Half way through the season... thoughts?

3 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Pretty poor so far, but still in with a chance so plenty to play for.

Can't write a season off when there's so long left to go.

Squash the Shrews, get all injured back in the 2 week break, ATTACK!!! 

I like that last bit. Nothing to lose now. Stop dicking about with the ball in our half and play in the opposition's half. Time for all out attack, scoring goals is how to win games.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

On 31/12/2021 at 10:53, striker said:

We look a.mid table team and suspect that's how we'll finish the season.  

Good post, this just about sums things up.  I don’t think Moore has what it takes and whilst the squad is recent enough ability wise it feels to me that they lack professionalism and character.  I wasn’t expecting the world this season, but it’s such a poor league and we are failing to take advantage, so now this seems like an opportunity missed.  Worryingly, it doesn’t feel as if we are building towards a better future either.

Other than that I’m really looking forward to 2022 - Happy New Year one and all 😀 

It’s been a slog of a season so far

Which is no surprise considering the imbalanced recruitment. It looks like a frustrated group of players brought in under false pretences (especially the wingers)

The frustration seems to be mirrored with confusion as to what our tactics are 

We don’t dominate though system, formation and substitutions, in fact we usually get worse as subs are made

I can’t think of 1 thing that Moore has improved, not 1 department

The season is all to play for,  the league is very poor but I don’t have any long term confidence in Moore to get us into the play offs and stay there 

Meh

• Thanks 2

You don't see this team going on a six to seven game winning streak, do you? 

The recent undefeated run was about as underwhelming as it can get. Too many draws and then ended with a thrashing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It’s not rocket science this league. An organised side with 2 or 3 players of quakity sees you near the top, we saw that a few years back with Marshall and Antonio 

We have the players of quality for this league in, Gregory, Bannan, Corbeanu, Windass, Iorfa, Mendez Laing, and Loungo. Problem lies with the man in charge 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Django said:

It’s not rocket science this league. An organised side with 2 or 3 players of quakity sees you near the top, we saw that a few years back with Marshall and Antonio 

We have the players of quality for this league in, Gregory, Bannan, Corbeanu, Windass, Iorfa, Mendez Laing, and Loungo. Problem lies with the man in charge 

Would be nice, if those quality players would be actually available for selection.  That leaves Gregory Bannan, Corbeanu and Mendez-Laing from your list, which does explain our defensive crisis

• Like 1

When we beat Sunderland there were small signs of improvement.

Again Gillingham whilst a draw we should have won comfortably.

We won a few more, then drew against Wycombe. However the performance there was enough to make me think we were starting to build something.

We went to Portsmouth, had one of out best players sent off yet still hung on for a draw.

Another win and I was confident we were on a roll.

However Covid hit, games postponed.

No idea what the players fitness was like but in the last game it looked like a team that was in fine form against a team that had just started the season.

The confidence that had been built has drained away because I've no idea how long it will take them to get into the swing of things.

We have one more match then another break.

As mentioned above there is the fear Moore will go more defensive after that drubbing.

We play better going more direct, and playing football in the last third. It unsettles any defence, even one that will sit in because it should allow you to move players about by having runners from deep. But we play at a pace other teams find comfortable, most of the time.

The constant changing of the team can be bad for team cohesion. I'm not sure if Moore trying to keep everyone happy but it appears detrimental to the team.

Paterson has had his best games in defence, yet we are still moving him about without defenders available.

Another worry is Moore's ability to react and adapt. Sunderland exploited the wide gaps between our 3 defenders, they should have tucked in a little more. They ran the ball played in the gaps and we didn't alter the midfield or defence to stop the runs.

• Thanks 1

So far so good.

new squad assembled cheaply.  Had to deal with horrendous injuries especially at the back.    Manager style of play is bedding in , we are now creating lots of chances compared to the last few seasons.  Well in contention of top 6.

