In defence of Darren Moore

3 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Thanks for the considered response.

I assume Brennan wasn't fit last night otherwise he'd have been on the subs bench like v Gillingham. I don't think Agbontahoma is up to this level and maybe DM doesn't either.

4-4-2 is very popular amongst owlstalkers but I'll be surprised if any team plays it, even in this league, unless the two wide players tuck in (like Danny Wilson used to do). With two touchline huggers like Theo and Shodipo, the two midfielders in the middle would just get over-run.

Yes we signed some dross. Yes we needed to sign players with more leadership and bottle, and a better left back than Brown but times were tough and maybe we couldn't pick and choose. I was just delighted to be signing anyone as that seemed unlikely at one point.

We have faced a few sides playing 4-4-2 and not overrun them, plus I suggested Luongo for that reason. He’s the busiest midfielder who can cope with 4-4-2 in my opinion. Another way of coping with the system is to get your 2nd striker to play in the hole and drop onto the deep lying midfielder when the opposition have possession. I didn’t watch it but Man U recently went back to a 4-4-2 playing Ronaldo and Cavani up top and it suited them much better than 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 by all accounts. I’ve no issue with Moore not using 4-4-2, but there are occasions  where it might suit, such as last night, in my opinion.

Obviously someone has said Brennan was cup tied which I’d not realised but Agbontahoma could still have been on the bench. He’s faced Harrogate who are on,y 1 division below. It could lead fans to believe he is bloody minded with the way he refuses to pick some players, the way he seems to only play certain systems and ways, the way he gives some players multiple chances and maybe he’s trying to make a point that he can’t even field a full side at Plymouth. 

As I said, I’m not sure I’d get rid just yet but he shows traits that worry me and I’m not convinced we will improve when players are fit. I’m also not sure if he’ll make the right signings for us to push on in January and I am now worried that he’s having disputes with Hutch, possibly Iorfa.

I’m also not sure whether Chansiri would appoint anyone more suitable. 

Darren Moore took the job when it seemed no-one would. He is trying his best. Sunderland was a great performance, Gillingham we could have easily won 3-0, and we battered Plymouth for 6 mins. 

I criticise his decisions every match and we should be doing much better but we have a tonne of injuries and despite that may be turning a corner. I don’t think now is the time to be calling for his head. Also I agree with the OP about the vile things being said about DM. It’s out of order. 

You may quote me now and tell me to give my head a wobble 

lol

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Any manager with anything about him could have kept us up last season.

We only needed one more win.

Moore was a genuine club legend as a player at WBA but they realised he was under-achieving and quickly got shot of him then secured promotion to the Premier League the following season.

I for one cannot bear to listen to the inane drivel that he spouts continuously.

The players must be completely sick of it too.

Spot on unfortunately. 

This new narrative of the injuries causing us to be garbage actually boils the urine. 

I've now emotionally checked out from Moore and the team he puts out, it's all a matter of time. 

The most frustrating thing is I really like a lot of our players. And we have Derby coming down next season, time is of the essence. Where is the Chairman?

Edited by Owls2k

21 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Darren Moore took the job when it seemed no-one would. He is trying his best. Sunderland was a great performance, Gillingham we could have easily won 3-0, and we battered Plymouth for 6 mins. 

I criticise his decisions every match and we should be doing much better but we have a tonne of injuries and despite that may be turning a corner. I don’t think now is the time to be calling for his head. Also I agree with the OP about the vile things being said about DM. It’s out of order. 

lol

Cannot believe you used the metric spelling of ton

I think Moore will succeed here.  

We are a quick central forward away from being a good side at this level . As we get more used to this way of playing we will get better and more confident.

Key is getting that forward player or two though . Our summer business wasn’t great and left us short of what we really needed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We are a quick central forward away from being a good side at this level . As we get more used to this way of playing we will get better and more confident.

Key is getting that forward player or two though . Our summer business wasn’t great and left us short of what we really needed.

Windass and Luongo will be great additions once they return. Shame we have 8 others out injured.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

What way of playing is that then?

29 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

So who did the summer business and left us short of what we needed. 

Nobody  wants to sack Moore to get someone worse... how hard that would be to do though.......  well let's just look at this right. We are not bottom of the league, NO but if you look at the teams and have watched most of the games you see how awful this league IS any decent manager with a decent-ish squad should be up there. We have seen so many teams play shocking and we have at times done our best to play worse or at least fight to turn a win bit o a draw or a loss! 

Now Moore since he came in last season and now with a much changed squad has failed to create passion and fight! They regularly look like they have no idea what to do once they have the ball and defend like they never played together before....

Is this the championship were the premiership fix has made some squad borderline premiership quality NO! It's the worst legaue 1 I've ever know... they are rubbish the lot of them and we are here to WIN promotion not make up the numbers we want out NOW! 

Why, we need to be patient some say... not down here! The longer your down here the more you drown!!!! 

With a manager who knows his way down here or one who just knows how to do the basics right we should be pushing on. If Moore did pick his new squad then he wants sacking just for that. Less number to afford a better striker. No never has beens, a million wingers to keep the bench warm because you got loads bit don't play them! In this league we need to be now smashing teams that are as bad as they all have been so far not pathetically whimpering about most of the game and Moore announcing scraping a draw against sides who are woeful is 'getting a result '

Its over it's failed. The main thing about picking manager's Chansiri needs to learn is you should always be looking and have one ready before you sack one. That and ask someone new who to go for!

You've given many and varied reasons why DM is failing currently and they may be valid reasons. 

The reason I want him to go ASAP is because of what I have witnessed with my own eyes regarding the selection of available players, the positions he starts them in and his in game tactical changes or lack there of. He is poor in all of the above. Very poor. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Brennen wasn't cup tied. He was on the bench for Notts County but didn't come on against Rochdale and was back here before the replay.

He could and should have been in the squad.

Correct, the rules state...

Rule 15 (g)  A substitute who does not play in a match is entitled to play for another Club in the Competition in the same season.

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Correct, the rules state...

Rule 15 (g)  A substitute who does not play in a match is entitled to play for another Club in the Competition in the same season.

Only thing I can think of is if he played in the 4th Qualifying round for Notts County, he didn't play in the replay but could have played in the first game (0-0 V Tamworth). Can't find a team sheet though.

3 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Brennen wasn't cup tied. He was on the bench for Notts County but didn't come on against Rochdale and was back here before the replay.

He could and should have been in the squad.

He played in the previous round against Tamworth though.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, crookesowl said:

lol

Battered plymouth for 6 mins,

Let that sink in...