Hoof it a bit - Who cares ?

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

Yep tells us all you know about football...clueless

It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

We had 3 other players score 2 goals in that time.

My point was that surely someone else could have been the focal point and scored in that time.

17 hours ago, Errol Flashman said:

Except for our winner on Saturday 

And our first goal at Wigan

And our second goal at Wigan

First goal against Rotherham

Etc 

They weren't punt and run though were they?

As evidenced on Saturday, every aimless hoofed ball forward was won by Bolton. Every single one. Lumping it without a purpose DOES NOT work.

6 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They weren't punt and run though were they?

As evidenced on Saturday, every aimless hoofed ball forward was won by Bolton. Every single one. Lumping it without a purpose DOES NOT work.

No, lumping doesn't work.  Often just loses possession doesn't it.

Though of course at least it loses possession near their goal and not ours.

I wouldn't advocate the big boot. (Even though it did work out well for our 3 points clinching free kick)

Generally I'm just bemused why folks who like to see the ball played forward are lampooned as hoof it dinosaurs.

After all. It is possible to pass the ball forward on the floor.

Or at least, it used to be...

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

I wouldn't advocate the big boot. (Even though it did work out well for our 3 points clinching free kick)

Generally I'm just bemused why folks who like to see the ball played forward are lampooned as hoof it dinosaurs.

Great word, 'lampooned'.

Not heard enough these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

Playing it forward with purpose and an idea is fine. For example Liverpool play that way and they are arguably the best team in the world right now. That is nice to watch at times and 9 times out of 10, it ends up in a goal.

Our playing it forward lacks any direction, no idea and 9 times out of 10 generally ends up with the ball at the opposition and not us.

It works every now and then but I would hate us to do it all the time. In the end, Pulis' lump it footy was what got us relegated last season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Playing it forward with purpose and an idea is fine. For example Liverpool play that way and they are arguably the best team in the world right now. That is nice to watch at times and 9 times out of 10, it ends up in a goal.

Our playing it forward lacks any direction, no idea and 9 times out of 10 generally ends up with the ball at the opposition and not us.

It works every now and then but I would hate us to do it all the time. In the end, Pulis' lump it footy was what got us relegated last season.

I agree fully.

I'd love us to play forward thinking fast football.  That's my point. No one would call Liverpool a hoof it side because they "get it forward quick"

I don't think any wednesday fan wanted Pulis-ball.

Though I think Monks 10 passes and then the keeper lumps it had got us on that trajectory anyway. 

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Yeah, because we are so much better trying to be Barcelona playing it around in defence. 

It is. Its much more skilful than kick it long and hope the bounce of the big man is kind to you 👍

England played some of the best football I've seen them ever play this summer and you still get fans begging us to pump it up a big man.