Hillsborough protected

13 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Sod your customer experience go to the cinema if you want that.  All you need is a good view and a few pubs.

That is definitely true for many 

Especially the hardcore 'lads' who just want footy to be like the 80's was

But in reality life has moved on at a rapid pace and people want different/newer things now from their experiences if they spend their time and money on them

Important to keep up with the times 

This doesn't mean moving stadiums btw - just improving what we can offer to a casual supporter or a non SWFC fan wanting to come to the match

• Like 6

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, Luke said:

Probley not that no

But they've had concerts there 

Boxing there 

And they have charity boxing events there annually 

All money that goes back into the club 

What does Hillsborough have that makes money when football isn't on to make money 

A below average family day out on a field across the road that makes a few thousand quid that'll barely cover bannans weekly wages 

21st century stadiums need to offer more than football and take advantage of the money out there 

Imagine a band doing a gig at Hillsborough instead of the arena ,extra cash 

sorry I’m questioning one of your posts again Lukey. I’ve noticed you like to compare most situations to Bannans salary. Why?

I do however agree with you, the commercial use of Hillsborough is woeful. I don’t agree though this is because of the ground, it’s the owners (not just the current one). 

Tramlines proves the area can cope with other major activities. Therefore the stadium could easily have hosted concerts, boxing etc that you lord our porkular neighbours for hosting (not a dig at them, more a begrudging well done).

41 minutes ago, The coach said:

None matchday income is chicken feed..hiring the odd bix out for meetings or hosting a concert every 5 years is not goin to bring the cash in..hillsbro is a perfect location for most of our fans..it just needs knockin down and rebuilding on a smaller more modern scale

Again (not specifically you coach), this attitude of it’s only small revenue so let’s not bother. Why?

We aren’t in a position where we don’t need every penny. Furthermore, why would you not want to maximise every opportunity to be the best we can be?

Events like concerts / boxing give the club exposure. I work in Manchester and numerous people commented on the Brook fight being at Bramhall Lane and did Wednesday not want to do it.

33 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Sod your customer experience go to the cinema if you want that.  All you need is a good view and a few pubs.

I agree with this personally.

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But in reality life has moved on at a rapid pace and people want different/newer things now from their experiences if they spend their time and money on them

This doesn't mean moving stadiums btw - just improving what we can offer to a casual supporter or a non SWFC fan wanting to come to the match

But also this to attract as many people as possible.

28 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Agree with that but let's keep game for the fans to whom it isn't just a passing fad

6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Agree with that but let's keep game for the fans to whom it isn't just a passing fad

isn’t it a better strategy to try and turn those passing fad fans into long term supporters.

me and you may be happy with the football and a decent view but I’ll admit better facilities would be nice. I know I’m being all fancy now, but things like hot running water!

23 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Again (not specifically you coach), this attitude of it’s only small revenue so let’s not bother. Why?

We aren’t in a position where we don’t need every penny. Furthermore, why would you not want to maximise every opportunity to be the best we can be?

Events like concerts / boxing give the club exposure. I work in Manchester and numerous people commented on the Brook fight being at Bramhall Lane and did Wednesday not want to do it.

Did you point out to all those people in Manchester that Brook is a united fan and wanted it at bramall lane and hillsborough was never a option to him 

9 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

isn’t it a better strategy to try and turn those passing fad fans into long term supporters.

me and you may be happy with the football and a decent view but I’ll admit better facilities would be nice. I know I’m being all fancy now, but things like hot running water!

No coz the will want towels with the hot water, then the next thing they will be wanting is success.  Just leave perfection as it is.

