need someone like the lad from Plymouth alongside Baz and Byers.

Two big lumps needed at the back. One needs to be left footed. 

I think Berhinho will be here next year, he is a good option as one of four at this level. A physical lad is needed alongside some pace.

We also need someone like Lang.

On 10/05/2022 at 16:56, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

You have to get rid of some of the older players.

Theyre only getting to get worse not better.

Of course we need some experience but some young blood required.

I’d guess Hutch and Luongo will go.

Not noticed then getting worse, arguably Palmer, Bannan, Gregory, Hunt, Hutchinson, Luongo plus a few others have had their best season for a while.

On 10/05/2022 at 16:55, gillyno9 said:

Some strange logic in these threads for some reason. The squad finished 4th despite all the injuries and late goals conceded. We were 5 points off automatic promotion.

Imo this squad in the main needs keeping together, with a few ins and a few outs. I think automatic/champions is a realistic possibility.

you can't rip a team up every 12 months and start again. There has to be a degree of continuity.

fwiw. The ones I would get rid of are all of the loan players, sow, brown.

would happily take dean and storey back in whatever capacity next season 

Pretty much this ^ 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 15:53, Tony Pulis said:

So the squad for this year was:

BPF (keep if possible), Dawson (keep), Wildsmith (release)

Palmer (keep), Hunt (keep)

Storey (keep if possible), Dean (keep if possible), Iorfa (keep), Hutchinson (keep), Dunkley (release), Brennan (loan), Gibson (don't get back)

Johnson (keep), Brown (sell/release)

Bannan (keep), Byers (keep), Luongo (keep), FDB (keep), Adeniran (keep), Alex Hunt (loan)

Shodipo (don't get back), NML (keep), Windass (keep)

Paterson (keep), Sow (sell/release), Kamberi (don't get back), Gregory (keep), John-Jules (would be tempted to get him back), Berahino (release)

Sell Iorfa and Windass, too injury prone for their wages. Release everyone else out of contract. Try and buy Storey.  

We need to leave Dean alone, he’ll be injury prone in my opinion given his age and history here.

Sell Dawson while we can as his value won’t be any higher and buy a new keeper. 

Bring in players under 25 with resale value. What we did with Whelan, Brunt and Maclean if possible lol

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not noticed then getting worse, arguably Palmer, Bannan, Gregory, Hunt, Hutchinson, Luongo plus a few others have had their best season for a while.

Unfortunately I can’t see Wednesday players being the first ever players to defy biology and keep getting better before reaching their peak at 35 years old.

People are missing the point here, look at our form these last 20? Games, we’ve been the best in the league. That’s the first XI we’ll need to aim to keep.

Assuming we won’t make any ££ signings and target free agents again, unless we sell a few perhaps Windass/Irofa.

Dawson

Hutchinson/Irofa/Palmer

New CB

New CB

Johnson

Byers

FDB/Adeniran

Bannan

Hunt/NML

Gregory

Windass/Berahino

We’re almost there, my worry is who we’ll bring in at CB as that’s been a huge issue for us. That run of 8-10 games where we had back 3’s the likes of Johnson/Palmer/Brennan is what cost us promotion. 

Id take Storey back but doubt we can afford him, Dean too but he’ll be a man in demand. Similar story to BPF only not worth the price we’d pay, Dawson is good enough. Luongo can walk, so can Dunkley, Pato, Sow, Brown…then I’d extend the rest providing NML/Hutch/Berahino/Hunt aren’t on silly money, which I doubt as we were last chance saloon for all.

Being optimistic, if we did bring back Dean that leaves us with only 2 other CB’s to look for, I’d probably look at Gibson again as impressed when healthy. Obviously a replacement for Luongo would be good and priority 2, then its just various squad/loan players CB, LWB, RWB, ST, ST….to complete with what we’ve already got! 

We’re much closer than you think! 

• Like 1