Hillsborough protected

1 minute ago, cbirks said:

Guys, this isn't 'listed status' that means you can't do anything to it. Reading comments I think some of you have got the wrong end of the stick. 

It's a status that says the site of Hillsborough is of community and social value with a football ground on it. It just means it's status as a ground - not in its existing form, just a football ground - is (more) secure, rather than at risk of being passed around to developers to do what they want with. 

I understand that. Supporters of Chelsea did a similar thing with the pitch. The difference is that bearing in mind where it is Stamford Bridge is worth millions as a piece of land many more times than Hillsborough is.

• Like 3

Hillsborough is a place of beauty compared to soul less bowls in industrial estates. It's adequate for us as there's teams further up the league with smaller stadiums. At our recent peak in early 90s Hillsborough was awesome and since we're nowhere near that team it's the last of our concerns. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

Hillsborough is a place of beauty compared to soul less bowls in industrial estates. It's adequate for us as there's teams further up the league with smaller stadiums. At our recent peak in early 90s Hillsborough was awesome and since we're nowhere near that team it's the last of our concerns. 

It is but the question is. Is it fit for purpose in the modern game in the EFL and or EPL? I'd argue it might be in the EFL but not the EPL.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I know my views wont be shared by everyone but I have been to Derby, Stoke, Middlesborough, Coventry, Huddersfield, Doncaster, Shrewsbury and a few others and what bland soulless experiences they were.

Hillsborough and meeting people for a few drinks is about the only reason I still carry on going.

Just think West Ham and probably Everton will lose something when they move, something they will never get back.

Not going to make big bold statements saying I will never step foot inside a new Wednesday stadium but would probably not go as often.

Although think chances we will move within next 10 years are pretty slim.

I sort of think along the lines of Man City, Arsenal and Spurs in my ground moving utopia, not the ones above.

9 hours ago, Albertowl said:

This

Well at least we might win the race to be the last club to remain in it's outdated, difficult to access, commercialy unviable home, while the rest of the football world evolves and generates income from new better located stadiums with a far more appealing customer experience. 

Terrific 

I’m not a massive fan of Hillsboro anymore but what’s this ‘difficult to access’ chestnut that allways gets wheeled out?? If you live anywhere in the north of the city it takes about 15 mins..away coaches get taken off at jct 36 and are at the ground in 20 mins.,coming from the south it’s on a million bus routes and tram routes..it’s sooooo easy to access...try gettin away from villa park on a coach..after an hour you are about 3 mile from the ground

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, The coach said:

difficult to access’ chestnut that allways gets wheeled out?

Usually from them who want it next to the M1.

The vast majority of our fans can get there within 45mins.

I read somewhere that 60% of fans could walk it within 45mins.

And all the 'best' clubs never move home....just mostly the tinpotters who cash in on city centre land price hikes.

Parking can be a pain...but so are all grounds/concerts etc...MK bowl one of the best concert venues I ve been...but 2 foookin hours to get back to the M1 after.

And it still would be a pain if we moved.

46 minutes ago, The coach said:

I’m not a massive fan of Hillsboro anymore but what’s this ‘difficult to access’ chestnut that allways gets wheeled out?? If you live anywhere in the north of the city it takes about 15 mins..away coaches get taken off at jct 36 and are at the ground in 20 mins.,coming from the south it’s on a million bus routes and tram routes..it’s sooooo easy to access...try gettin away from villa park on a coach..after an hour you are about 3 mile from the ground

I live at the other end in Dore and it still only takes me around 25 minutes and always manage to get parked easily enough so I agree it’s not difficult to access.

I also agree to not being a massive fan of Hillsborough anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luke said:

That's your opinion and thousands will agree with you 

People in the business side of things will see different and that's the way I'm looking at it 

Ain't it costing 5 million a year to maintain at the sh!t standards it's at now

Hillsborough needs a hell of lot of work done it ,a stand bulldozing down, new facilities 

Only way that's going to happen under chansiri is if we get in premier league 

That ain't going to happen 

So in 10,15 years time if he is still here we will be even further behind everyone else ,with a rustbucket costing millions to maintain 

I find it very weird that any self respecting Wednesdayite would refer to Hillsborough as a ‘rust bucket’ on a public forum?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I find it very weird that any self respecting Wednesdayite would refer to Hillsborough as a ‘rust bucket’ on a public forum?

Watched PELE play in that ground,and a whole host of other great memories,laughed,cried,cheered,booed...trudged home on many a Sat past the Park Hotel,& what was the  lanes Cafe....

