In defence of Darren Moore

I just had a look at how many games the top 7 Plymouth players have had this season (for comparison with my figures above) and they've missed 8 games BETWEEN THEM. In fact, of their top 12 players on whoscored, only one of them has played less than 10 games (and he played 9). And we wonder why they look more like a 'team'. Would Ryan Lowe still look such a good manager if each of his top 7 players had missed, on average, half the season?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I've read through much of the reaction to the Plymouth game and tbh can't bear to read any more.  Even if DM is doing a poor job he doesn't deserve some of the bile being poured out here.

So many people have made up their minds about DM that it just needed a result and performance like this to give them their excuse to let rip.

But haven't we just gone 10 games unbeaten - only lost once in 13 games? Didn't we have 9 shots on target in our last game? It seemed to me that we had turned a corner AND found a system that suited us (admittedly after loads of tinkering which made us seem rudderless). Then last night happened and almost everyone is agreed that Moore is useless.

Doesn't anyone accept that there might be mitigating circumstances?

'He plays square pegs in round holes - like Paterson at centre-half'

Well, when Iorfa Hutchinson Gibson and Brennan are all out injured, what better option was there?

'Why didn't we sign more defenders in the summer?'

A club usually plans to have cover for every position. At centre-half we had Hutchinson and Iorfa with Dunkley and Gibson as cover and Brennan and Palmer able to fill in. That should be ample. But not when 4 of them are injured and two full-backs (Hunt and Johnson) are injured too.

'We're hopeless up front' Well, our first choice strikers, Windass and Gregory are both injured, our next option Paterson was needed in defence so we were left with Kamberi and Berahino. One of these tries hard but really neither of them are good enough and we didn't really have other options (Though I am now so cheesed off with Berahino that I'd have tried either Sow up front or even Adedoyin - unless he's injured too).

'Why didn't we play a back 4?'

Eh? When we've only got 2 fit defenders, why is it better to play 4 at the back?

'Every club has injuries'

Of course but our current situation is extraordinary. Our 6 highest-rated players on whoscored.com have played only 61 league games between them (out of 102). Hutch, Gregory and Iorfa will be missing the next game too. If you add in Windass who hasn't played at all, we've had, on average, 3-4 of our best 7 players unavailable for each match. I'll be amazed if any other club is suffering to that extent. Even more amazed if they've just gone 10 games unbeaten.

'We'll never get promoted with this clown'

Despite all these injuries (we've been missing Luongo and Byers for ages too) we're only 2 points off the play-offs. I imagine we're now going to struggle for a while until we get some players back so we could well fall away from the chasing pack. If we don't fall away despite these injuries I'll be delighted/amazed. If we do then we'll revert to what I expected of this season - consolidation. Jeez I was fearing much worse.

It's taken Darren Moore several months to work out what to do with this squad but, now he's found a system, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it could work when he has more like a complete squad to work with. Imagine playing like we did against Gillingham but with Gregory and Windass up front. Imagine not having to have Paterson in the back three. Imagine having Luongo back in midfield. 

If those players come back and we're still rubbish then let's call for DM's head. But lets not pour bile on him in these extraordinary circumstances.

Hi Darren 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yet again, this is all DM's fault, as most would and have commented on.

I disagree. Moore cannot legislate for the players playing like horses ar**s, making simple mistakes that cost goals. Last night, BROWN, BANNAN & WILDSMITH were all culpable for the goals. 

No pelters at them, no, just 'clueless' DM threads.

Injuries no doubt are costing us, as we are not able to field a settled team week in week out. As a result, DM has to work with what he has.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I've read through much of the reaction to the Plymouth game and tbh can't bear to read any more.  Even if DM is doing a poor job he doesn't deserve some of the bile being poured out here.

So many people have made up their minds about DM that it just needed a result and performance like this to give them their excuse to let rip.

