Players everybody slated but you thought were alright

Ashley Westwood  -   Ridiculous week in week out mass abuse of a player who was nowhere near as bad as our fans made out. We absolutely destroyed his confidence as a fan base.

Steve Haslam  -  See above. Played in four different positions for us to help out, and received dogs abuse . 

James O'Connor  -  neat and tidy player, liked a tackle, odd goal now and then. I think our expectations were way to high in the seasons he played. 

Atdhe Nuhiu  -  Personal opinion - if you couldn't see that he was a good Championship standard player then you don't know much about football. Slating him for not scoring enough goals is also pretty embarrassing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Adam Reach. Very decent player but was always getting stick.

His was definitely a case of lack of effort rather than ability, don't think I saw him make a tackle in all his time here, particularly in his last season.

I would however defend him in that IMO he always showed up very well when played out wide as a winger, you know, his actual position. Unfortunately Monk insisted on playing him anywhere but the wing, with that came declining performances and an increase in boo boys.

18 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Darren Purse

When we signed him, I thought he was an awful signing, well past his best and he’d be another aging player using Wednesday for a pension boost. I couldn’t fathom why most fans thought “great signing”.

After a few games, most fans changed their mind and said “poor player” etc whereas I thought has was actually a lot better than I expected and suffered because he was forever covering for the disaster that was Michael Morrison. 

I can’t see Morrison being added to the list.

Morgan Fox for me.

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Ashley Westwood  -   Ridiculous week in week out mass abuse of a player who was nowhere near as bad as our fans made out. We absolutely destroyed his confidence as a fan base.

Steve Haslam  -  See above. Played in four different positions for us to help out, and received dogs abuse . 

James O'Connor  -  neat and tidy player, liked a tackle, odd goal now and then. I think our expectations were way to high in the seasons he played. 

Atdhe Nuhiu  -  Personal opinion - if you couldn't see that he was a good Championship standard player then you don't know much about football. Slating him for not scoring enough goals is also pretty embarrassing.

Remember the Palace game at home when we lost 3-1 during 01/02. Westwood and Heald ended having a complete defensive car crash in the mud of the 6 yard box and Morrison scored for their 2nd. They scored a 3rd straight after as Westwood lost the ball when getting massively booed near halfway.

Haslam was a good defender chucked in at the deep end to a struggling team. Similar with a few other (not as good) youngsters like Crane, Shaw...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TimoWerther said:

Remember the Palace game at home when we lost 3-1 during 01/02. Westwood and Heald ended having a complete defensive car crash in the mud of the 6 yard box and Morrison scored for their 2nd. They scored a 3rd straight after as Westwood lost the ball when getting massively booed near halfway.

Haslam was a good defender chucked in at the deep end to a struggling team. Similar with a few other (not as good) youngsters like Crane, Shaw...

Was that Palace game the one where it absolutely tipped it down beforehand, leaving puddles and mud all over the pitch?  I remember turning to my mate and saying “I hope no-one fannies about with back passes today, it’s asking for trouble”, followed almost instantly by Westwood fannying about with a back pass that got stuck in the mud and leading to a goal.

Absolutely dreadful defender in an absolutely dreadful team.  Difficult to work out who dragged who down.

3 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

Was that Palace game the one where it absolutely tipped it down beforehand, leaving puddles and mud all over the pitch?  I remember turning to my mate and saying “I hope no-one fannies about with back passes today, it’s asking for trouble”, followed almost instantly by Westwood fannying about with a back pass that got stuck in the mud and leading to a goal.

Absolutely dreadful defender in an absolutely dreadful team.  Difficult to work out who dragged who down.

That's the one! Though it was Freedman who scored...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TimoWerther said:

That's the one! Though it was Freedman who scored...

My word, that’s even worse than I remember.  The way he casually steps over the ball after he’s eventually made his way back to leave Freedman with a tap in, then falls into the net to ensure he doesn’t accidentally get a block is just quintessential park defending.

On 08/02/2022 at 14:14, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

To be fair, the stick was very rarely about his ability, so much as his effort.

It went beyond at times, though.

Effort? Consistently top of the running stats, never injured, could play a full 90.

Just don’t expect a left winger to crunch into tackles in the middle of the park. Was never his game.

Last season you could maybe use the ‘lack of effort’ card - but you could leverage that at the entire squad. Probably because their employer wasn’t paying them. 

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Effort? Consistently top of the running stats, never injured, could play a full 90.

Just don’t expect a left winger to crunch into tackles in the middle of the park. Was never his game.

Last season you could maybe use the ‘lack of effort’ card - but you could leverage that at the entire squad. Probably because their employer wasn’t paying them. 

Yes, but that's what people criticised him for: his lack of effort.

Very rarely did I see people suggesting he wasn't a decent player.