We Should Have Kept Monk

14 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Surveying the wreckage of this season, and Moore's disastrous stewardship of the team, I think it's hold-your-hand-up time.

I was one who wanted Monk out and Pulis in, and with the benefit of hindsight it was wrong.

Would we have gone down under Monk? Yes, IMO, but then again we went down anyway.

Was Pulis our last hope? Yes, but only had new players been brought in in January.

Without reinforcements no-one was keeping that shower up, so we may as well have stuck with Monk and saved ourselves the money and hassle.

I think that he would have stayed post-relegation, and we'd have been a darn site better off with him in the dugout than Moore.

At least Monk's a manager.

What pedigree has monk show anywhere that showed he could build a team and move a club forward. He let his ego get in the way of playing his best team. He alienated senior players from the first team labelling them bad Apple's when the only bad apple was monk the useless.

took a play-off changing team, put his stamp on it and nearly got us relegated, then let good players leave in the summer replaced them with dross and set the team up to eventually get us relegated. 

the classic of signing no-scoring midfielders and calling them attackers, then wondering why they never scored any goals, Kachunga 4 in 80 appearances before signing, would have been enough for a competent manager to know he was not suddenly going to get 20 goals in a season.

At least no one else, has been as stupid as us, because Monk has not had a managers job since.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Unbeaten in 7. One defeat in 11. Yes, I absolutely do believe this to be a decent run.

I see only three league defeats in 17.

This is the key question, isn't it? What are your expectations? A lot of people seem to think (on paper at least) that we have by far and away the best squad in L1 and should be walking it. Personally I don't think we're nearly that good and that after several seasons of turmoil and decline that immediate promotion was never realistic. My view is that turning us around is probably a 2-3 season job, and that given last seasons disaster we could actually have been in a far worse situation. 

Good response, actually agree with much of what you say, and I certainly don’t rate our squad that highly.  At the start of the season my expectations were mid table, so perhaps I shouldn’t be disappointed.  Having seen a few games now, I do feel League 1 is a relatively poor standard and top 6 should be achievable. That’s probably why I’m focusing on the poor performances and points thrown away rather than your angle of 7 games unbeaten.

I wouldn’t argue than turning the club around could take 2 or 3 seasons, but see little progress so far under Moore.  I’m happy to give him more time, but at some point you surely have to cut your losses and make a change.  I don’t expect to win every game, but would at least like to a few decent performances.

3 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

We are in 8th place, on a decent unbeaten run in the league, with a positive goal difference. I know some people hoped and expected more, but words like "wreckage" and "disastrous" bear no comparison to our actual position.

Would you like to take that statement and apply it to our current situation?

Be careful what you wish for.

Fair points, but this situation is quite different.

Last season we were a weak side by Championship standards, one devoid of bottle, shorn of our forwards - the rest of the team never having been great, even under Carlos - and one composed of players, many of whom were off in May.

That team was always going to be a problem to keep in the division by no matter whom, and without newcomers our fate was sealed IMO.

This season we're a relatively strong side by Third Division standards, one capable of the top six at the very least, and potentially one capable of automatic promotion.

With Moore in charge the former is unlikely, and the latter now seemingly impossible.

I wanted Monk out because I thought he'd take us down.

I wanted Pulis in because I thought he'd keep us up, which I think he would have done with some "committed" additions.

Say what you will about either of them, they are bona fide managers.

I don't think Moore is, which is why the situation is different IMO.

9 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

I wouldn’t argue than turning the club around could take 2 or 3 seasons, but see little progress so far under Moore.  I’m happy to give him more time, but at some point you surely have to cut your losses and make a change. 

And oddly enough, I agree with that. I agree that at some point we're going to have to look coolly and objectively at DM's track record and decide whether he can take us any further, but I just think 17 games - not even halfway - into a new season with a new squad is just too soon to make that call. We're all a bit frustrated, not just with the results but the manner of those results, but cranking up the managerial merry go round hasn't exactly worked to our benefit in recent seasons and I don't see too many obvious replacements, at least none who fill me with any confidence. As long as we're reasonably competitive we might as well give DM more time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

The problem wasn't sacking Monk it was who we appointed next.

