Half way through the season... thoughts?

Still all to play for at the half way point.  

My head tells me that we will fall just short of the playoffs.  That wouldn’t be the end of the world for me if we see improvement in the team.  

On the flip side - Football is a funny old game.  If we were to win the next 4 or 5 games things would be so very different and positive.  BTW I don’t think we have enough goals in the team to win 4 on the bounce. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marro said:

My head tells me that we will fall just short of the playoffs.  That wouldn’t be the end of the world for me if we see improvement in the team.  

On the flip side - Football is a funny old game.  If we were to win the next 4 or 5 games things would be so very different and positive.  BTW I don’t think we have enough goals in the team to win 4 on the bounce. 

Anything other than promotion is total failure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be honest, I think we are where I was hoping. Considering in the summer, many fans were saying we could be flirting with relegation, having outside chance of playoffs is better than expected. Though with summer recruits brought in, could argue we should be at least top 6.

• Like 1

Guest Mad Mik
1 hour ago, A47Owl said:

There are many who would be right BUT they are all employed and by clubs with a better chairman (that doesn't take much) than us. Nobody in their right mind would work for DC with what is widely known about him in the football world. 

DC is the problem in every aspect of the club. 

As sole owner and decision maker there is no one else to change his ideas. 

That's not naming this amazing manager who's available, affordable, and is going to resurrect us,, and what manager would come here who's never lost his job or has any ambition ffs 😂😂😂😂😂

Considering that we have an owner who doesn't know his arse from his elbow, a manager with no previous track record of promotions and players who are either  played out of position /crap / injured / midgets / free tranfers / loans then our current league position is nothing short of miraculous quite frankly.

A big well done to all concerned!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Anything other than promotion is total failure!

I would love us to get promoted.  An inability to achieve that is not necessarily failure IMO.  

Irrespective of people’s views of DM’s ability as a manager, what do people realistically expect coming off the back of a relegation where we have had to assemble a team by signing players on frees and utilising the loan market.

I think as fans we often lose perspective.  Our fan base has for many years always considered our players better than they actually are.

People say now we have a team of Championship players.  How good were they in the Championship in recent times and how often did they play?  I’ve not looked at the stats but suspect that they were not as successful as many on Owlstalk consider.

• Like 1

Guest Mad Mik
56 minutes ago, Marro said:

I would love us to get promoted.  An inability to achieve that is not necessarily failure IMO.  

Irrespective of people’s views of DM’s ability as a manager, what do people realistically expect coming off the back of a relegation where we have had to assemble a team by signing players on frees and utilising the loan market.

I think as fans we often lose perspective.  Our fan base has for many years always considered our players better than they actually are.

People say now we have a team of Championship players.  How good were they in the Championship in recent times and how often did they play?  I’ve not looked at the stats but suspect that they were not as successful as many on Owlstalk consider.

They all was obviously amazing and that's why we're in this mire, championship quality players my arse, half of am aren't even league one standard,,, deluded Wednesday fans 😂

7 hours ago, striker said:

Half way through the season, a good time to take stock and reflect. 

As we stand a mid table team, 5 points off the top 6, 10 points off the top 2. 

While not mathematically unachievable, we couldn't make 6 points up on teams at the bottom of the league, losing most games last season over the whole of last. season, so unlikely to make up sufficient points against teams at the top of a league who are winning most weeks over the remaining games.

I've seen every one of our games, league 1 is not complex and the difference between us and the top 6 is that those teams play to their strengths. By and large that involves closing down, getting the ball forward quickly and utliilising what pace they have.

We still don't look comfortable, offer nowhere near enough up front, don't score enough goals and defensively look confused and always likely to concede.

We have shown we are at our best playing with a high tempo, closing down and attacking. Still, consistently we do not do this, favouring possession between defenders, always looking for a backwards pass than looking forwards. 

We don't play to our strengths, have pacey wingers playing as wing backs, meaning they are often in no man's land, ineffective and despite having an extra man in midfield still leave gaps the size of the grand canyon for the opposition to run through unopposed.

That said, we have shown the capacity to roll over teams at will when we want, such is the poor quality of this league,  but just don't do it with any consistency or confidence. 

Our wins seem to be a sense of relief and surprise to the team, draws our comfort zone and losses brushed off as 'one of those days'. 

Moore by nature is pragmatic, nothing is ever urgent, not even last season as we drifted towards this situation when games were never must win despite our dire predicament. That culture follows through onto the pitch, there doesn't seem any urgency or desire, it's always a case of 'oh, ok we'll work on it for the next game' but soon games will be running out.

We look a.mid table team and suspect that's how we'll finish the season. 

That will only change with a change of manager or approach from the current one. There is literally nothing to lose now this season. It's time to go balls to the wall, attack with a high tempo, high press and try to outscore the opposition.

My opinion, a change of manager gives us the best chance of doing that because I don't think Moore can evolve beyond this boring, pragmatic ideology. That said, don't have anyone in mind or any confidence that the owner is competent enough to appoint the right manager.

I expect we could finish the season now and we'd end up in the same league position. Just happens we have to sit through 23 more games to stand still 

This 100% and why i think games remaining/unbeaten etc etc are irrelevant....YES a huge chunk of the season remains and massive points available....

But the same applies to all our rivals......I think your summary of DM spot on..and feel we could have done so much better,and YES even avoided relegation without the foolishness of trying to play it out,in the midst of a relegation battle.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marro said:

IF    honest answer please,do you expect us to win the next 4,or 5 games? because if not......when this season have we won 4 or 5 games on the trot?...

Is it likley we will see such an improvement in form in the second half of the season?

13 minutes ago, parajack said:

IF    honest answer please,do you expect us to win the next 4,or 5 games? because if not......when this season have we won 4 or 5 games on the trot?...

Is it likley we will see such an improvement in form in the second half of the season?

As I said, I don’t expect us to win 4 on the trot.  It could happen but is unlikely.  I do expect to see an improvement second half of the season.  I do t think that is too much to expect.