Jordan Rhodes - Huddersfield Medical

11 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

The problem when Norwich came knocking was that we still owed Boro transfer payments, so it would have cost us to let him go.

That's why the fee to Norwich was £2 million, essentially they'd have paid the remaining fee we owed Boro

I know.

What I'm questioning is why that would have been any different if Huddersfield had come in for him on a free six months later.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bannofan said:

A Chairman would have to be absolutely clueless not to have given him a free transfer, he was a financial liability.....🤔 😏

Giving a free transfer probably means demanding no fee but paying up the contract. No fee actually means a negative transaction with regards to P&S rules because transfer fees are amortised across the length of the contract. Not as straightforward a financial decision as you make it sound 

• Like 2

Its crazy how some fans think its just like Footy Manager, where players can be sold, loaned or released at will. Its also mad how many people dont see the other side of the coin when they suggest something as being fact. 

No way were we going to give Rhodes a free transfer to anyone whilst we still owed money on him. His fee was spread over his contracts in regards to FFP and we paid what we owed in full to Middlesborough moment we let him leave. Plus, even if we did take the hit on his fee, we would no doubt also be liable to pay off large part of his remaining contract even after he had moved. 

As for him being crap and not able to get into ours, the Norwich and Middlesboroughs teams, that not really as straight forward as some think either. Borough bought him for  around £10m in a bid to try and ensure they got promoted. He bagged 6 and got 3 assists in 18 championship games for them and they went up. We bought him after he played just 24 games for them, in the hope hed helf do the same for us.

When Rhodes was loaned to Norwich, they had Pukki up front who was on fire. Norwich played one up front all season and Rhodes played as cover for Pukki, usually being subbed on late on. Anyone who thinks Norwich were gonna play Rhodes over an on fire Pukki needs their head testing. Plus if he was crap, why did they want him after his loan? 

As for us, i dont think we played him enough to say he was capbable or crap. Total minutes played for us was equivilent to 61 games total in all comps. His 20 goals and 5 assists in that time would make him about a 1 in 3 striker if the stats worked that way. Easy to say hes crap, past it ect, but truth is we havent seen him have a crack at playing for a full season as a starter since his last season at blackburn.

Edited by OwlinOldham
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

As for us, i dont think we played him enough to say he was capbable or crap. Total minutes played for us was equivilent to 61 games total in all comps. His 20 goals and 5 assists in that time would make him about a 1 in 3 striker if the stats worked that way. Easy to say hes crap, past it ect, but truth is we havent seen him have a crack at playing for a full season as a starter since his last season at blackburn.

Let's not try and pretend he was better than he was. 1 in 3 is pretty crap. Nuhiu was a 1 in 3 striker and plenty slated him but he was on a hell of a lot less money and would at least contribute to the rest of the team, by winning headers and holding the ball up. Fletcher was a 1 in 2-and-a-half to 1-in-3 kind of striker but he would work tirelessly holding the ball up, helping out in defence, etc. Paterson has been 1 in 4 this season and he's played in defence and midfield at various points.

Aside from that 1 in 3 what have we got from Rhodes? He barely touches the ball, rarely gets involved in support play - 5 assists in over 60 games is a shocking return for a forward. I think he averages about 12 passes to a teammate per game every 90 mins. 

You earn the right to play, and across 5 different managers there was only really Moore who was anywhere near getting a tune out of him at the end. I honestly don't think he's a Championship player in this day and age - the game has evolved in the past 5 years and teams can't afford to carry the goal poacher/passenger type players. They have to adapt or die. I think we'll see next year when he's on Huddersfield's bench that he's a League One player at best these days.

• Love 1

This "minutes per goal" thing amuses me

He put on a Wednesday shirt what 120 times...

Even if he came on for 5 minutes he didn't influence a game enough, didn't score enough.

His strike rate is 1 in 6 at the end of the day.

Loads of strikers have no issues coming off the bench and changing a game he never did it.

I can't even count the amount of games in one hand where Rhodes was

worth the fee.... like probably twice.

When he got game time he didn't do enough.

Poor signing, waste of money.

Good luck at Huddersfield, genuinely hope we swap places with him after next season.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 06:24, Holmowl said:

I think some fans think our infamous ‘recruitment team’ are going to unearth a fast, hungry 21 year old Drogba-esque replacement for Rhodes, and a young Ryan Giggs for Reach.

Hungry and someone that can score regular would be fine yno.

Now that some of the overpaid bottlers have left the club (in league one) we can assemble a squad with fight and desire

that we can be proud of.

