Hoof it a bit - Who cares ?

Watched the highlights vs Bolton. 

Aside from the other stuff we’ve been through already - I say (accurately) knock it up to Gregory and go from there. 

He’s a clever player. Instantly up the pitch and can press forward. Bring other people into play. 

Him and Patterson can both get it down and play it. 

• Like 8

Indeed. In this division there’s nothing wrong with the good old fashion of get it up top and bombard the box with crosses. 

If I recall correctly, our first real chance was a good ball into Gregory or Patterson and their keeper made a good save from a header. Took about 25 mins I think. Just shows you don’t need to bother over playing in midfield to be effective and pressurise the opposition. 

Manager’s in the lower leagues seem to be feeling pressured into playing a more ‘continental’ style of play but it’s absolutely pointless when you don’t have the capability of doing so. 

• Like 4

Can't stand playing it out from the back. Gerrit forward as early as possible to a big strong battering ram of a centre forward. 

I don't want to see defenders trying to bring it forward and passing about between themselves. I want defenders to do their job, win the ball and clear it up field 

• Like 1

Said this Saturday when the Moore Masterplan wasn’t getting us out of our own half. 

If we’re going to knock it across the back 3, 4, 5 etc. to draw teams out then, instead of hammering panicked balls into peoples shins on halfway, put the ball in behind and turn teams. 

It’d play to the strengths of the players we’ve got too, especially the defenders. The goal Saturday showed the havoc we can cause a turned defence and the composure a player like Gregory has in those situations. 

• Like 4

Especially if teams are pressing us high up the pitch.

Has to be space they are leaving, figure out where and pass it there.

When teams realise you are capable of beating a high press then they won't press as high, and that's when you can start to play it about at the back if you want to.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Didn’t do us any harm under Wilco’s management. All the “ purists “ used to moan about it as we disappeared into the night with three points.

I loved it.   You can't score if you're not in their third of the pitch AND, they can't score if they ARE in their third of the pitch.   we're far too predictable.   Jack Hunts cross was perfect, they idin't expect him to hit it first time.  Break quickly, use wingers. Stop over complicating things.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Didn’t do us any harm under Wilco’s management. All the “ purists “ used to moan about it as we disappeared into the night with three points.

Big difference was we were 10 times fitter than we are now and were playing in the first division with a lot better squad who regularly beat Liverpool and Man Utd. Football has evolved and so has the tactics, we don't have the CBs to play out from the back but we don't just need to lump it forward either

• Like 1

Funnily enough our goal came from the one bit of direct play we did all day.

I think people nowadays associate direct football with defensive football, yet to me you can be direct & attack.

There is no right or wrong way to play. But we certainly don’t have the players to play out. 

27 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Funnily enough our goal came from the one bit of direct play we did all day.

I think people nowadays associate direct football with defensive football, yet to me you can be direct & attack.

There is no right or wrong way to play. But we certainly don’t have the players to play out. 

That goal wasn't the only time we played it long. 

There is space when teams push us up the park but we dont have the pace to run into it.

There is no point playing hoof ball with our team at the moment.   When Windass is back who is quick, defenders will be a bit deeper and it will make sense to go more direct at times