Reach to Baggies?

His good attributes could of seen him in the premier league, his bad attributes aren’t even championship and his desire to tackle isn’t even Sunday league....all in all a very average championship player, but he does have a great engine..

23 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Reach undoubtedly has a lot of talent, which when allied the right attitude and desire, make him a real asset at that level. When many of our other 'star' players were out injured, Reach stepped up and helped drag the team clear of relegation under Luhukay.

Unfortunately, we've seen very little of that from him in the past two seasons, for whatever reason. Towards the latter stages of last season in particular, he appeared to be going through the motions.

I suspect a fresh start, freed from general malaise which permeates Sheffield Wednesday, will see him rediscover something like his best form.

I think it's a lack of confidence with him. He's too much of a lamb, as you say when almost all the senior sqaud was out and jos was throwing the kids in he stepped up, but as soon as bazza and Co came back and started shouting again he disappeared back into his shell. He needs to be mentally stronger and just play his game. 

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat

Reach must have the best you tube video ever. Scored so may worldy's it must look amazing. Also on you tube promos you tend to miss out the bad bits. But then could you fit them on. How big is the internet?

13 hours ago, 1867Heaven said:

His good attributes could of seen him in the premier league, his bad attributes aren’t even championship and his desire to tackle isn’t even Sunday league....all in all a very average championship player, but he does have a great engine..

He’s a left winger. Name me another left winger who flies into challenges and gets stuck in. Did Chris Waddle? Now I’m by no means comparing the two in terms of ability, but Reach is a wide player who needs the ball at his feet so he can get crosses in the box.

We played him in central midfield and expected him to crunch into tackles. It’s not his game. 

West Brom sign him, tell him to stay on the left with his job being to get crosses into the box - he will flourish. People also underestimate his work rate. Went on one of those dinners with Lee Bullen a couple of years back and Reach consistently covered the most ground per game than any other player in a Wednesday shirt. 

26 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He’s a left winger. Name me another left winger who flies into challenges and gets stuck in. Did Chris Waddle? Now I’m by no means comparing the two in terms of ability, but Reach is a wide player who needs the ball at his feet so he can get crosses in the box.

We played him in central midfield and expected him to crunch into tackles. It’s not his game. 

West Brom sign him, tell him to stay on the left with his job being to get crosses into the box - he will flourish. People also underestimate his work rate. Went on one of those dinners with Lee Bullen a couple of years back and Reach consistently covered the most ground per game than any other player in a Wednesday shirt. 

We signed him as a left back, granted he could play anywhere down the left but he was signed as a left back....also, there is a massive difference between not liking a tackle and literally jumping out of the way of them...

12 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

We signed him as a left back, granted he could play anywhere down the left but he was signed as a left back....also, there is a massive difference between not liking a tackle and literally jumping out of the way of them...

Absolutely no way we signed him as a left back. We had Pudil and Emanuelson competing as left backs, and Reach was signed to play as a wide man.

He filled in at left back a few times that season to cover injuries but was never his position. 

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Absolutely no way we signed him as a left back. We had Pudil and Emanuelson competing as left backs, and Reach was signed to play as a wide man.

He filled in at left back a few times that season to cover injuries but was never his position. 

Emanuelson wasn’t competing for anything....and he came on for Pudil for his debut....

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Which I found odd at the time, as BB played left side midfield and FF forward left often in 2015/16, which IMO gave us better balance. When Reach came in BB went into the centre of midfield, which i feel was a mistake as we need an enforcer after the play-off final not BB. FF ended up in and out of the team after his Norwich show off and Reach ended up pretty much ever present thereafter.

7 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

Emanuelson wasn’t competing for anything....and he came on for Pudil for his debut....

Adam Reach played more games at left midfield, centre mid, right midfield, supporting striker than he did left back for Wednesday. 

He covered that position in his first season. But he’d never played left back in his career before. Let’s not talk silly now, he wasn’t signed as our new star left back. 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/09/09/sheffield-wednesday-boss-admits-hed-been-watching-adam-reach-for/

To quote Carvalhal:

“We had a chance to bring him now and we are very happy. In this period we don’t really have a LEFT WINGER to play wide and with a left foot. He is a really, very, very talented player.”

6 minutes ago, Animis said:

Which I found odd at the time, as BB played left side midfield and FF forward left often in 2015/16, which IMO gave us better balance. When Reach came in BB went into the centre of midfield, which i feel was a mistake as we need an enforcer after the play-off final not BB. FF ended up in and out of the team after his Norwich show off and Reach ended up pretty much ever present thereafter.

It was all a cluster fizz looking back at that season to be honest mate. Terrible transfer recruitment and it just seemed like DC, Paixao and Carlos were kids who had free reign of a sweet shop.

No thought, logic or design behind our signings. Just splash the cash and hope for the best. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It was all a cluster fizz looking back at that season to be honest mate. Terrible transfer recruitment and it just seemed like DC, Paixao and Carlos were kids who had free reign of a sweet shop.

No thought, logic or design behind our signings. Just splash the cash and hope for the best. 

You're right - I didn't mind the Fletcher signing, as CC didn't seem to rate Joao so the CF position seemed an essential focus after the play-off final. Hooper was always the 2nd striker playing off the main CF.

IMO FF should have been a starter, but he messed that up at Norwich. CC had said that Hutch would move into the back 4/5 as he couldn't last 90mins or the season in midfield. He back-tracked on that when the David Jones and Abdi signing crashed and burned.

Emanuelson struck me as a money laundering signing.

Looking back, Reach was probably to best signing of the lot that Summer/Autumn but he was expected to cover several positions rather than a settled wide left forward in a settled team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We didn't realise it at the time, but getting to Wembley was perhaps the worst thing that could've happened to us.

