Hoof it a bit - Who cares ?

Not a fan of hoof ball because the ball has a tendency to come straight back at you if that’s your only tactic. Having said that our main central defenders on Saturday were Iorfa, Dunkley Palmer and. Gibson. None of them were comfortable playing out from the back Iorfa’s pass and Gibson’s awful touch almost cost a goal within minutes. Anybody but Kachunga would likely have scored and put us behind. (We all know what happens when we go behind too).

We have no options from this group other than the unreliable Hutchinson to see a telling pass out from the back. We must therefore be prepared to hoof when necessary but it can’t be the only tactic. Carvalhal had the best solution and it worked best with Lopez as holding midfielder because he had the vision and ability to pass accurately from a position deep in central midfield. The full backs were quite advanced and provided an extra outlet on the flanks.

This  type of tactical innovation seems lost on our current coaches, so unless they can come up with something similar a certain amount of hoof ball is needed if we’re not going to be caught out by the high pressing of opponents 

• Like 2

Sturrock style is what we need to adpot, we had Peacock and Quinn (similar to Paterson and Gregory) and we played fast direct football.

There was still chance to keep the ball with Whelan in midfield and play football but this division is all about creating chances and pressuring your opponent.

All the good teams combine possession based football with fast and attacking football. We have the players...we just need Moore to get with the programme or be shown the door. 

i'll admit aimless long balls up to nobody also annoy me...but not as much as ridiculous 50/50 balls on the edge of our own box....do it when its available...do it quickly and do it accurately,...or simply don't do it.

Anyone notice last 2 home games ...just how high paterson has jumped to flick a ball on?...That could work...and even if it doesn't....you are not on the edge of your own box

• Like 1

I have also noticed in league 1 that referees give fewer fouls for physical contact.  In the premier league and championship they blow for the slightest contact.  I don’t think the referees are as good but they let the game flow and ignore physical challenges.  In many ways it’s better but any team trying to overplay are going to find it difficult against a physical team. You have to get the balance right between passing and moving and being direct and physical.  I think in a higher league the challenge on Gibson in the 1st few minutes against Bolton would have been a foul.  We need to adapt to this league and to date I don’t think we have done.

• Like 1

Highlights are horrendous.

Gibson did make afew mistakes, but I am very worried about our midfield. Hutchinson and Bannan are players who have been with us through alot of failure.

They simply can't have the enthusiasm, drive and athletic ability to give our forwards the opportunity to express themselves, without fear of losing the ball.

If the ball is lost, are Bannan and Hutchinson the players to win the ball back?

I blame the energy in the engine room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Gibson did make afew mistakes, but I am very worried about our midfield. Hutchinson and Bannan are players who have been with us through alot of failure.

They simply can't have the enthusiasm, drive and athletic ability to give our forwards the opportunity to express themselves, without fear of losing the ball.

If the ball is lost, are Bannan and Hutchinson the players to win the ball back?

Hutch and Bannan are the basis of the system. A solid base from which the 4 in front make runs and turn the defence.

Unfortunately our forwards are currently babysitting Gregory, as he can't keep up and gets lonely when everyone runs away from him.

Thus, they tap it about in the hope that they can keep the ball long enough for DM to sub him off and let the runners go.

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Hutch and Bannan are the basis of the system.

It's not very progressive, playing two 32 year olds, week in, week out. To be extremely lucky to scrape past opponents.

Bannan and Hutchinson are regularly coming up against midfielders who are 24/25 year old.

It can not be as good as it gets. It must be better.

• Like 2

I hate the view though nostalgia rose tinted glasses of a glory time of kick and rush.

Megson didn't get it right and watching Otsemoboor aim for the penalty spot from 60 years constantly made my heart sink.

Dave Jones got it right in this league with a mixture of quick passing and get it forward at pace.  Trust your players to play to their best ability and express themselves.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Without a doubt we have more midfield energy when Adeniran plays, that doesn't mean there aren't effective roles for Bannan and Hutchinson. 

Bannan created our only chances of the first half, the cross for the Gregory header tipped over and the pass that Berahino hit into the side netting when he should have passed. He also played Berahino in early in the 2nd half and Berahino was furious with himself for not controlling it when through on goal.

The problem is more with whatever system Moore chooses he is not getting the best out of anyone and is playing people where they are not effective.

The 3-4-3 1st half on Saturday was useless, as was starting Bannan wide right the previous weekend. 

Adeniran started the season well but other than that can you say anyone in an attacking sense is thriving with what Moore is asking them to do? 

Berahino is a complete waste, playing him as a striker or not at all, shoeing him into a wide attacking position and getting him tracking back is negating what he could offer. 

3 hours ago, mcmigo said:

There is space when teams push us up the park but we dont have the pace to run into it.

There is no point playing hoof ball with our team at the moment.   When Windass is back who is quick, defenders will be a bit deeper and it will make sense to go more direct at times

Surely Coreanu, Berahino, Shodipo, Sow have got enough pace to get behind some of the agricultural centre halves in this division.

Mind you, you can make runs in behind all day. Running for nowt if the balls still being tapped about the edge of our 'D' 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

11 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

Surely Coreanu, Berahino, Shodipo, Sow have got enough pace to get behind some of the agricultural centre halves in this division.

Mind you, you can make runs in behind all day. Running for nowt if the balls still being tapped about the edge of our 'D' 

They do.

But Berahino seems to have been told to stay next to Gregory, so hasn't made a run last game. The others can't get a game, as we need central strikers as he can't play alone.

Look at the difference in attack when he went off v Oxford. All of a sudden, space opened up on the flanks as Berahino started making runs. Palmer was flying, we had more chances that half than in the first half and the entire Bolton game put together.

I thought we'd turned a corner and he was going to stick with Berahino lone, but he's doubled down.

• Haha 1