Isn’t hillsborough used by the colleges and universities for exams also hired by tramlines for artist changing and VIP areas 

all this talk of events and concerts we could have at hillsborough is ridiculous there are over 60 sports stadiums in this country with over 20000 seats in them every single one of them could be considered for gigs concerts boxing etc etc why do people think they are going to choose hillsborough and especially now the park next door can do it to 
take into account that when booking gigs the artists that are big enough to sell out stadiums usually do 6 max and spread them through out Britain artists that do full tours usually only do arena tours which puts us in direct competition with a purpose built arena not 5 miles away from us and it’s indoor as well as the arena at Leeds 

As for boxing again the ones big enough to fill out stadiums either want it in London or at their home town club so again rules us out as who was the last boxing Wednesday fan who was big enough to sell out hillsborough 

brook didn’t sell out bramall lane and kid Galahad couldn’t sell out the arena so no one is boxing at hillsborough 

it’s an absolute fallacy this same old BS that the owners are missing out on millions of alternative income, they’re not they’re using what they’ve got like the vast majority of the clubs in this country 

do you want them running tours of the ground for the masses of people interested in us 

just out of interest how many have been on the tour of the reebok or pride park or what about the riverside tour in Middlesbrough

yeah thought not

or do you want an office block and hotel on the side of the ground owned by someone else just so you can say we’ve got one 

it’s a football ground that has a bit of extra income from local institutions and needs updating, just like the vast majority of clubs up and down the country 

18 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

Did you point out to all those people in Manchester that Brook is a united fan and wanted it at bramall lane and hillsborough was never a option to him 

Brook wasn’t / isn’t bothered about football and his team capitalised on United being on the up.

To be clear, I’m not criticising the club for not having the brook fight. Simply pointing out that events bring exposure to people outside football.

22 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Brook wasn’t / isn’t bothered about football and his team capitalised on United being on the up.

To be clear, I’m not criticising the club for not having the brook fight. Simply pointing out that events bring exposure to people outside football.

Do You know for a fact brook isn’t a blade 

23 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

As someone who knows the family reasonably well.  I can tell you they’re all massive Blades.

1 hour ago, Bigblueowl said:

I don't really see the point. Doesn't it just mean we've made it a listed building in theory? So now if an owner wants to improve anything he's got to jump through hoops?

As I understand it…

There is no point to it. Except that it provides a bit of PR for the Trust (or whatever they’re called) and makes them feel useful / important. 

We haven’t just made the ground a listed building. (I might be wrong, but isn’t the North stand already listed?)

But there is one hoop for Chansiri to go through if he wants to sell, but not if he wants to improve. This hoop may hinder any future sale within Chansiri’s businesses, including back to the one owning the club, but in practice it will only be a delaying mechanism.

The regulations were initially drafted to protect genuine “assets of community value”: the last pub in the village, old school building now run as a community centre, etc. It is designed to stop the seller, e.g. the brewery, doing a quick deal with a developer, and thereby it allows the community the opportunity to raise funds to buy the building/land and to formulate plans to operate the facility going forwards.

Let’s assume that Chansiri has plans to relocate the club and requires funding from the sale of the ground. A deal has been agreed for, say, £20m. As it now stands, that deal has to be put on hold for six months to allow the Trust (or anyone else in the community) to put in a alternative bid. Will the community / Trust raise £20m in six months? I think not, so the sale to the developer progresses.

Let’s now assume that Owlstalk runs one of its gofundme campaigns and does raise the £20m needed and gifts it to the Trust to buy the ground. What now? The Trust has a community asset to maintain and operate. With football being played at Chansiri’s new ground, how many wedding exhibitions, birthday parties, Uni exams, concerts, boxing matches, would be needed to maintain the asset of community value? 

The Trust (or anyone else) taking on the ground as an asset of community value is a million miles off a few villagers running a pub. It won’t happen. This new designation makes absolutely zero practical difference to the likelihood of Hillsborough being bulldozed.

To me, the ACV thing is symbolic. I'd be sure that DC or any owner if they really wanted could get around whatever rules there are. 

It says though that the council, the Trust and a number of local community organisations value the stadium as a community asset. 

That's enough for me.

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

As someone who knows the family reasonably well.  I can tell you they’re all massive Blades.

I know a few people in boxing and I agree the family all are massive blades however, I was told Kel isn’t that bothered.

His family pushed for it and his advisers saw the commercial benefit. United jumped at the chance because they saw the commercial benefit as well.

Wether or not Kel is a blade or not isn’t the point, it’s the exposure and revenue the venue got it what I was getting at.