But haven't we just gone 10 games unbeaten - only lost once in 13 games? Didn't we have 9 shots on target in our last game? It seemed to me that we had turned a corner AND found a system that suited us (admittedly after loads of tinkering which made us seem rudderless). Then last night happened and almost everyone is agreed that Moore is useless.

Well, when Iorfa Hutchinson Gibson and Brennan are all out injured, what better option was there?

A club usually plans to have cover for every position. At centre-half we had Hutchinson and Iorfa with Dunkley and Gibson as cover and Brennan and Palmer able to fill in. That should be ample. But not when 4 of them are injured and two full-backs (Hunt and Johnson) are injured too.

'We're hopeless up front' Well, our first choice strikers, Windass and Gregory are both injured, our next option Paterson was needed in defence so we were left with Kamberi and Berahino. One of these tries hard but really neither of them are good enough and we didn't really have other options (Though I am now so cheesed off with Berahino that I'd have tried either Sow up front or even Adedoyin - unless he's injured too).

Eh? When we've only got 2 fit defenders, why is it better to play 4 at the back?

Of course but our current situation is extraordinary. Our 6 highest-rated players on whoscored.com have played only 61 league games between them (out of 102). Hutch, Gregory and Iorfa will be missing the next game too. If you add in Windass who hasn't played at all, we've had, on average, 3-4 of our best 7 players unavailable for each match. I'll be amazed if any other club is suffering to that extent. Even more amazed if they've just gone 10 games unbeaten.

Despite all these injuries (we've been missing Luongo and Byers for ages too) we're only 2 points off the play-offs. I imagine we're now going to struggle for a while until we get some players back so we could well fall away from the chasing pack. If we don't fall away despite these injuries I'll be delighted/amazed. If we do then we'll revert to what I expected of this season - consolidation. Jeez I was fearing much worse.

It's taken Darren Moore several months to work out what to do with this squad but, now he's found a system, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it could work when he has more like a complete squad to work with. Imagine playing like we did against Gillingham but with Gregory and Windass up front. Imagine not having to have Paterson in the back three. Imagine having Luongo back in midfield. 

If those players come back and we're still rubbish then let's call for DM's head. But lets not pour bile on him in these extraordinary circumstances.

Stopped reading at I've  read through.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Hi Darren 

52 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Whats our identity?, what format do we play|?, whats his best 11 ( if every everybody was ever fit), 

Truth is he doesnt know, playing off the cuff all along. Dont blame injuries for him playing with a right footed left back at the start of the season, or one up front, then changing to two when maybe him or with dressing room influence the players forcing a change in system

or playing inverted wingers against , Gillingham ,moving Corbeanu wings after his man of the match performance against Sunderland..Signing a ******** like Berahino, and wanting another like Mendez-Lang.

His press conferences are an embarrassment , Be honest does he inspire you?, do ypu here him speak and think yes thats a manager who is going to rip the league apart?, 

Evert team has injuries, look at Gillingham they had a joke of a team out against us, but under the guidance of a manager got a result ( you might not like Evans tactics but he is getting a better tune out of Gills, than Doppy Darren is out of out lot.

Sorry doppy Darren time to go!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davetherivelinowl said:

So why play Patterson as a centre half and not play a flat 4 ? It’s tinkering for the sake of it. Dunkley and palmer can play as a 2. 
I don’t get it and he’ thinks he’s being clever. 
I am still hoping he gets us out of this but some of his decisions are a bit left field. 

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 hour ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Well said but this won’t go down well. 

Less than 30% win statistic in his time here is the problem. That’s not just happened in the last few weeks when injury frequency has increased. His record at Wednesday was poor from day 1.

I posted in September that he should be given some more time but not too much. He should be gone before December even if it means temporarily reverting to Thompson and Bullen.They got pushed sideways after two or three bad results but had better records than Moore.

Pity really because he does come over as a genuinely nice bloke. There again how many good managers have ever been thought of as nice guys.

• Like 1