ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Also I will just make the point that none of the Southgate haters we are reading said a single word of criticism before tonight 

Yet now it’s all Southgate’s crap, the tournament was weak etc etc 

But before tonight?

Not a dicky bird 

Have a word with yourself captain hindsight and the Retrospectives

Sometimes you just come up against better teams.

• Like 2

Shame Rice and Mount were subbed, I have a feeling they'd had taken penalties with a little more confidence and conviction. 

Good performance from the defence and midfield all tournament, but hopefully that's the end of Henderson's England career.   

• Like 1

Well played to everyone in the England team, were magnificent throughout this tournament and anyone that tries to suggest otherwise needs to have a bit of a reality check. 

It’s been an awful 18 months not just in this country but the world over and it was amazing to see so much passion and togetherness over the last 4 weeks across all nations. 

Fair play to Italy; but this team has so much more to give bring on the next few tournaments. 

Ever since we got relegated i put my faith in mr Southgate and the England team to restore my passion for this wonderful game and they have certainly done that. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

They would wipe the floor with England's 'Golden Generation' team though.

This Italian team? Yes they would cruise past the “golden generation” England team, although so did many other teams.

Overall though we do have a good squad that can go far.

I think GS should stay on with the proviso that lets the players play and not be so rigid in the system he's put in place.

There's a decent base in place now for us to mount a serious challenge in future tournaments

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

The best we can hope for is that Italy celebrate so hard and long that it reduces the GDP to the extent that the country is bankrupt.

I think Gareth was thinking the same.

Quite shrewd really

Said it earlier in the tournament, that Southgate's tactics appeared to be to bore the opposition into submission.

There are some great players there, but his style of cautious % football isn't for me.

I suppose it is that divide between fans from the " a win's a win and I don't care how we get there" to those who like so see a bit more pazazz.

Like Carlos' second season, pretty successful in winning matches, but god a lot of it was dull.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, edmontonowl said:

I think GS should stay on with the proviso that lets the players play and not be so rigid in the system he's put in place.

There's a decent base in place now for us to mount a serious challenge in future tournaments

A semi final at the world cup puts you into an elite group.

A final placing at the euros is definitely a serious challenge.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buck Rogers said:

Wrong.

Second place is the first loser.

Winners don't take comfort in how they got the opportunity to lose in the first place.

Ok mate 

At the moment I’m watching Twitter crucifying the young players because of that thought process 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

Reactions are so interesting. I think for some it would have been much easier to get knocked out earlier in the competition.

We are so much improved, fact. We avoided slipping up in situations we would have previously, fact. Once you get to the final the fine margins are even finer but you have to be there to have a chance.

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

I'd write off the Qatar World Cup tbh because that is going to suit the eams from warmer climates.The best we can hope for is QF at best even with the air conditioned stadia. 2024 Euros is a much more realistic aim.

• Haha 1

I'm annoyed we looked like we were happy to take it to pens. We had a home crowd, just go for it, if we lose its because they were better than us.

Think I need to sleep on it, plus I'm ridiculously hungover so annoyed anyway.

Got to a final, been a great 4 weeks tbf.

• Like 3