OFFICIAL - GEORGE BYERS SIGNS FOR SWFC

@scram - how do you see him fitting in then?

Is he more of a keeping things ticking over type player? 

Do you think he would sit deeper alongside a Bannan or say a Luongo, with Wing playing as the more attacking midfielder? 

Edited by SiJ

I do see him more as a ticking over player - keep possession and keep the ball moving while looking for openings

It's difficult to say where he'll exactly fit in at Lg 1 level but he can certainly play a more advanced role however he doesn't have a burst of pace and isn't somebody who takes players on

But he does have excellent vision, great technique and an extensive passing range - he's imaginative and precise

He can play in a 2 or 3 so versatile in that regard

I suppose it really depends on the system DM sets up to play as to where he will be best used

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, scram said:

I do see him more as a ticking over player - keep possession and keep the ball moving while looking for openings

It's difficult to say where he'll exactly fit in at Lg 1 level but he can certainly play a more advanced role however he doesn't have a burst of pace and isn't somebody who takes players on

But he does have excellent vision, great technique and an extensive passing range - he's imaginative and precise

He can play in a 2 or 3 so versatile in that regard

I suppose it really depends on the system DM sets up to play as to where he will be best used

If we are playing 3 in CM as we have been in pre-season, I would imagine he will share duties with Bannan.

We have Luongo or Adineran to be the high energy ball fetcher.

Bannan or Byers to keep possession and look for the killer ball.

Then Wing to get forward, take people on and support the front three (a role that Windass has also done well earlier in his career).

That leaves FDB and Hunt to fit in if necessary (or possibly go out on loan).

We are pretty well covered for that system now.

10 hours ago, Vanderowlsterdam said:

I have a friend who lives in Swansea so I about Byers and he said 

"Oh, what's occurring Lllllannwwwasslllldop poppdiping Llandudno Rugby, truth be told" 

Welsh people are weird. 

There’s lovely 

I remember the exact moment we signed Barry Bannan. Very similar circumstances to this Byers signing.

When Bannan signed we had McGugan, Lee, Lopez and Hutchinson already at the club and 95% of us wondered why we had signed a new CM.

Same with Byers.

Let's hope history repeats itself and Byers has a similar impact to Bannan or even a near impact as Bannan and we will be laughing.

Edited by CourteenerOwl
  • Like 3