Scariest ever away day experience

6 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Probably sheff u away a few year ago when SYP produced one of the most inept policing displays I’ve ever seen.

Can’t remember which season it was, but they kept us back 15 minutes which was the first mistake.

the “guard of honour” that we was given from their mob as we was let out and marched down the middle of the road was special I must admit 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Sunderland away when we lost 3-0 late 1970's. All the coaches had the windows smashed and the Police weren't bothered. As we set off everyone was crouched down as more bricks were thrown then a large knife came through an stuck in the back of a seat. Luck everyone was low down, again police didn't seem bothered. Had to travel back to Sheffield with no windows in the middle of January

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shetland Owl said:

Sunderland away when we lost 3-0 late 1970's. All the coaches had the windows smashed and the Police weren't bothered. As we set off everyone was crouched down as more bricks were thrown then a large knife came through an stuck in the back of a seat. Luck everyone was low down, again police didn't seem bothered. Had to travel back to Sheffield with no windows in the middle of January

Hardly scary though is it.....   🤪

• Haha 1

Been going away regularly since 2003 and can honestly say I've never felt unsafe.

Probably a reflection of the sanitised times I've grown up in.

Seen a few scuffles with smaller teams with a point to prove/ chip on their shoulder but nothing serious.

In fact, in all that time the worst incidents I've seen are from terrible policing, a lad getting his head smashed against the train before being thrown onto a train after Forest away, SYP shoving people around/ rounding groups of fans up to frog march and attracting unnecessary attention at local derbies.

• Like 1

Maine Road, League Cup around '77.

We were in the stand which when we scored a late goal to put us in the lead was invaded by Manc thugs who started laying into anyone and everyone.

In true Wednesday style we conceded 2 very late goals and all calmed down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lifetime Owl said:

Man Utd away in League Cup semi 1994....all the Dambusters stuff that got mistaken for Munich Anniversary and i was on my own walking back to our car keeping a low profile

This... 200%. In fact t'was the only time i've ever been "scared" following Wednesday

• Like 2

Middlesbrough away about 88, we won at Middlesbrough and as we were in Croftys coach we decided to call for a drink on the way back in a place called Knottingley. We all piled into a boozer that unbeknown to us was heavily populated with coked up Leeds fans.

We decided to drink up quick but before we finished it kicked off big time. We got chased all over Knottingley and everybody ended up in different directions, with some even running to the cop shop. My mate ended up in someone's house hiding for cover and another lad had been caught and duly dealt with.

Not the most pleasant of evenings but at least we won that day and I've never been back to Knottingley since.

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I went with a couple of Leeds-supporting mates to watch Leeds vs Wednesday in the home end at Elland Road. And when I say 'home end', I mean I was surrounded by blokes whose necks were thicker than my waist, most of whom had various Leeds tattoos on their arms, necks, and bare torsos. 

We lost 3-0 and I had to cheer them on for fear of getting my head kicked in.

It got worse when we had to get on a train home full of p*ssed-up, grumpy Wednesday fans, though. Especially as my mates were doing a bad job of hiding their Leeds shirts under their jackets.

Shortly after an empty whisky bottle smashed against the seat behind us and showered us in broken glass, things got bad enough for us to leg it off the train at a random station and wait for the next one.

So all in all, my worst Wednesday game comprised: sitting among a bunch of pretty rough-looking Leeds fans whilst trying to blend in; cheering Leeds scoring against Wednesday three times; and nearly getting my head kicked in by a bunch of Wednesday fans.

I've had better days.

i'd have hung my Leeds mates out to dry on the train.... 🤣

i had similar at the Lane back in the 90's...  i was on the John street on my own, had to join in all the banter and cheer for their goal and look pissed off when Hirsty equalised..... 

• Haha 1