OFFICIAL - GEORGE BYERS SIGNS FOR SWFC

28 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

I remember the exact moment we signed Barry Bannan. Very similar circumstances to this Byers signing.

When Bannan signed we had McGugan, Lee, Lopez and Hutchinson already at the club and 95% of us wondered why we had signed a new CM.

Same with Byers.

Let's hope history repeats itself and Byers has a similar impact to Bannan or even a near impact as Bannan and we will be laughing.

Yes, the reaction to Bannan's signing was amusing looking back.

Lots of very negative / underwhelmed Owlstalkers.

Personally, I thought he'd largely be used as a backup to Forestieri, so what did I know!?

:duntmatter:

• Like 1

Went to trouble of watching few more of his games and read more opinions on Byers, especially regarding his stint with Portsmouth at this level last season.

After getting to see more of his games I'm starting to change my opinion on him as I feel that in him we might found a player who could help solve two of our biggest problems, playing ball from the back and keeping possession better.

Even more so, we might have found midfield partner for Bannan who played similar role at Swansea next to Matt Grimes. I'm starting to believe that we got cultured and dependable player who doesn't mind playing quick, short and precise passes while letting Bannan do "fancier stuff".

Apparently Portsmouth used him in advanced role that he simply isn't used to due to his lack of pace and dribbling skill.

All in all I'm excited to see him play and even look favorably on Bannan, Byers, Wing trio that looks very cultured and could offer surprisingly good balance mostly due to Byers ability to adapt.

Who wants to see a preview, here is a link to probably his best game for Swansea. If you don't want to watch the game don't miss out on seeing excellent goal he scored for the 1:0 win at around 1:15:36.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, malek said:

Went to trouble of watching few more of his games and read more opinions on Byers, especially regarding his stint with Portsmouth at this level last season.

After getting to see more of his games I'm starting to change my opinion on him as I feel that in him we might found a player who could help solve two of our biggest problems, playing ball from the back and keeping possession better.

Even more so, we might have found midfield partner for Bannan who played similar role at Swansea next to Matt Grimes. I'm starting to believe that we got cultured and dependable player who doesn't mind playing quick, short and precise passes while letting Bannan do "fancier stuff".

Apparently Portsmouth used him in advanced role that he simply isn't used to due to his lack of pace and dribbling skill.

All in all I'm excited to see him play and even look favorably on Bannan, Byers, Wing trio that looks very cultured and could offer surprisingly good balance mostly due to Byers ability to adapt.

Who wants to see a preview, here is a link to probably his best game for Swansea. If you don't want to watch the game don't miss out on seeing excellent goal he scored for the 1:0 win at around 1:15:36.

Good post.  I think we sometimes put too much importance on having a “defensive” midfielder when sometimes you can get away with just having hard working players in the centre of the pitch. 
A midfield 3 of Bannan, Byers and Wing should be able to keep the ball as well as any teams in league 1 whilst also having creativity too. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DeBilde'sTea said:

How on earth have Swansea inserted a sell on clause for a player they released?

Can we have 3 mill when Adam Reach gets sold to spurs please?

They didn't released him, he was under contract. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, malek said:

Good post. 

Good too to see someone openly prepared to reconsider their opinion too.

• Thanks 1

On 03/08/2021 at 18:33, theowlsman said:

Was Swansea's young player of the year a couple of seasons ago, their version of Shaw. Good footballer, a central midfielder, one of those who everything goes through. Keeps receiving the ball, finds his passes, keeps play flowing / ticking over. Not a box to box midfielder, tends to sit in midfield and conduct the orchestra.

You're welcome.

Does sound quite a lot like Bannan and may be a bit similar. But could turn out to be our future Bannan and he should learn a lot from Baz.

Majority of Swans comments are positive about him and disappointed he's leaving which is really good to see for once.

https://twitter.com/SwansOfficial/status/1422603169746542601

On 03/08/2021 at 20:49, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 20.49.06.jpg

It's really promising to just see comments like that after the situation we've been through. And this is from someone coming from a Championship side with high expectations. Players not being put off coming here despite our league one stature is partly down to DM and partly us still being known as a big club despite the mess we've been in which is reassuring to know.

I'm sure he looked at the likes of Wing and Peacock Farrell signing too and thought this is a side that can get promoted so I fancy joining this.