Playoff Final 2005

I live in Cardiff. Was amazing seeing every street awash with blue and white stripes. Sat in the top right corner of that first photo, bought tickets on the day. My Dad (no longer with us) was sat a few rows away as we couldn't get tickets together, the stadium was bouncing! Been to a lot of Welsh games and never felt it like that, buzzing! Sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it, what a game. Wish more games were held at that Stadium. 

• Like 1

I was only 13. I can remember getting the coach down, bits and bobs of the match. 

I remember around the 75th min shortly after they went 2-1 up, and the rallying cries of support from fans where I was sat, I didn’t think we were gonna get back into it

was sat in the middle tier right side of the goal where Maclean stuck away the pen, never felt such a combo of nerves and elation when it went in 

Edited by FreshOwl

I remember going into work on the Monday and my Arsenal supporting boss said he didn’t like our tactics in extra time when we were 3-2 up of wasting time and making the game boring. I said “eh?, you know we did what every other team usually do in a cup final but still went forward and scored a 4th goal?”  The man was an idiot.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sambo89 said:

Has anyone got the photo from behind MacLean as he scored the penalty? Was in the Star and mirror if I remember rightly. 

Was talking football to a manager in Peebles Tesco a few years ago, when I told him I was a Wednesdayite he said Steve MacLean was a regular shopper in there.

Asked him to pass on my thanks for scoring THAT penalty.

• Like 1

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful

My biggest and best memory as an owl was going to that game.

I was born in the late 80s so all the glory years up to the mid 90s were competing with power rangers and ninja turtles. 

Everything about the day and subsequent night was just incredible. I was still dosed up on adrenaline and jubilation when I was waltzing round like Richard Gere on carver street.

Seems a lifetime ago but you can’t buy memories.

Heck of a weekend

Flew in on the Friday, drive up to Sheffield, coach back to Cardiff. Got back late cuz coach driver ran out of drving hours, drive back to London on th Monday. Flew back on the Tuesday. Missus still annoyed at me for not taking her

Then spent days going through all the photos and vids on Owlstalk. @DeeJayOne's Perfect Day being a particular favourite

Even met Neil

• Like 2

18 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Heck of a weekend

Flew in on the Friday, drive up to Sheffield, coach back to Cardiff. Got back late cuz coach driver ran out of drving hours, drive back to London on th Monday. Flew back on the Tuesday. Missus still annoyed at me for not taking her

Then spent days going through all the photos and vids on Owlstalk. @DeeJayOne's Perfect Day being a particular favourite

Even met Neil

Totally forgot about Perfect Day!

From memory it was originally audio done by Radio Sheffield and we just set it to footage/photos?

18 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Heck of a weekend

Even met Neil

7 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Totally forgot about Perfect Day!

From memory it was originally audio done by Radio Sheffield and we just set it to footage/photos?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Remember it as if it was yesterday. My happiest moment as an owls fan (equal with the pigs semi final at Wembley, Mel’s penalty promoting us to the old First Division, League Cup win and Wycombe promotion game) But actually probably with hindsight makes me happier.

Took my lad (10 at the time) We were staying with the In- Laws in Hereford (halfway house from Sheffield) and travelled down early morning. Pre match was amazing - never seen so many Wednesday fans in one place - bumped into loads of people down for the day - All going to plan and pretty easy first half. Then the Wednesday way 1-2 down in the blink of an eye. 
TBH didn’t think we would pull it round. 10 minutes left (my lad has tears in his eyes as did a few around us) I was thinking how could we mess this up again. 

Then the penalty - I couldn’t watch - turned my back but heard the roar and knew we would win from there.  Only later saw the replay of the penalty and it’s 3 inches from disaster.

I told my lad we would win now (he hadn’t realised they had a man sent off as well)

Extra time we had it on a plate - Whelan’s goal then Talbot as the absolute icing on the cake (sparing us the usual Wednesday trauma of are we going to blow it?)

I remember the euphoria of being with so many Wednesdayites. And just laughing afterwards. 

Then following day on way back up to Sheffield    I dialled in to Radio 5’s 606 show. Never done it before or since. It was just after the Scousers win in Istanbul and I was provoked by some idiot plastic scouser from London saying they had the best fans in the world because they took 20,000 fans to the European Cup Final. So I got on air and told Mark Pougatch that Liverpool fans banging on about their great support but it was easy to follow success and would they have  taken 40,000 to a league one play off final if they had endured the crap that Wednesday fans had put up with over the last decade!  He said it was a fair point! 

Could do with some of that pure joy again. Reckon we are due…