Playoff Final 2005

first time my lad ever saw what Wednesday were with a bit of success, the bloody amount of fans..all the way down, Cardiff City centre, the walk to the ground, and Talbots clincher...16 yrs on..He still talks about it

I remember looking at him with about 8 minutes left and we were 1-2 down...thinkin' "f.ookin' ell its gonna kill him this" His face was a mask...

But when Talbot buried that 4th..Reight day out

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

Had tickets but laid up at home with a broken leg.

Also had tickets for and missed the Bramall Lane Tudgay goal game in hospital having a plate in my arm.

Seems I need to break something for Wednesday to have a good day... apparently 'wind' doesn't work as I've tried on numerous occasions with no luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stand out moment for me was Drew Talbot's late goal, which allowed us to enjoy the last few minutes. Normally Wednesday's don't give us that privilege.

But pouring out onto the streets of Cardiff with no one in a rush to get home, was a a great experience.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Cracking weekend in Cardiff. Think it was O'Neil bar in the centre, great laugh with West Ham fans on the day before. Roy Hattersley was in the same hotel, decent bloke and all Wednesday...obviously didn't talk politics. 

Was strange as hardly saw any Hartlepool before the actual game.

We (me, Dad, Mum and brother) went down a few days before, had a train booked from Barry to Cardiff which got cancelled, loads of Wednesday fans swiftly jumped into taxis, we jumped in the car and parked up on a side street unbelievably close to the ground for free.

Just a sea of blue and white beforehand, beach balls and footballs being booted about in the street, oh and Nobby's Crisps being handed out every 2 yards.

Couldn't quite get over how many fans we had in the stadium, it felt such a big occasion. Atmosphere was more horns than singing but that didn't matter.

I've never cried at football but at 2-1 down with the clock ticking I came bloody close (I was 13 at the time and went to 17 away games that season). The relief when Talbot put in that 4th was unreal.

The DVD was a favourite of my Dads to rewatch for years to come. He was a Wednesdayite from moving here in the 60s but spent his very early years in Hartlepool so always held a soft spot for them. We went down and queued up for tickets at 4am. He passed away in August of this year, giving it a bigger place in my heart all these years on.

As far as Wednesday days go, I'd still have this as my number 1. Just wish I had more pictures from the day, I have some terrible quality disposable camera shots tucked away on my hard drive and dome great shots from an old Motorola flip phone which I still can't work out how to transfer the files of.

• Love 2

On the way there on the train I am 100% convinced I saw a lion sat in a field by the rail line, but by the time my fellow passengers looked up we'd travelled too far and I got accusations of being high on various substances.

Accidentally headbutted the woman sat next to me when we both happened to sit down at the same moment.

I was booked on a specific train back to London, so after the trophy presentation I had to make a dash for it. Nearly ran straight into Chris Waddle who happened to be just outside the station.

Jumped onto the train and found my reserved seat. Sat down grinning. Looked around and realised that the carriage was packed with Hartlepool fans and I was the only Wednesday fan in there. Struggled to stifle my grin. The quietest train journey I've ever been on.

• Like 1

It was overcast early in the morning when we arrived in Cardiff.

We thought we'd have a quick one in the Walkabout?

5 hours later left the Walkabout to what appeared to be a sunny day and the street was full of blue and white.

Great day and met plenty of old friends, workmates I hadn't seen for years.

• Love 1

Given that it was a final and what was on the line, it's the best Wednesday game I've been to. 

4-2 after extra time, having been minutes away from going out. 

A winning goal in the dying seconds to cap it off. 

We don't get too many games like that, so need to enjoy them. 

• Like 1

Cardiff was epic

But even on the occasions when we lost in finals the whole build up and post match pi$$ ups have always been monumental 

Thats the difference with Wednesday fans. Even when we lose we’re on a different level to most other clubs.

• Like 1

Seeing Maclean's name on that subs bench that day after his long lay off was amazing, a proper striker.

I could only get a ticket in the Hartlepool end, and that last 10 minutes or so was hell on earth not being able to celebrate! Amazing after 90 minutes once the pool fans had cleared off, to see how many Wednesday fans were in the same boat around me afterwards celebrating......a perfect day! 

I remember being late into the city and drank far too much pre game. So much of the first half was a blur. I can vividly remember the goals though. 

Going 2-1 down was so Wednesday. Coming back to 4-2 wasn’t!

I think Whelans goal was the moment I realised we had a real quality player there. The kind of player who decides to sort matters themselves 

Spent a few days cycling to this, camping and staying in pubs on the way. Drunkenly decided it was a good idea after the 2nd leg against Brentford. To be fair it was, the trip was amazing and the day incredible - probably my best as a Wednesday fan. Seeing Cardiff taken over by Sheffield Wednesday fans, the atmosphere in the ground - everything about it was brilliant. 

Every now and then being a Wednesday fan is magic. 

One of the best days out as Wednesday fan I've ever had, the stadium the people was something special, being in witherspoon's packed to the rafters jumping up and down the floor was  bouncing up and down it was that bad I thought it was going to collapse and we'd all end up in the cellar, watching the Wednesday fan's playing football against the hartlepool fan's on the grass outside Cardiff Castle, one hartlepool kid kicked the ball his trainer flew off a quick thinking owls fan picked it up and threw it on the top of a double decker bus poor sod was trying to chase down the bus to retrieve his trainer funniest thing I've ever seen 🤣

• Haha 2