Did we need a better manager than Monk, definitely!

Did we get a better manager than Monk, probably not.

Needs a Director of Football to come in and make the next managerial appointment, just wish DC wasn't in charge of appointing a DOF if he wanted one!

It was the deception whereby Pulis's stay was ruined by misunderstandings with the chairman over recruitment not allowed

15 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Surveying the wreckage of this season, and Moore's disastrous stewardship of the team, I think it's hold-your-hand-up time.

I was one who wanted Monk out and Pulis in, and with the benefit of hindsight it was wrong.

Would we have gone down under Monk? Yes, IMO, but then again we went down anyway.

Was Pulis our last hope? Yes, but only had new players been brought in in January.

Without reinforcements no-one was keeping that shower up, so we may as well have stuck with Monk and saved ourselves the money and hassle.

I think that he would have stayed post-relegation, and we'd have been a darn site better off with him in the dugout than Moore.

Are yer avin a laugh 🤣

16 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

You dont think GM could have kept us a Championship Club? all we needed was 3 more points,I think we would have been comfortably safe with not 3 points but maybe 6 or 9 with GM.

There would have been none of the nonsense of playing it out from the back under him,and we could have pushed on.

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

What pedigree has monk show anywhere that showed he could build a team and move a club forward. He let his ego get in the way of playing his best team. He alienated senior players from the first team labelling them bad Apple's when the only bad apple was monk the useless.

took a play-off changing team, put his stamp on it and nearly got us relegated, then let good players leave in the summer replaced them with dross and set the team up to eventually get us relegated. 

the classic of signing no-scoring midfielders and calling them attackers, then wondering why they never scored any goals, Kachunga 4 in 80 appearances before signing, would have been enough for a competent manager to know he was not suddenly going to get 20 goals in a season.

At least no one else, has been as stupid as us, because Monk has not had a managers job since.

Yeah can’t believe he signed kachunga and Patterson when he could have signed Toney, Dack, Ayew and Dykes.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Yeah can’t believe he signed kachunga and Patterson when he could have signed Toney, Dack, Ayew and Dykes.

Indeed or he could have brought players in on loan like corbeanu or other young players looking for football instead of signing crap has beens 

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Indeed or he could have brought players in on loan like corbeanu or other young players looking for football instead of signing crap has beens 

Yes exactly we should have brought in the likes of Adam Armstrong and Freddie woodman.

I’m sure they would have been dying to join a club with a points deduction hanging over them.

Their parent clubs would love to send them out to a crap championship club that already has a huge out of control wage bill and with a recent history of not even paying their own players wages.

What a perfect place to send your young players to progress. 

28 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Should have posted this thread on April 1st...

I guess the thread ultimately poses this question: would you rather have Monk in the dugout now than Moore?

Personally, I would.

When the Pale One was sacked I did a little jig, and the dog joined in.

Just when you think things can't get any worse...

1 hour ago, parajack said:

You dont think GM could have kept us a Championship Club? all we needed was 3 more points,I think we would have been comfortably safe with not 3 points but maybe 6 or 9 with GM.

There would have been none of the nonsense of playing it out from the back under him,and we could have pushed on.

Point taken.

Everyone knows my opinion on Monk so I won’t go there. As for Moore he’s struggled a bit but the job is hard and it’s because of the situation he’s inherited from the work of his recent predecessors and the Chairman. I think he’ll get the season and we’ll see where we are at the end of it but I agree with some posters who think it’ll take 2/3 seasons to turn this club around.

19 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

WTF:

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

Everyone knows my opinion on Monk so I won’t go there. As for Moore he’s struggled a bit but the job is hard and it’s because of the situation he’s inherited from the work of his recent predecessors and the Chairman.

I don't know your opinion on Monk..

I guess not complementary.

Moore has struggled cos it's hard...

Kin ell

Like that doesn't apply to any others

• Like 1