Its WAY more than a ground,its a thousand memorys to me and for DECADES  was a fundamental part of every WeekEnd

• Like 6
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Luke said:

Your entitled to your opinion 

I suggest you check out the new spurs ground, arsenal ground and even go abroad and check out these 'bowls'

Modern 21st century grounds 

Top of the range facilities that host events other than football 

Making more money to invest in the club and sparks interest in business 

I've not been to the Spurs ground. I hear it is good.

But I've been to the new Arsenal ground a couple of times and I was distinctly underwhelmed. The only chanting was after they scored a goal (in the 89th minute) and was a long way from the pitch. The seats are a bit wider and they had a swipe card system to go through rather than turnstiles, and the murals on the outside of the stadium look nice, but that's all I remember and overall the experience was underwhelming compared to the other sports stadiums I've been to in London like Craven Cottage, Upton Park, Lords, the O2, etc.

If you're in zone 2 of London you might be able to use your ground to host conferences and stuff (never seen a game at Stamford Bridge, but once had to attend a meeting there in one of the corporate boxes). But I doubt that us (or Utd, Barnsley, Rotherham, etc) have people queueing up to hire our facilities out to talk to a bunch of South Africans about investment treaties.

In other news....

Stable door just closed 6 months after the horse bolted..

I doubt this really means anything much apart from it would put off any other potential owner who might want to buy us and build us a lovely new modern stadium...  Oh well I guess we will have to stick with DC...  That was the Trusts aim right?  I mean I doubt it makes any difference, if we can't sell middlewood ground which would be a lot more development potential then Hillsborough we wouldn't have much chance anyway..

I love the old girl but I wonder if it would impact any potential development of the stadium which may not be such a good thing..  Unclear of any advantages or disadvantages, I dont think there was much danger of Hillsborough not being the stadium of Sheff Wed and there could be some negatives to this so could be a bit of an own goal or could be good..  Personally im like meh...

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

But I doubt that  Utd,  have people queueing up to hire our facilities out to talk to a bunch of South Africans about investment treaties.

Probley not that no

But they've had concerts there 

Boxing there 

And they have charity boxing events there annually 

All money that goes back into the club 

What does Hillsborough have that makes money when football isn't on to make money 

A below average family day out on a field across the road that makes a few thousand quid that'll barely cover bannans weekly wages 

21st century stadiums need to offer more than football and take advantage of the money out there 

Imagine a band doing a gig at Hillsborough instead of the arena ,extra cash 

8 hours ago, Luke said:

That's your opinion and thousands will agree with you 

People in the business side of things will see different and that's the way I'm looking at it 

Ain't it costing 5 million a year to maintain at the sh!t standards it's at now

Hillsborough needs a hell of lot of work done it ,a stand bulldozing down, new facilities 

Only way that's going to happen under chansiri is if we get in premier league 

That ain't going to happen 

So in 10,15 years time if he is still here we will be even further behind everyone else ,with a rustbucket costing millions to maintain 

I don't know how much it costs to maintain Hillsborough but is not 5 million a year

Break it down that would be 100k a week , every week.

15 hours ago, Luke said:

Having Hillsborough is like a fully grown man keeping his battered old teddy from childhood that was passed through the family from the 1800s 

The grounds stuck in the 20th century and its embarrassing

People would say it has character,I'd say it's a sh!thole

yes, a new stadium would be terrific, just to move on, start a fresh and wipe out the disaster balax, maybe 1 day.. 

5 hours ago, Luke said:

Probley not that no

Boxing there 

What does Hillsborough have that makes money when football isn't on to make money 

A below average family day out on a field across the road that makes a few thousand quid that'll barely cover bannans weekly wages 

21st century stadiums need to offer more than football and take advantage of the money out there 

Jehovah's Witnesses use to use the stadium for meeting.   They got chucked out for talking ballocks. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Luke said:

Probley not that no

Boxing there 

None matchday income is chicken feed..hiring the odd bix out for meetings or hosting a concert every 5 years is not goin to bring the cash in..hillsbro is a perfect location for most of our fans..it just needs knockin down and rebuilding on a smaller more modern scale

19 hours ago, Albertowl said:

This

Well at least we might win the race to be the last club to remain in it's outdated, difficult to access, commercialy unviable home, while the rest of the football world evolves and generates income from new better located stadiums with a far more appealing customer experience. 

Terrific 

Sod your customer experience go to the cinema if you want that.  All you need is a good view and a few pubs.

• Like 1
  • Love 1