Jump to content

Scariest ever away day experience


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, S25OWL said:

Has to be the old den in 91 - concrete blocks thrown at the buses from the railway bridge - what a game 4-4 but when we went 4-3 up the barrage of coins, spitting and abuse at us in the triangle was unbelievable - never been happier for them to get a 4th and draw - otherwise I think it might have been fear of our lives getting out there 😱

 

 

That was one of my first matches. Tiny ten-year-old Punkskaphil was stood next to that union jack banner you can see at the front after our fourth goal.

 

Maybe time has fogged the memory a bit but I remember being far more scared at the league game earlier that same season. I still remember the intimidation when we walked along the back of their main stand on the way to the visitors corner. That was the day I realised being a Wednesday fan wasn't going to be easy: 2-0 up at half time but we lost most of our defence to injuries, including Roly going off on a stretcher. A flurry of late goals turned it around and Millwall ended up winning 4-2. I was gutted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 114mphAndRising said:

The Man United semi-final was absolute carnage. It was almost like the police had decided to just leave them to it after the match as we all came out. The return leg at Hillsborough was extremely lively as well given all the stories that had done the rounds about Old Trafford.

Didn't a lot of them get battered in hilsbrough  Park?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wigan away in the FA Cup in late 70s. There was scrapping all the way through the match inside the ground with Man Utd fans whose game had been called off. After the game walking back to coaches bricks started flying into us, a stampede started and I tripped over. All I could see running towards me was a sea of Doc Martens. Curled up expecting to be kicked but it was more Wednesday fans, a couple of whom fell over me before I scrambled to my feet and bombed off. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Wigan away in the FA Cup in late 70s. There was scrapping all the way through the match inside the ground with Man Utd fans whose game had been called off. After the game walking back to coaches bricks started flying into us, a stampede started and I tripped over. All I could see running towards me was a sea of Doc Martens. Curled up expecting to be kicked but it was more Wednesday fans, a couple of whom fell over me before I scrambled to my feet and bombed off. 


Yeah I copped for a boot up the @rse at that one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, panda800 said:

Derby  88-89  season   no trouble with Derby fans just the coppers on horseback  lashing out  for  no reason

Was that away at the old baseball ground? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HopefulOwl said:

Any away trip to Jokewell is a scary place to be, especially when those 6 fingered inbreds start kickin off.... 

Everyone's got this obsession with folk from Barnsley and the number of fingers we have, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my hand/ fingers 

bruce-almighty_320.jpg

Edited by s73owl
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, s73owl said:

Everyone's got this obsession with folk from Barnsley and the number of fingers we have, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my hand/ fingers 

bruce-almighty_320.jpg

There is mate, youve got one finger too many. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

Middlesbrough away about 88, we won at Middlesbrough and as we were in Croftys coach we decided to call for a drink on the way back in a place called Knottingley. We all piled into a boozer that unbeknown to us was heavily populated with coked up Leeds fans.

We decided to drink up quick but before we finished it kicked off big time. We got chased all over Knottingley and everybody ended up in different directions, with some even running to the cop shop. My mate ended up in someone's house hiding for cover and another lad had been caught and duly dealt with.

Not the most pleasant of evenings but at least we won that day and I've never been back to Knottingley since.

Went with Croftys coach 91/94 some reight laughs on there!! Went to boro when bright scored think it finished 1-1? Went in a social club on way home got bit rowdy when these sliding doors opened two big guys with suits in and cauliflower ears said keep noise down or else….turned out local rugby league town side having a do! After carefully peering into other room it was agreed we’d keep noise down 😆 went to Chelsea away league cup semi was longest walk back to out two cars where we’d parked near shed end without realising and we got spotted just as we got in! Straight through two red lights with lumps of concrete and bricks hitting my mates boot of sierra which he’d had face on for weeks after 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, panda800 said:

  Yes   but the trouble was near the trading estate away from the ground

Robinsons industrial estate just up the road from the ground, I remember the game and trouble after just couldn't remember the year 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Went with Croftys coach 91/94 some reight laughs on there!! Went to boro when bright scored think it finished 1-1? Went in a social club on way home got bit rowdy when these sliding doors opened two big guys with suits in and cauliflower ears said keep noise down or else….turned out local rugby league town side having a do! After carefully peering into other room it was agreed we’d keep noise down 😆 went to Chelsea away league cup semi was longest walk back to out two cars where we’d parked near shed end without realising and we got spotted just as we got in! Straight through two red lights with lumps of concrete and bricks hitting my mates boot of sierra which he’d had face on for weeks after 😆

Croftys coach was at totally  the other end of the spectrum to the Inter City Owls coaches. Absolute carnage every other week. Not forgetting the p*ss bucket that used to overflow on the way back! Happy days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Man Utd LC semi was the worst I've been too but Luton away in 1981 was pretty nasty too. We won 3-0 with an imperious performance by Curran, who was being pushed for an England call up (England were very poor at the time) which John Motson (on MoTD) suggested was a slight on a very good player.

I digress but after the game, our coaches got seriously bricked before we even got back on them.

Was also at the Man City LC game in 1979 but genuinely don't recall any trouble.....the league game in the 1983/84 season (won 2-1 thanks to 2 Varadi goals) was a different matter though. Their fans who were behind the goal piled over the 2 foot high fence separating us to show their displeasure after we equalised.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ian Fleming said:

Croftys coach was at totally  the other end of the spectrum to the Inter City Owls coaches. Absolute carnage every other week. Not forgetting the p*ss bucket that used to overflow on the way back! Happy days. 

Don’t know if you was going in the time scale we was on it 91-94 but my mate asked Brian coach driver wot we do with ******** bucket…throw it out the door was the reply…so brunny did ..wot we ******** in now he said to Brian ? I meant throw ******** out the bucket not the whole thing !!!😆😆 also tied croftys trainers to wndow on top of coach on way back from somewhere when he woke up asked where his brand new Nike air max was ? Told him when he got one down asked wot we’d done with other one ….wild wasn’t impressed when he realised it had come loose somewhere down the A1!! Leicester away where we stopped off at Loughborough before match, went in a boozer called Casablanca. 50 of us next min Leicester came in but had not realised wheeny coach load had also came in so now 100 of us that turned a bit lively 😆😆 great days 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

The Man Utd LC semi was the worst I've been too but Luton away in 1981 was pretty nasty too. We won 3-0 with an imperious performance by Curran, who was being pushed for an England call up (England were very poor at the time) which John Motson (on MoTD) suggested was a slight on a very good player.

I digress but after the game, our coaches got seriously bricked before we even got back on them.

Was also at the Man City LC game in 1979 but genuinely don't recall any trouble.....the league game in the 1983/84 season (won 2-1 thanks to 2 Varadi goals) was a different matter though. Their fans who were behind the goal piled over the 2 foot high fence separating us to show their displeasure after we equalised.

There were also missiles being thrown at our supporters outside the ground if I remember.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cardiff City away in 83 when we were celebrating promotion to old first division was pretty scary, we took thousands down but the locals wanted to fight everyone of us, the walk back to the train station after game was very scary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...