Points dropped & gained from losing positions

Another stat for this season is we have only won 1/7 games in the league when the other team scores, the one game we won was against Wigan and that was down to the very lucky OG scored by them at 0-0. So if this trend continues and the other team scores don't expect to win. Even at seeing us winning 0-1 yesterday I didn't expect us to go on and win it. It's all a root problem at Wednesday, changing manager might change things, but I don't think it will ever change under Chansiri. We're cursed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

Another stat for this season is we have only won 1/7 games in the league when the other team scores, the one game we won was against Wigan and that was down to the very lucky OG scored by them at 0-0. So if this trend continues and the other team scores don't expect to win. Even at seeing us winning 0-1 yesterday I didn't expect us to go on and win it. It's all a root problem at Wednesday, changing manager might change things, but I don't think it will ever change under Chansiri. We're cursed.

It''s a mental thing - the longer it goes on the harder it is to change it. Like England and penalties; it affects the players.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

It''s a mental thing - the longer it goes on the harder it is to change it. Like England and penalties; it affects the players.

People are mentioning sports psychologists (I think we already employee them anyway), but I don't think these will help our own situation. It works at other clubs, but like I said our problems seem to be ingrained.

Excellent post so how is this dealt with in the short to eventually long term.

We talk about a club culture, something not right and it has to be dealt with, but none of us are really sure how or where to start. 

Garry Neville love or loath him, often talks about fundamentals being wrong at  this or that club and that this mentality needs to change.

Now yesterday we again talked about the players and their lack of bottle but is it down to them?  How can the new lads who joined in the Summer be tagged with that label? 

Chansiri, openly admits it isn’t his chosen area of expertise and he’s been in Thailand for goodness knows how long. And, yes he failed to pay players resulting in ultimate relegation, but not this season with 14 new players. 

The support, nah, not having that at all. We have amazing support considering everything we’ve put up with.

So we still are no wiser in knowing. Ok, so it has to be a culture thing so as soon as they sign for us they are baptised into it.

Is it a succession of generally poor players in the main. Released by clubs sent out all season on loan in the hope of getting some form back. I do know.

Are our facilities poor.?  Training ground, rotting huge stadium. 

Have we employed a succession of generally poor managers? Carlos aside. He wasn’t poor just stayed too long and should have been sacked after Huddersfield debacle. But, since big Ron have we had a manager who could turn mice into men and gave players the confidence they needed.?

Even Wilder managed to throw a side together and get it playing to greater than the sum of its parts. 

So, is it the managers? Folk have said no it runs deeper but where?

Can anyone tell me the source of the bloody Peckham spring? 😀

In some cases it’s as simple as the bloody tap. 
Sorry for the long post. Just thought’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me points to two things:-

Lack of leadership - Players that organise and cajole others. Players who will throw themselves in front of things, or inspire others to give everything. Bannan is sort of that, that's pretty much all we've got.

Poor management - Game management being a big one. Buying free kicks when the other team is on the front foot, giving away free kicks away from the danger zone. When losing throwing caution to the wind, might as well lose by 3 goals than 1 goal. Substitutes to change the dynamics of a game in our favour, or to at least break the rhythm of the game.

If we improved our management we could probably improve it slightly, but the lack of leadership is concerning, and until it's addressed I don't think we will go up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

100% right, so take that a bit further and who are the players who have been there all the way through, ?, Palmer, Bannan, (discount Iorfa missed too much time last season.)

Palmer, Bannan, Patterson, Dunkley, Iorfa(was here for all Monk’s season) , Hutch and  could even throw Wildsmith in there too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

We have had several managers that have failed to arrest this issue and tried to shoehorn Bannan into their systems of play instead of either getting shut of him or building a system that uses him to the best of his ability. 
if we play a high tempo pressing game where we move the ball quickly with 1 and 2 touches there isn’t many midfielders outside the premiership that would match Bannan. However we sit him in centre midfield with slow ponderous build up play. This enables taller more physical and athletic players with far less ability to sit on him and impress their game on him. The other main factor is Luongo being injured for the majority of this period and no one recognising the need for an adequate replacement. We have a centre midfield that still offers little or no protection to the back 4 the times even yesterday when Wimbledon picked the ball up in pockets of space and allowed to run at the back 4. UTO 

So why can't a "professional" manager see this? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sheld1310 said:

Palmer, Bannan, Patterson, Dunkley, Iorfa(was here for all Monk’s season) , Hutch and  could even throw Wildsmith in there too. 

Going back to previous seasons too: Hunt (under Carlos and Jos, was sold under Jos), Dele-Bashiru (last season), Luongo (last two seasons) and Windass (last 1 and a half seasons.)

4 hours ago, Silkstone Owl said:

I’ve always thought fitness was our issue; we naturally just seem to want to end up sitting deep in the last 10-15minutes of a match 

I've said this many times. Over the last few years we've often looked like a good side until we run out of energy and then look awful. These stats are evidence of it. I can't understand why we've always seemed less fit than the opposition despite the churn in personnel. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Dont invest in bitcoin, just lump on Wednesday to concede in the last 10 minutes.

I’ve got a mate who posts on here who cottoned onto this. He used to have a cheeky bet almost every game that we would concede in last 10 minutes. Made himself a few quid from it over the past few years, although clearly he was still gutted we conceded whenever it happened. 

Very poor but no surprise, as games enter the last 15 mins I think fans of all teams are nervous but as a Wednesday fan its way worse .

be interested to see of all the games we’ve been involved in over the last let’s say 3 years , in the last 10 mins of games how many have we scored vs conceded . I’d take a guess to say 75-80% against and 20-25% for 

Guest LondonOwl313

It’s a fitness thing and a tactical thing.. it’s always from 80 mins onwards time and again which suggests we aren’t as fit as other teams. Players like Palmer look like they’re running through treacle near the end of games 

And it’s tactical because we never go for the jugular. We rarely score more than 2 goals in a game, other clubs do it all the time. We sit back and don’t apply pressure at the other end. It’s like a boxer who’s winning a fight on points after 9 rounds then just standing there with the guard up for the last 3 rounds not offering anything back and hoping to hold on without being knocked out. Best form of defence is attack 

5 hours ago, Tommo1867 said:

Unbelievable stats!

The Stoke away game springs to mind as the beginning of that mentality. 

We were also capitulating in the first half of the season even though we were 3rd at Christmas. We could’ve been top if we didn’t keep chucking points away.

Moore's philosophy of dropping back and giving almost beaten opposition adrenaline shot by letting them get on the ball and come at us will acount for many more lost points. 

We Simply don't have players who are good when they can't get on the ball and are suited to defending inside their 30 yards. 

• Like 2