Christian Erickson.

Guest LondonOwl313
59 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Can't for the life of me understand why they didn't postpone the game for a couple of days give the players a proper chance to get over the initial shock..

Shameful by EUFA.

There’s no room in the schedule to postpone games. Every team plays a group game every 4-5 days and then it’s the knockout stages where it’s the same. You can’t shift it along.. think of all the organisation that’s gone in to it, can’t change the whole schedule. And would imagine the final is on the weekend, wouldn’t be the same moving that.

So if the schedule is fixed then the other alternative would be to play games 2 days apart, a bit like when Man Utd played Leicester and Liverpool in the same mid week. End up where everyone rests their players and it devalues the competition.

If he’d died then i wouldn’t have been surprised if Denmark withdrew from the whole thing. Given he’s fine by the sounds of it then they needed to carry on. It was the players choice to play tonight rather than tomorrow by the sounds of it

2 minutes ago, Furious George said:

Lots of prayers and thanking God for his survival on this thread.

Not the science and medical team who really saved him.

You're right.

Thank God for medical science and the professionalism and skill of medics.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Might be wrong but I thought after what happened to him they changed the rules to ensure all players have heart scans. A player like Eriksen is an elite player, someone who plays at the highest level and only 18 months ago moved for £20+ million.

So he must have been throughly checked over. We’ve no idea what actually happened today to him, it just looks bad when someone drops like that. He could have fainted, could have had heat stroke, a reaction to the vaccine.. might not even be a heart issue. Have to just let the doctors do their job and I’m sure he’ll be fine now he’s come round

His heart must have gone into an abnormal Rhythm to be defib’d. HOCM doesn’t look very different on an ECHO to an athletic heart. Possibly missed. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Apparently awake. Positive signs.

I know I'm going off at a tangent, but I'm genuinely fearful of players welfare during the Qatar world cup.

6500 migrants have died since Qatar won the right to the World Cup https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/23/revealed-migrant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

Players will have immediate medical care on standby at all times.  Poor workers have nothing.

• Thanks 1

That way one of the worst things I've seen in a pitch, the way he went down and Kjaer was moving his lifeless body, all whilst the camera was zoomed in on him. 

I'm so glad that he is awake and conscious now. Well done to the medical staff, players and ref for quick thinking, you saved his life. 

• Like 1

Guest Hornsby
1 hour ago, Manwë said:

6500 migrants have died since Qatar won the right to the World Cup https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/23/revealed-migrant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

Players will have immediate medical care on standby at all times.  Poor workers have nothing.

One wonders if we are pushing these players too far , especially during this terrible time.

My doctor wife says not physically related but emotional stress on these big occasions can contribute.

Him playing in Italy, most stringent cardiac checks anywhere. Even young kids playing park football regulated by local clubs must all have annual certificate of satisfactory  heart and other tests.

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

One wonders if we are pushing these players too far , especially during this terrible time.

My doctor wife says not physically related but emotional stress on these big occasions can contribute.

Him playing in Italy, most stringent cardiac checks anywhere. Even young kids playing park football regulated by local clubs must all have annual certificate of satisfactory  heart and other tests.

There is a “loose” adage about giving 110% which is often legitimately corrected with the response “you cannot give more than 100%” which used to be absolutely true maybe 5 or 10 years ago. However, now we live in an age of things such as Apex Sports Vests system - the little black “sports bra” that is a GPS and heart rate monitoring system and the associated “player tracking” hardware set up at trading grounds and football stadiums. These systems allow clubs to capture a players physical and aerobic capability and capacity. I read an article that explained that every player at every club with these systems is expected to strive to meet or go beyond their physical and aerobic capability and capacity or risk losing their place in the first team. Effectively, a human can give more than 100% physically and aerobically for a period of time and clubs are expecting their players to do this - in short, clubs are “redlining” their players like we “redline” cars when racing them. Unfortunately, if we constantly “redline” a car, the engine will burnout; I wouldn’t be surprised if this has been the case with Eriksson. 

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

Yes there’s too many matches these days and not enough time off to recover.   European football like the ridiculous “champions” league, where you can finish 4th in the league and qualify, is part of the problem with all it’s matches.  We’d also get better quality football games if players had a week to recover between games, rather than play on a Thursday night and then on a Sunday lunchtime.  
As with everything money is part of the problem as I doubt the champions league will ever be allowed to return to how it should be, a smaller completion with just being the champions of each league and maybe the runners up in a qualifying game.  