15 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Exactly how has he pulled the wool over peoples eyes? The club offered him a salary it couldn’t afford to pay. He accepted it. He stayed until his contract ran out because he wasn’t offered more money elsewhere. Seems pretty straightforward and reasonable to me. 

Because that makes him a greedy bugger rather than someone who wants a fresh a start , a chance to play regular football and maybe even. rejuvenate an international career. 

The pulling the wool over peoples eyes comes from this notion that he is a hard done hero, and "One of the nicest guys in football".

His actions have not be in keeping with an honest 'nice guy '. 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 06:24, Holmowl said:

I think some fans think our infamous ‘recruitment team’ are going to unearth a fast, hungry 21 year old Drogba-esque replacement for Rhodes, and a young Ryan Giggs for Reach.

No fans expect that, mate,  not one. 

I would happily accept Charles Hagan playing up front every game - that's our U23's striker isn't it? 

I'd take commitment,  effort and enthusiasm now over someone like Rhodes or a similar journeyman looking for a wage packet and not caring who hands it out. 

• Like 1

On 21/05/2021 at 22:37, Holmowl said:

A quick look at that makes it even more inexplicable that he barely started.

Opposition for his starts. I’ve added the result when he left the field. 

Cardiff W

Watford D

Swansea W

Wycombe W

Stoke D

Brentford L

Norwich D

Huddersfield W

Barnsley W

Watford L 

Cardiff W

QPR L

Swansea L

Blackburn W

Derby D

Starts 15
Winning 7

Drawing 4

Losing 4

Seemingly our glorious array of managerial talent this season thought he was the man to lead the line against that top heavy set of opponents, but not the rest. Despite it clearly working.

Swansea W (we drew 1-1)

Stoke D (we lost 1-0)

Norwich D (we lost 1-2)

Huddersfield W (we drew 1-1)

Starts 15

Winning 5

Drawing 4

Losing 6

Stat homework 1/10 must try harder

• Haha 1

On 20/05/2021 at 13:01, OwlinOldham said:

Rhodes is a unique player in that hes not  massively strong or fast, hes not overly skillfull and hes not great in the air when the balls pumped up to him. The one thing he is (or was) good at is playing on the shoulder of the last man and sneaking in and grabbing a goal. Yet we have not played in this way since before he was signed. For seasons, almost all of our play has gone through Bannan and the hollywood ball over the top to the likes of Fletcher or Nuhiu. When he has come on as a sub for these players, hes been asked to play the same role as they were playing. Players like Rhodes fit a unique style of play,  you dont sign them if your not going to set up and play in a way that gets the most out of them...... Unless you are Wednesday anyways. 

You could be right, he could have been absolutely Sh!te in training and thats why he wasnt picked. I However think it was more a case that he was never really able to fit into or make an impact on the way we were playing at that time, given the fact his all round game (aside from scoring) isnt one thats very good in a set up like ours was. Whils some might say its funny hes hit form at the end of his contract, the same could also be said that hes hit form when we have started playing with wide players and getting balls into the box from all angles. 

Guess we will never know really, but the fact he has almso always been fit and has only played the equivilent of 61 full games across four years is our bad.  

Well lets see if anyone in the Championship fancys him as a free agent....if not,i think we have our answer....

26 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

Swansea W (we drew 1-1)

Stoke D (we lost 1-0)

Norwich D (we lost 1-2)

Huddersfield W (we drew 1-1)

Starts 15

Winning 5

Drawing 4

Losing 6

Stat homework 1/10 must try harder

Oh dear oh dear Holmowl caught out badly here.

Turns out he was making up stats to suit his argument

Any penalty taker/striker who refuses to take a penalty in any game,should have walked out of the club that night.

Another disaster of a player who enjoyed his contract but couldnt be arsed.

Good riddance and thanks for the one game v Forest.

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Six different managers have mismanaged him?

He's a seriously unlucky footballer isn't he? 

Absolutely.  

Take a good long look where Wednesday are right now, it is the result of serious negligence and mismanagement on all fronts.  

This poo has been going on for 20 plus years. Wake up!

31 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Absolutely.  

Take a good long look where Wednesday are right now, it is the result of serious negligence and mismanagement on all fronts.  

This poo has been going on for 20 plus years. Wake up!

You're serious aren't you? 

So because Jordan Rhodes obviously has deficiencies in his game that 6 different professional managers and numerous coaches have seen, professionals who work with him day to day,  it means those 6 managers and their coaching staff have been clueless?

That ridiculous conclusion just to defend a player that has contributed next to nothing a d seriously damaged our club financially?

Seriously? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1