The near miss went to Chansiri's head and he went from: "Budgets must be achieved, we must work within the constraints of Financial Fair Play..." to splurging on a raft of ill-fitting players with little to no sense of how they might complement each other.

Which leads us to where we are today. But don't be fooled - it was all the fans' fault, of course...

“What do the fans want me to do, they want me to push but then they say, ‘Oh you can’t break FFP’. It is impossible. It’s just £13m [the FFP-permitted loss per year in the Championship], it’s impossible.

“It is not easy because of FFP, if we keep [with]in FFP the fans are going to say ‘no ambition’.”

🙄

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We didn't realise it at the time, but getting to Wembley was perhaps the worst thing that could've happened to us.

The near miss went to Chansiri's head and he went from: "Budgets must be achieved, we must work within the constraints of Financial Fair Play..." to splurging on a raft of ill-fitting players with little to no sense of how they might complement each other.

Which leads us to where we are today. But don't be fooled - it was all the fans' fault, of course...

“What do the fans want me to do, they want me to push but then they say, ‘Oh you can’t break FFP’. It is impossible. It’s just £13m [the FFP-permitted loss per year in the Championship], it’s impossible.

“It is not easy because of FFP, if we keep [with]in FFP the fans are going to say ‘no ambition’.”

🙄

Yeah he thought it was easy. First season in football and he managed to get the club to a play off final. No doubt had agents in his ear saying just spend and keep spending and you’ll get promoted. No doubt said agents probably made a lot of money from the club in the process. 

All our current woes can be traced back to 2016/17 season. We are still suffering from it 5 years on. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Adam Reach played more games at left midfield, centre mid, right midfield, supporting striker than he did left back for Wednesday. 

He covered that position in his first season. But he’d never played left back in his career before. Let’s not talk silly now, he wasn’t signed as our new star left back. 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/09/09/sheffield-wednesday-boss-admits-hed-been-watching-adam-reach-for/

To quote Carvalhal:

“We had a chance to bring him now and we are very happy. In this period we don’t really have a LEFT WINGER to play wide and with a left foot. He is a really, very, very talented player.”

Abdi, Bannan, Foresteri all played left wing....he played more games elsewhere I agree, but all his early games were at left back and he was signed as a left back...

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yeah he thought it was easy. First season in football and he managed to get the club to a play off final. No doubt had agents in his ear saying just spend and keep spending and you’ll get promoted. No doubt said agents probably made a lot of money from the club in the process. 

All our current woes can be traced back to 2016/17 season. We are still suffering from it 5 years on. 

No doubt.

The really frustrating thing is that he could've slammed the brakes on his madcap scheme after we lost to Huddersfield - we still had players who would raise a decent fee and could have been replaced with younger up-and-comers on smaller wages. We might not have challenged for promotion again straightaway, but it wouldn't have been the certain death warrant that careering headfirst into the FFP rules was clearly going to be.

Who knows - a few of these younger players might even have developed into the kind of player Premier League clubs look for, and then we'd certainly have stood a good chance of balancing the books.

But we didn't do that, did we? We chose to keep pretty much every player until the end of their contract, ensuring we recouped bugger all.

4 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

Abdi, Bannan, Foresteri all played left wing....he played more games elsewhere I agree, but all his early games were at left back and he was signed as a left back...

The club site described him as a winger. I've genuinely never come across the idea that Reach was signed as a left-back before. What are you basing it on?

514280611_Screenshot2021-07-26at12_44_49.thumb.png.ed37e1e11b61ff009018bbc1509d649e.png

4 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

I have just categorically proven that he wasn’t signed as a left back and you still think he was.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/video-sheffield-wednesday-no-extra-motivation-necessary-former-preston-loan-star-adam-reach-451490

He moved to left back that season but was not signed to play there. To quote Carlos again:

“When Adam has played left wing, he has done very well. When Adam played as a striker, he played very well against Cardiff so we are very happy to bring him in.

“He’s a left winger but Adam plays at a high level wherever he plays.”

lol

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

No doubt.

The really frustrating thing is that he could've slammed the brakes on his madcap scheme after we lost to Huddersfield - we still had players who would raise a decent fee and could have been replaced with younger up-and-comers on smaller wages. We might not have challenged for promotion again straightaway, but it wouldn't have been the certain death warrant that careering headfirst into the FFP rules was clearly going to be.

Who knows - a few of these younger players might even have developed into the kind of player Premier League clubs look for, and then we'd certainly have stood a good chance of balancing the books.

But we didn't do that, did we? We chose to keep pretty much every player until the end of their contract, ensuring we recouped bugger all.

Yep after the Huddersfield game, any sensible and good business man would have done a fire sale and reevaluated our position. By fire sale I don’t mean clear out the entire squad, but that summer we were turning down bids for Westwood and Forestieri and signing more big names for big fees and high wages (Boyd and Van Aken). 

He was hanging on to the hope we could go again, but let’s be honest we needed to balance the books and change approach a bit. 

You can say hindsight is a wonderful thing. But at the end of the day the Chairman is the only one who truly knows the financial position of the club. At that time it would have been clear to him that FFP was going to be a huge problem if we didn’t sell. He chose to ignore this and look where it got us.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2021 at 11:47, Bouncing Owl said:

Personally, I think he’s a lucky boy if the Baggies are after him. I think he’s a decent player when he’s on it but not top level championship standard. Plus, you’ve got to question his desire and heart for the team when the chips are down. 

I wish him well tho. 

Same. Ive noticed a trend on here the last few weeks where fans seem to be forgetting how often these so called stars let us down so badly last season…. Paid or not