Hoof it a bit - Who cares ?

20 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

It's not very progressive, playing two 32 year olds, week in, week out. To be extremely lucky to scrape past opponents.

Bannan and Hutchinson are regularly coming up against midfielders who are 24/25 year old.

It can not be as good as it gets. It must be better.

It just needs one old head to steady things down.

Hutch and Bannan can be a yard slower as they usually see things earlier.

The other can be Adeniran or FDB, anyone with stamina and pace.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

We were 3rd and he signed Antonio just before getting sacked..

That seems fairly  'right'...comparatively speaking.

Yea he made the team competitive fair enough.

But there was still big question marks over the style and people weren't overjoyed by watching it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Punt and run football is thankfully a thing of the past.

Except for our winner on Saturday 

And our first goal at Wigan

And our second goal at Wigan

First goal against Rotherham

Etc 

• Like 4

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

54 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

They do.

But Berahino seems to have been told to stay next to Gregory, so hasn't made a run last game. The others can't get a game, as we need central strikers as he can't play alone.

Look at the difference in attack when he went off v Oxford. All of a sudden, space opened up on the flanks as Berahino started making runs. Palmer was flying, we had more chances that half than in the first half and the entire Bolton game put together.

I thought we'd turned a corner and he was going to stick with Berahino lone, but he's doubled down.

I thought he ran his blood to watter on Saturday. 

Did brilliantly to chase that ball down at Wigan for Patersons goal. No right to win that one really.

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

4 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

I thought he ran his blood to watter on Saturday. 

Did brilliantly to chase that ball down at Wigan for Patersons goal. No right to win that one really.

He does run, I actually like the bloke. But it's usually ineffective. He's always second to the ball. Doesn't run off the ball, just goes from the centre circle to the six yard box and back. Defenders ignore him as he only ever plays it backwards anyway.

As for the Wigan goal, the defender looks round, sees it's him and slows down. If it had been any other ref it would have been a free kick.

• Haha 1

I sometimes wonder if it’s my age that makes me dislike the passing out from the back football. But then my 17 year old watched the last game with me and turned to me several times and said ‘dad- what the fûck are they pi55ing about at? Get the balls into the channels for fûcksake!!’

Don’t get me wrong. Pulis ball ‘hyper defence set up and hoof’ isn’t much fun either, but there must be a happy medium. Getting a direct ball to a runner in the channel who bangs in a first time cross is always hard work to defend. Straight punts to a defender to head away aren’t much use but long, cross field balls are horrible to defend. 

On Saturday that’s where our goal came from. If you watch the highlights there were two or three breaks from Bolton where if they had hit a cross earlier we would have been in a world of trouble. 

I’m sure passing from the back is good under the right circumstances. But not with our squad. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mcmigo said:

There is space when teams push us up the park but we dont have the pace to run into it.

There is no point playing hoof ball with our team at the moment.   When Windass is back who is quick, defenders will be a bit deeper and it will make sense to go more direct at times

Corbineau and Shopido have enough pace to worry defenders , if not it’s bad recruitment by Moore either way he is failing 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I sometimes wonder if it’s my age that makes me dislike the passing out from the back football. But then my 17 year old watched the last game with me and turned to me several times and said ‘dad- what the fûck are they pi55ing about at? Get the balls into the channels for fûcksake!!’

Don’t get me wrong. Pulis ball ‘hyper defence set up and hoof’ isn’t much fun either, but there must be a happy medium. Getting a direct ball to a runner in the channel who bangs in a first time cross is always hard work to defend. Straight punts to a defender to head away aren’t much use but long, cross field balls are horrible to defend. 

On Saturday that’s where our goal came from. If you watch the highlights there were two or three breaks from Bolton where if they had hit a cross earlier we would have been in a world of trouble. 

I’m sure passing from the back is good under the right circumstances. But not with our squad. 

Your son is a potty mouth 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

As for the Wigan goal, the defender looks round, sees it's him and slows down. If it had been any other ref it would have been a free kick.

I'm starting to wonder if you went to skoyal with him and he nicked your dinner money!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Errol Flashman said:

I'm starting to wonder if you went to skoyal with him and he nicked your dinner money!!

I just don't get why every other player is fighting for a spot and getting played out of position, but he gets a free ride when we're struggling to score. Everyone else has been dropped, moved etc. If he'd been scoring, I'd be fine. But he has the entire attack based on him and has done sod all with it. No goals from Rotherham to Bolton. DM could have put his boots on and probably snagged one in that time.

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I just don't get why every other player is fighting for a spot and getting played out of position, but he gets a free ride when we're struggling to score. Everyone else has been dropped, moved etc. If he'd been scoring, I'd be fine. But he has the entire attack based on him and has done sod all with it. No goals from Rotherham to Bolton. DM could have put his boots on and probably snagged one in that time.

Clueless 

11 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I think he's not got moved like the others coz he's an actual striker int he.

I mean, the others. What are they?

Berahino striker? 10? Winger?

Sow? Winger? 

Paterson? No one knows!😂

Gregory is a 6 yard box sniffer and follower-inner.  

He did go a few without bagging.

But that's not unexpected when all our possession is in our half and we sit 18th in the table for goalscoring chances created. 

Jimmy Greaves would struggle for goals in this side.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

I think he's not got moved like the others coz he's an actual striker int he.

I mean, the others. What are they?

Berahino striker? 10? Winger?

Sow? Winger? 

Paterson? No one knows!😂

Gregory is a 6 yard box sniffer and follower-inner.  

He did go a few without bagging.

But that's not unexpected when all our possession is in our half and we sit 18th in the table for goalscoring chances created. 

Jimmy Greaves would struggle for goals in this side.

What is service?

There's been loads of crosses that he's just missed on top of the ones he's actually got to.

There were 2 first half at Oxford.

He's always half a yard behind. 2-3 years ago they'd be goals. Not now.

He's been put through 3 times. Each time 3 defenders in front by the time he got to the box.

Unless it's on a plate, he doesn't get to it. He's no quick enough.

Why not give Kamberi a chance then? He at least moves about and tries to create space.

He's scored 2 tap ins too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Can't stand playing it out from the back. Gerrit forward as early as possible to a big strong battering ram of a centre forward. 

I don't want to see defenders trying to bring it forward and passing about between themselves. I want defenders to do their job, win the ball and clear it up field 

Watched France V Spain last night,  both put themselves under needless pressure time and again by playing out from the back.  Both have world class stars 

3 hours ago, Errol Flashman said:

Eh?  The goal was a 50  yard whack , a headed flick on and a cross!

Free kick on the left to Paterson, flicks it to Hunt who crosses to Gregory…isn’t hoofball or lumping it forward. We played it out from the back to get the free kick.

1 minute ago, toooldforthis said:

Free kick on the left to Paterson, flicks it to Hunt who crosses to Gregory…isn’t hoofball or lumping it forward. We played it out from the back to get the free kick.

Berihino flicked it to Hunt 

easy mistake to make 

lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toooldforthis said:

My mistake. 

I thought I saw the free kick lofted 50 yards down the pitch. 

Must be getting it mixed up with another game.