Points dropped & gained from losing positions

Just now, jonesy87shef said:

2021/2022 season

Shrewsbury- 2 points - 37th min

Ipswich- 2 points - 90th min

Wimbledon - 2 points - 67th & 85th min

all down to keeper errors chuck in morecambe, plymouth and oxford as well and its not hard to see where our biggest problem lies ......

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sheld1310 said:

Nail on the head!

This is exactly the point I was making in another thread, and your stat analysis shows this even more!

This isn’t down to the manager, there are deeper lying issues here.

Sacking the manager won’t fix this. 

100% right, so take that a bit further and who are the players who have been there all the way through, ?, Palmer, Bannan, (discount Iorfa missed too much time last season.)

It's always the last ten minutes, desperately hanging on after doing all the hard work.

A lack of steel (ironically), or confidence, or belief? Whatever it is it's become the Wednesday way.

But there's good news, keeping a lead is easier than getting it in the first place so surely it's just a matter of getting the mental side right.

Do we have a sports psychologist at the club does anyone know? If not we need one, if we do we need a new one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheld1310 said:

Nail on the head!

This is exactly the point I was making in another thread, and your stat analysis shows this even more!

I’ve always thought fitness was our issue; we naturally just seem to want to end up sitting deep in the last 10-15minutes of a match 

• Like 1

I think every wednesday fan in the away end yesterday knew as soon as we set up after the penalty, Wimbledon were going to score. Soon as they got the first it was nailed on they’d get the second. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Its gone on longer than 3 years but credit to OP for digging for the stats. You have to look at who has been at the club for that period of time. Playing and backroom staff as well as the football executives. Stems from poor decision making, lack of confidence and not addressing if properly and sometimes sheer Fk wittery. 

There's loads more reasons but for me look at who has been here for that period of time and get them out dont care who they are what level of the club. They breed the weakness. The players from this season have come from all over the place but yet already they look terrified and lost. That's in part to Moores tactic of play for 10 minites and cling on for dear life for the rest of the game, but the facts show it happened before him aswell.

I just hope none of them own any dogs But I suppose chasing after them might get their fitness up because Mr Moore and associates aside from not being very good with the tactics in training clearly dont do fitness conditioning either but that's for another thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have had several managers that have failed to arrest this issue and tried to shoehorn Bannan into their systems of play instead of either getting shut of him or building a system that uses him to the best of his ability. 
if we play a high tempo pressing game where we move the ball quickly with 1 and 2 touches there isn’t many midfielders outside the premiership that would match Bannan. However we sit him in centre midfield with slow ponderous build up play. This enables taller more physical and athletic players with far less ability to sit on him and impress their game on him. The other main factor is Luongo being injured for the majority of this period and no one recognising the need for an adequate replacement. We have a centre midfield that still offers little or no protection to the back 4 the times even yesterday when Wimbledon picked the ball up in pockets of space and allowed to run at the back 4. UTO 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Would be amazing stats if it wasn't for the fact we all more or less knew it anyway.   

Either the team is mentally weak or they are unfit.

The team has changed so much in 2 and a quarter years that I'm not sure it's a mental problem.

I suspect they either under train and are knackered at the end.  Or they overtrain and are knackered from the beginning.

Whatever the reason, it cost us our championship place last season and will almost certainly cost us promotion this season.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Would be amazing stats if it wasn't for the fact we all more or less knew it anyway.   

Either the team is mentally weak or they are unfit.

The team has changed so much in 2 and a quarter years that I'm not sure it's a mental problem.

I suspect they either under train and are knackered at the end.  Or they overtrain and are knackered from the beginning.

Whatever the reason, it cost us our championship place last season and will almost certainly cost us promotion this season.

6 point deduction cost us our championship place.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

We all feel Wednesday keep throwing away leads in recent years. Here’s some numbers for the past 2 & 1/4 seasons to show some evidence. Apologise for the long post. Feel free to skip to summary.

2019/2020 season 

Points lost from winning positions = 28

Number of games points dropped from winning position = 11

Total games won (held a lead) = 15

% of leads given away = 11/26 42%

Behind in games = 26 times

Points gained from losing position = 8 (1 win & 5 draws)

Total losses = 20

2020/2021 season

Points lost from winning positions = 29

Number of games points dropped from winning position = 12

Total games won (held a lead) = 12

% of leads given away = 12/24 50%

Behind in games = 24 times 

Points gained from losing position = 1

Total losses = 23

2019/2020 season 

Points lost from winning positions = 6

Number of games points dropped from winning position = 3

Total games won (held a lead) = 5

% of leads given away = 3/8 37.5%

Behind in games = 3 times 

Points gained from losing position = 0

Total losses = 3

To summarise in our last 104 games:

Points lost from winning positions = 63

Number of games points dropped from winning positions = 26

Total games won = 32 30.7%

% of leads given away = 26/58 45%

Behind in games = 53 times 

Points gained from losing position = 9 (1 win)

Total losses = 46

In 2 an 1/4 seasons we’ve come from behind to win once in 53 games. We come back to draw 8 out of the other 52. We’ve dropped points from winning positions in 45% of games we took the lead. 11 times we have been ahead and lost from 53 games.

I’m not sure there would be another club in the whole football league who are both worse and giving up a lead and coming back into games. Huge changes have to be made to sort our clubs mentality.

Awful stats that sum up DCs disastrous appointments and his calamitous running of the club.

The club is STILL in decline and needs proper leadership, unfortunately i can't see that happening under DCs tenure.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, sheld1310 said:

Nail on the head!

It will stop playing out from the back,GK errors can be sucked up,if you score regularly at the other end....and we still have key players at the Club from that time period dont we? 

• Like 2