Strong second half of season coming.  Us and MKD in playoff final and a glorious Wembley win ahead.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, SiJ said:

You don't see this team going on a six to seven game winning streak, do you?

The team as it stands; no.

The team with a fully fit Windass, Luongo, Iorfa, Hutchinson, and Dunkley; maybe.

The issue of course is that we may not have our best 11 on the pitch for a single game this season.

Guest Mad Mik
1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You've changed your tune!

:duntmatter:

Hahahahahaha what a bellend , it's constant on here idiots sitting in every bleeding garden never mind a side of a fence 😂

Guest Andy W
On 31/12/2021 at 10:53, striker said:

Half way through the season, a good time to take stock and reflect. 

As we stand a mid table team, 5 points off the top 6, 10 points off the top 2. 

While not mathematically unachievable, we couldn't make 6 points up on teams at the bottom of the league, losing most games last season over the whole of last. season, so unlikely to make up sufficient points against teams at the top of a league who are winning most weeks over the remaining games.

I've seen every one of our games, league 1 is not complex and the difference between us and the top 6 is that those teams play to their strengths. By and large that involves closing down, getting the ball forward quickly and utliilising what pace they have.

We still don't look comfortable, offer nowhere near enough up front, don't score enough goals and defensively look confused and always likely to concede.

We have shown we are at our best playing with a high tempo, closing down and attacking. Still, consistently we do not do this, favouring possession between defenders, always looking for a backwards pass than looking forwards. 

We don't play to our strengths, have pacey wingers playing as wing backs, meaning they are often in no man's land, ineffective and despite having an extra man in midfield still leave gaps the size of the grand canyon for the opposition to run through unopposed.

That said, we have shown the capacity to roll over teams at will when we want, such is the poor quality of this league,  but just don't do it with any consistency or confidence. 

Our wins seem to be a sense of relief and surprise to the team, draws our comfort zone and losses brushed off as 'one of those days'. 

Moore by nature is pragmatic, nothing is ever urgent, not even last season as we drifted towards this situation when games were never must win despite our dire predicament. That culture follows through onto the pitch, there doesn't seem any urgency or desire, it's always a case of 'oh, ok we'll work on it for the next game' but soon games will be running out.

We look a.mid table team and suspect that's how we'll finish the season. 

That will only change with a change of manager or approach from the current one. There is literally nothing to lose now this season. It's time to go balls to the wall, attack with a high tempo, high press and try to outscore the opposition.

My opinion, a change of manager gives us the best chance of doing that because I don't think Moore can evolve beyond this boring, pragmatic ideology. That said, don't have anyone in mind or any confidence that the owner is competent enough to appoint the right manager.

I expect we could finish the season now and we'd end up in the same league position. Just happens we have to sit through 23 more games to stand still 

Agree..mid league team at best. Fail to get this best squad in league nonesense...yet to see us look convincing. Wins seem a surprise as you say, draws normal, shrug defeats off and work on things in training.

My thoughts are the squad is massively overrated. Moore's recruitment is at best not very good..tactics don't suit the players he brought in, he won't have a rethink.

We are a top 8 side at best...not a chance in hell of top 2.

Might...just might get 6th..if 5 or 6 teams have a very bad run.

Not reyt bothered anymore, lost hope can't get excited..I need putting down

Apart from that

Happy New Year to all...

We aren't good enough for promotion.

Our heads drop in adversity, we don't have that arrogant belief that we can't/won't be beaten.

There's something rotten at the core of the club, we get players who are good elsewhere but they rarely come good for us.

We don't do shithousery when required, I don't like it but sometimes it can make the difference between winning and losing.

We aren't clinical in front of goal and we lack someone to bully opposition defenders.

We try to play out from the back but don't have defenders with the ball playing skills to do so.

I could go on but we all know the problems. The Sunderland game was make or break for autos, we broke,. Playoffs maybe but we need to up our game and have a settled side.

Maybe next season.

• Like 5
  • Love 1