We Should Have Kept Monk

10 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Monk made a decent impact at S6, and that was completely on his own without his guys coming in.

Unfortunately he couldn't address the slide after xmas when Fletch got injured. 

I still say, similar to what westwood mentioned in his commentary the other day. At the start when Monk came in he admitted himself that due to the schedule he didn't have time to work on the training pitch on HIS ideas. They we're effectively still in Steve Bruce mode. It was only around the Christmas break time he had a couple of weeks, after that everything went down hill

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, poite said:

Wait....you wanted Pulis? 

:duntmatter:

Pulisball with the type of players he would recruit would absolutely romp this league.

Strong defence, big fast striker, great set plays.

Funnily enough, what all of the top teams in this division have.

We have scored 2 and conceded 6 from set pieces. Just reversing that would put us at the top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Monk clearly struggled to manage Westwood and Huthcinson and instead of doing that he brushed the problem under the carpet and at the same time ruined our chances of promotion.

All he had to do there is manage the both of them and he would have had the respect of the dressing room. Instead, and this is me guessing, he decides to banish two of our better players. He was trying to show them whose boss but in my opinion he lost the dressing room at this exact moment. The players won't and don't respect managers who banish players and then play players who are far weaker instead of them.

Then there was his decision to play Fletcher in a meaningless cup game - that was the final nail in the coffin.

FF at left wing back and also refusing to play him most of the season.

Our managers are like our players. We never replace our managers with a better one. It's laughable with some of the dreadful managers we have, that we seem to do the impossible and appoint an even worse one.

Moore is that bad that I agree with the original point that I would rather have Monk in charge this season. That says it all.

Jos, Monk, Moore. Three of the most pathetic managerial appointments. When we finally get a manager to turn us around and do the simple things well, no one will pine for any of those charlatans.

I think we’d better keep Moore then. I can’t face the thought of having somebody EVEN worse

50 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

We are in 8th place, on a decent unbeaten run in the league, with a positive goal difference.

Do you really believe this to be decent?  I look at our league games since the start of September and see only 3 wins from 11 games, maybe a couple of decent performances and 10 points lost from winning positions.  If a mid table  finish is what we’re after then that’s fine, but if we have any aspirations of promotion that’s a shocking run in my view.

I do wonder whether Steve Bruce regrets leaving us now.

Obviously he went to manage his boyhood club and you can hardly blame him regardless of how he left, but my god they hated him despite keeping them up with room to spare.

I have a feeling he'd have been a legend here, was a superb fit.

Monk was alright until that Stoke game. Think everyone was seriously haunted by ghosts after that. Can't blame them, anyone there at the time must surely be as haunted as me to this day.

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

Pulisball with the type of players he would recruit would absolutely romp this league.

We have scored 2 and conceded 6 from set pieces. Just reversing that would put us at the top.

Well yeah, but when we got Pulis we were a championship side

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

Completely agree with this

Thats what people fail to understand, with the right players he’s a very effective manager. The side he inherited was a miles off what he required to play his style 

44 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

I do wonder whether Steve Bruce regrets leaving us now.

Obviously he went to manage his boyhood club and you can hardly blame him regardless of how he left, but my god they hated him despite keeping them up with room to spare.

I can give you 8 million reasons he has no regrets about leaving us.

I bet he hasn't given us a seconds worth of thought since he high tailed it up the A1

• Like 1

Yeah hands up, I thought Pulis was an upgrade on Monk, I was badly wrong. Pulis was well past his sell-by date, Monk had more support in the dressing room than we realised.

Don't know if we'd have stayed up with him or not. We'd have probably gotten more points out of the 10 games Pulis took charge of but then we had that weird period under Thommo where we'd go and beat Boro, Bournemouth etc. Then in comes Moore, barely gets his feet under the table before he's sidelined by Covid. It really was a weird (and depressing) season.

4 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Monk is a weak manager 

He goes into clubs picks out the big characters in the dressing room, in our case Westwood and Hutch, and alienates them to the detriment of the team believing this makes him look strong when in reality its just the opposite 

The clues in the name "Manager" You manage big characters and get the best from them or rather a good manager does 

Monk should never get a job again imo

When Monk left and those players returned we got worse. We averaged less points per game than before. That’s not my opinion that is a fact.

With that in mind can you explain to me how leaving those players out was to the “detriment of the team”?

14 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Surveying the wreckage of this season, and Moore's disastrous stewardship of the team, I think it's hold-your-hand-up time.

I was one who wanted Monk out and Pulis in, and with the benefit of hindsight it was wrong.

Would we have gone down under Monk? Yes, IMO, but then again we went down anyway.

Was Pulis our last hope? Yes, but only had new players been brought in in January.

Without reinforcements no-one was keeping that shower up, so we may as well have stuck with Monk and saved ourselves the money and hassle.

I think that he would have stayed post-relegation, and we'd have been a darn site better off with him in the dugout than Moore.

At least Monk's a manager.

No effin way. I absolutely despise him!

1 hour ago, Steve Down South said:

Do you really believe this to be decent?  

Unbeaten in 7. One defeat in 11. Yes, I absolutely do believe this to be a decent run.

1 hour ago, Steve Down South said:

I look at our league games since the start of September and see only 3 wins from 11 games,

I see only three league defeats in 17.

2 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

If a mid table  finish is what we’re after then that’s fine, but if we have any aspirations of promotion that’s a shocking run in my view.

This is the key question, isn't it? What are your expectations? A lot of people seem to think (on paper at least) that we have by far and away the best squad in L1 and should be walking it. Personally I don't think we're nearly that good and that after several seasons of turmoil and decline that immediate promotion was never realistic. My view is that turning us around is probably a 2-3 season job, and that given last seasons disaster we could actually have been in a far worse situation.