Christian Erickson.

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not sure it's a matter of having a breakdown due to watching something like that or any acknowledgement that people do die.

More the fact that when tuning in to watch a game of football, most probably don't want to have the camera focus on someone being attended to live in a critical situation or see the distress of concerned loved ones looking on. Especially kids watching. Why would you want to witness this?  

I remember having my little boy sat with me watching Grosjean's accident before Xmas and thinking I'm going to have to explain to him that he's just witnessed someone die. Fortunately he was in the garden playing football yesterday so missed the graphic scenes. I was kind of glad sat there watching as I wouldn't have wanted him to have seen the close ups.

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not sure it's a matter of having a breakdown due to watching something like that or any acknowledgement that people do die.

More the fact that when tuning in to watch a game of football, most probably don't want to have the camera focus on someone being attended to live in a critical situation or see the distress of concerned loved ones looking on. Especially kids watching. Why would you want to witness this?  

I mean they shouldn’t show it, should have cut to the studio earlier.

But you couldn’t see all that much on the pitch anyway. I don’t think people were getting upset about how graphic the footage is, more the situation that someone might die. Which is a bit soft.. I always thought he was more likely to survive with the medical care he was bound to receive

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I mean they shouldn’t show it, should have cut to the studio earlier.

But you couldn’t see all that much on the pitch anyway. I don’t think people were getting upset about how graphic the footage is, more the situation that someone might die. Which is a bit soft.. I always thought he was more likely to survive with the medical care he was bound to receive

If you are watching a football match on TV with young kids you don't really want to have to explain to them that watch they are watching is someone dying in front of them during a game.

Don't really want to get into an argument about this. It is fantastic that Eriksen is OK. 

1 hour ago, scram said:

This isn't true

Every player has a window of their own physical parameters - they will train to periodise their peaks to match demands

So the goal is to get the ideal rest/recovery to ensure that their physical output is being offset by their recovery

The monitoring is to ensure that players are as close to peak readiness as possible - this is mapped by an equation called the acute/chronic work ratio - that is how much is their current work load compared to say a 2 week rolling average (it's not exactly that but it can be thought of that way)

Then there are different physical objectives - volume and intensity being a couple - ie you can't have volume (time) with high intensity - for one it would injury the players and for 2 it doesn't replicate match demands

And the goal should always be to replicate match demands

It's quite complex but it's not at all about daily going out and trying to get PB's in physical metrics - it;'s about optimising the training type and load to equate to the demands of a match

As this has come from you, I will concede to your actual knowledge. I was only regurgitating something I read. 

• Thanks 1

I like how people are claiming it’s the producers responsibility to cut away from the scenes so they don’t have to watch all the whole absolving any personal responsibility and just passing it off to someone else. If you don’t want to watch it or want your kids to watch it then just turn the tv off it’s not exactly hard to do.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I like how people are claiming it’s the producers responsibility to cut away from the scenes so they don’t have to watch all the whole absolving any personal responsibility and just passing it off to someone else. If you don’t want to watch it or want your kids to watch it then just turn the tv off it’s not exactly hard to do.

Yep

There's an 'off' switch
Sitting through something you don't want to see and then moaning about it is as hypocritical as complaining about the BBC as a corporation and Gary Lineker as a presenter, but being sat tuned in watching Gary Lineker presenting on the BBC - something that's also been tickling me on social media the last 24 hours

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

People are quite soft nowadays and can’t see anything like that without having a breakdown.

I know it’s awful but accidents or incidents like this do happen and people do die. Imagine what it was like for our grandads or great grandads who would have seen much worse away at war on a constant basis, and probably never received any therapy or anything for it.

Struggling to think of a post filled with more rubbish than that.

Unsure how not wanting to watch people die makes people soft? Do you think the kids who were watching it should see live scenes of people dying?

What about his family not wanting his potential death broadcast live?

Thankfully, we’re not at war, we’re trying to watch a football match. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Unsure how not wanting to watch people die makes people soft? Do you think the kids who were watching it should see live scenes of people dying?

Totally agree. I wonder if LondonOwl has actually seen someone die in front of him. Its horrific to see even if you do know/accept that people die.

Main point is that the guy looks like he is on the road to recovery. How people feel or react to what they saw is irrelevant.

Everyone is different and handles situations differently. 

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
8 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

No, I think they should just turn the TV off if they don’t want to watch it or their kids to watch it.

I’ve not mentioned anything about kids. Was talking about the hysterical reaction from a lot of adults to such an unfortunate incident 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Yep

There's an 'off' switch
Sitting through something you don't want to see and then moaning about it is as hypocritical as complaining about the BBC as a corporation and Gary Lineker as a presenter, but being sat tuned in watching Gary Lineker presenting on the BBC - something that's also been tickling me on social media the last 24 hours

Correct

I don’t buy a TV licence these days as I don’t want to watch the BBC or iplayer 

People who pay for a licence and do nothing but moan about it are a bit weird 

54 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

No, I think they should just turn the TV off if they don’t want to watch it or their kids to watch it.

I’ve not mentioned anything about kids. Was talking about the hysterical reaction from a lot of adults to such an unfortunate incident 

The incident was unfortunate. Having close ups of a critically ill man having cpr wasn’t unfortunate, it was deliberate. 

And no one mentioned the war but you thought to bring it up.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It's not hysterical to have empathy for someone who you think might be in mortal danger.

It's just empathy.

• Like 3

Once the guy was obviously so ill ,only human to want to know he was ok 

Be bizarre to just turn off.

The camera work was allover the shop it moved away relatively quickly at first and the expectation would be studio or  neutral shot and commentary,then moved to a super close up and it's was like wtf.

Now if the commentary had said " oh we are going to keep keep the camera right on the player " that's a whole different thing .That would have been choosing to be a ghoulish voyeur

Read that Italian law states he’ll not be able to continue playing for Inter Milan now it’s confirmed he’s had a heart attack.

I mean. I imagine he’ll just retire. But if he chose to continue playing, which I doubt, it seems he’d have to leave Italy.

Also read that because he plays for an Italian club it’s even more shocking that he’s had a heart issue because their medical screening is one of the best in the world for these things, although this potentially points towards a conclusion that he didn’t have an underlying heart issue and it was just a random occurrence 

10 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Read that Italian law states he’ll not be able to continue playing for Inter Milan now it’s confirmed he’s had a heart attack.

I mean. I imagine he’ll just retire. But if he chose to continue playing, which I doubt, it seems he’d have to leave Italy.

Also read that because he plays for an Italian club it’s even more shocking that he’s had a heart issue because their medical screening is one of the best in the world for these things, although this potentially points towards a conclusion that he didn’t have an underlying heart issue and it was just a random occurrence 

Think I read earlier that the UK would also stop him playing in England due to his medical history now.