Reach to Baggies?

Guest LondonOwl313
25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Gotta ask the question

How many players that used to play for us the last season or two are going to have to go onto bigger/better things before the penny drops on our fans that the players weren't as bad as they keep telling us they are

Most of our squad last season are 15th in the Championship standard players. 

We got relegated because of a points deduction because the chairman didn't fill in paperwork on time. We had bad managers and didn't recruit properly... Moore being in charge for the whole season, 2-3 key additions which should have been brought in plus Iorfa being fit would have seen us around 15th IMO.

So it doesn't surprise me to see most of our players signing for clubs that are around that kind of level

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Most of our squad last season are 15th in the Championship standard players. 

We got relegated because of a points deduction because the chairman didn't fill in paperwork on time. We had bad managers and didn't recruit properly... Moore being in charge for the whole season, 2-3 key additions which should have been brought in plus Iorfa being fit would have seen us around 15th IMO.

So it doesn't surprise me to see most of our players signing for clubs that are around that kind of level

Bang on mate

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Yep very naive and you only need look at the evidence. Us and derby stopped paying players and plunged down the league .

always make payroll- rule 1 of any business .  

Says a lot about the mentality of the player too though, wouldn't you agree or do you think they were right to chuck dummy out on pitch? 

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Reach undoubtedly has a lot of talent, which when allied the right attitude and desire, make him a real asset at that level. When many of our other 'star' players were out injured, Reach stepped up and helped drag the team clear of relegation under Luhukay.

Unfortunately, we've seen very little of that from him in the past two seasons, for whatever reason. Towards the latter stages of last season in particular, he appeared to be going through the motions.

I suspect a fresh start, freed from general malaise which permeates Sheffield Wednesday, will see him rediscover something like his best form.

Dip in form when his wages weren’t paid on time. What a surprise.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, BlackGold said:

Says a lot about the mentality of the player too though, wouldn't you agree or do you think they were right to chuck dummy out on pitch? 

I'd say if my boss wasn't paying me I'd have every right to react and act the way that I wanted to

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

40 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Dip in form when his wages weren’t paid on time. What a surprise.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that'll be a part of it, no doubt.

The whole club has been sick to the core for a few years now, and we were never going to see the best of our players in that climate.

They'd been thrown together with little to no thought as to tactics, formations, or squad coherence, then were being passed form pillar to post as each successive manager attempted in vain to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear before being sacked for failing to pull off a minor miracle.

Add on to that the fact that players were begging the chairman to let them leave and being told to sit it out in the reserves until the current manager was sacked, or having to track him down in a hotel to try to force through a deal for the betterment of their career, and you have the kind of working environment in which many are going to struggle.

Not being paid imo had a major impact on not this season but the season before when we dropped like a brick from Xmas onwards ? Reach for shunted all over the park by different managers including striker ........😳 yes he neshes tackles and isn’t aggressive but when played in his correct position down the left hand side will score and create enough goals for any team in this division sadly won’t be in this league because of the incompetence of the man/people in charge which resulted in relegation 

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Most of them will have big mortgages or other monthly commitments which they signed up to when they'd signed a contract and thought they could plan on having tens of thousands of pounds coming in every month.

Whilst none of them will have gone broke, I wonder how many have had to ring their banks and tell them they can't make payments this month. Which could affect their credit rating and stuff.

If someone did that to me I'd be pretty annoyed and wouldn't exactly pull my finger out to help their failing business when I know I'd be leaving in 6 months anyway.

To be fair he'd not been pulling up any trees for a couple of seasons, not just six months. I get your point re not being happy, of course I do and would be well unhappy myself in same situation. But we are talking about spitting dummy out on the pitch, not just behind closed doors and that is the bit I think is unprofessional and disrespectful to the club, fans and all involved. Would like to think if I were in same situation I'd have the self respect to kick on best I could, even if the motivation was to leave and get the best move at the end of my contract.

But at end of day everyone is different. 

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, BlackGold said:

To be fair he'd not been pulling up any trees for a couple of seasons, not just six months. I get your point re not being happy, of course I do and would be well unhappy myself in same situation. But we are talking about spitting dummy out on the pitch, not just behind closed doors and that is the bit I think is unprofessional and disrespectful to the club, fans and all involved. Would like to think if I were in same situation I'd have the self respect to kick on best I could, even if the motivation was to leave and get the best move at the end of my contract.

But at end of day everyone is different. 

What you characterise as 'spitting the dummy out' could alternatively be seen as a natural and instinctive reaction to a situation in which players' focus was no longer 100% on their football.

Many people will live to their means, so the fact that footballers are well paid won't necessarily insulate them from issues should their pay packet not appear on time, especially if it becomes a pattern.

Having any sort of distraction can make a world of difference in professional sport, where marginal gains can be crucial.

Some of Reach's performances in the past couple of years p*ssed me off at times, and he looked way off the standards he'd set earlier in his Wednesday career, but I don't think the wider context of the club can be ignored when looking at how things deteriorated for him here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Reach undoubtedly has a lot of talent, which when allied the right attitude and desire, make him a real asset at that level. When many of our other 'star' players were out injured, Reach stepped up and helped drag the team clear of relegation under Luhukay.

Unfortunately, we've seen very little of that from him in the past two seasons, for whatever reason. Towards the latter stages of last season in particular, he appeared to be going through the motions.

I suspect a fresh start, freed from general malaise which permeates Sheffield Wednesday, will see him rediscover something like his best form.

You never know..with bettervplayers round him,as wba certainly have,he will do well..

1 hour ago, Weshallovercome said:

He played okay in the first couple of season, but I've never rated him, I like my wingers to have some speed and strength.

On a free would be a decent signing for someone who likes nesh, slow wingers, but for 5m daylight bloody robbery.

We were certainly done with him 5 mill ffs

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Or maybe he'd play like he used to, bang in screamers, put in killer crosses if his club paid him, had ambition, and could sign players

My heart bleeds for him.

Obviously he should have been paid the correct amount and on time but his performance levels have been poor for 2 full seasons.

Complete neshy 

but was always available and was a 6/7 out of 10 on a regular basis and weighed in with assists and goals.

Another completely miss managed and could have been sold at a profit not a loss .

like a few others 

Your money Mr C but wow 

• Like 2