• Love 1

8 hours ago, AmeliaJane said:

His heart must have gone into an abnormal Rhythm to be defib’d. HOCM doesn’t look very different on an ECHO to an athletic heart. Possibly missed. 

Was he actually shocked though?

I didn't see the incident personally 

8 hours ago, AmeliaJane said:

Very unlikely to be missed in a high level sportsperson

The abundance of caution used when the left ventricle wall has thickened would see any player from academy upwards have a CPEX and possibly cardiac MR scan

59 minutes ago, shandypants said:

There is a “loose” adage about giving 110% which is often legitimately corrected with the response “you cannot give more than 100%” which used to be absolutely true maybe 5 or 10 years ago. However, now we live in an age of things such as Apex Sports Vests system - the little black “sports bra” that is a GPS and heart rate monitoring system and the associated “player tracking” hardware set up at trading grounds and football stadiums. These systems allow clubs to capture a players physical and aerobic capability and capacity. I read an article that explained that every player at every club with these systems is expected to strive to meet or go beyond their physical and aerobic capability and capacity or risk losing their place in the first team. Effectively, a human can give more than 100% physically and aerobically for a period of time and clubs are expecting their players to do this - in short, clubs are “redlining” their players like we “redline” cars when racing them. Unfortunately, if we constantly “redline” a car, the engine will burnout; I wouldn’t be surprised if this has been the case with Eriksson. 

This isn't true

Every player has a window of their own physical parameters - they will train to periodise their peaks to match demands

So the goal is to get the ideal rest/recovery to ensure that their physical output is being offset by their recovery

The monitoring is to ensure that players are as close to peak readiness as possible - this is mapped by an equation called the acute/chronic work ratio - that is how much is their current work load compared to say a 2 week rolling average (it's not exactly that but it can be thought of that way)

Then there are different physical objectives - volume and intensity being a couple - ie you can't have volume (time) with high intensity - for one it would injury the players and for 2 it doesn't replicate match demands

And the goal should always be to replicate match demands

It's quite complex but it's not at all about daily going out and trying to get PB's in physical metrics - it;'s about optimising the training type and load to equate to the demands of a match

3 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

Pretty sure seen a link from the Danish coach that he was defribulated in the pitch.

I was unfortunate enough to be watching and at one point ,his body  VIOLENTLY jerked as he was being worked on

Yes they unfortunately showed Eriksen getting shock treatment on the pitch, I note the BBC have since apologised but still not good

Guest LondonOwl313
48 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Should remember that it's only really in the UK that TV cuts away from scenes like that

In other countries they show things like that live or even pre-recorded as the norm

It's a UK thing to squirm and cut away from it - nowhere else

People are quite soft nowadays and can’t see anything like that without having a breakdown.

I know it’s awful but accidents or incidents like this do happen and people do die. Imagine what it was like for our grandads or great grandads who would have seen much worse away at war on a constant basis, and probably never received any therapy or anything for it.

17 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

People are quite soft nowadays and can’t see anything like that without having a breakdown.

I know it’s awful but accidents or incidents like this do happen and people do die. Imagine what it was like for our grandads or great grandads who would have seen much worse away at war on a constant basis, and probably never received any therapy or anything for it.

Not sure it's a matter of having a breakdown due to watching something like that or any acknowledgement that people do die.

More the fact that when tuning in to watch a game of football, most probably don't want to have the camera focus on someone being attended to live in a critical situation or see the distress of concerned loved ones looking on. Especially kids watching. Why would you want to witness this?  

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Should remember that it's only really in the UK that TV cuts away from scenes like that

In other countries they show things like that live or even pre-recorded as the norm

It's a UK thing to squirm and cut away from it - nowhere else

In 1994 the BBC cut away from the live RAI feed in Italy of Senna's accident as they were zooming in on the scene. So the BBC have cut away from the world feed before when things get a little graphic. They were fortunate on that day that Steve Rider presented the Grand Prix from the circuit so had an additional camera in the pit lane they could go back to and away from the world feed. If you watch the Eurosport feed of the same race they stay with the RAI world feed and John Watson, who was commentating at the time, repeatedly says live on air the producer should be cutting away from the scenes being broadcast. The previous day Ratzenberger's fatal qualifying accident had been shown live on Eurosport (including heart massage being given).

Edited by mark77