Jordan Rhodes - Huddersfield Medical

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am not so sure about that.

Was many a match I didn't really notice him until he was subbed after an hour.

This season?

Here’s the games he started. Tell us which ones you didn’t notice him in.

I show the result when he was subbed.

Cardiff W

Watford D

Swansea W

Wycombe W

Stoke D

Brentford L

Norwich D

Huddersfield W

Barnsley W

Watford L 

Cardiff W

QPR L

Swansea L

Blackburn W

Derby D

Starts 15
Winning 7

Drawing 4

Losing 4

11 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

This season?

Here’s the games he started. Tell us which ones you didn’t notice him in.

I show the result when he was subbed.

Cardiff W

Watford D

Swansea W

Wycombe W

Stoke D

Brentford L

Norwich D

Huddersfield W

Barnsley W

Watford L 

Cardiff W

QPR L

Swansea L

Blackburn W

Derby D

Starts 15
Winning 7

Drawing 4

Losing 4

All of them apart from ones he scored in and Derby away where I admit he did put his head in where it hurts for a change.

I agree with Carlton Palmer, he was paid big big money to deliver no excuses and he didn't.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, parajack said:

Same answer every time....WHY?  why would not one manager start him regularly at S6,..theres only one answer thats credible isnt there?

So what your saying is that there is only one answer that you think it is, which you are seemingly not willing to look past in any way shape or form? I have already said maybe he was crap in training because that might have been it. But unlike you, i also offered the other side of the coin, with it being possible and just as likley that his limited skillset as a player would have offered very little to the way that the team had to set up and play in that time. Good mangers or not, it would have been fairly obvious that a slow, not very strong or very skillfull Rhodes was not the answer in a team with no creative threat other than the ball over the top. Its not like we had been putting quality balls into the box or putting slide rule passes through the middle in all that time is it? 

12 hours ago, parajack said:

Yeah i really enjoyed seeing our defence pass square balls across the front of our own box,whilst taking an age to play a pass...AS WE LOST....

Im not really sure what you are getting at with this response to be fair. The defence playing across the back is something that happened for a period,  even then it lasted right up until the ball got given to Bannan deep in our own half. At that point we then reverted to type over and over again as Bannan usually played hollywood balls over the top. 

40 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

So what your saying is that there is only one answer that you think it is, which you are seemingly not willing to look past in any way shape or form? I have already said maybe he was crap in training because that might have been it. But unlike you, i also offered the other side of the coin, with it being possible and just as likley that his limited skillset as a player would have offered very little to the way that the team had to set up and play in that time. Good mangers or not, it would have been fairly obvious that a slow, not very strong or very skillfull Rhodes was not the answer in a team with no creative threat other than the ball over the top. Its not like we had been putting quality balls into the box or putting slide rule passes through the middle in all that time is it? 

Im not really sure what you are getting at with this response to be fair. The defence playing across the back is something that happened for a period,  even then it lasted right up until the ball got given to Bannan deep in our own half. At that point we then reverted to type over and over again as Bannan usually played hollywood balls over the top. 

Mate your looking for things that simply are not credible,not about me being closed mind in my view,as others have commented JR simply wasnt doing the business even before we bought him,simple fact,nor was he in favour at Boro...

Multiple managers/stand in managers,have chosen not to start him,even at a time when we had no recognized striker....I ask why?? And my answer is not that our preferred 'style' didnt suit JR...

Common sense would dictate that the managers would have made a style that did fit him,but only IF they believed he would be effective.....

They choose not to....ergo they didnt believe he could produce the goods...and has he really? had a little burst this season,when(coincidentally) his contracts up..How many times have we seen that at S6?

As to the 'better football' myth,your right on that,balls played square,or in nice pretty(slow!!) triangles ,usually across the front of our own area,while the opposition easily close us down,leading to panicked defenders than passing back,or as you say the big hoof upfield,where the ball is very often easily lost...

We lost,were beaten,and beaten easily by very average sides..but never mind we lost 'in style'

rinse and repeat...

Edited by parajack

On 21/05/2021 at 23:12, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Yet he'll be playing in the championship next season while we're scrabbling around in the pub league.

On 22/05/2021 at 17:03, parajack said:

Will he?

Do you think they've signed him on a 3 year deal to not play him, or to be their new Terry the terrier mascot? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Do you think they've signed him on a 3 year deal to not play him, or to be their new Terry the terrier mascot? 

I thought we had signed him to play,and we offered him 5 Years...didnt get off the bench much at Norwich either...guess i dont really understand the JR  'love' on here...

2 hours ago, parajack said:

Mate your looking for things that simply are not credible,not about me being closed mind in my view,as others have commented JR simply wasnt doing the business even before we bought him,simple fact,nor was he in favour at Boro...

Multiple managers/stand in managers,have chosen not to start him,even at a time when we had no recognized striker....I ask why?? And my answer is not that our preferred 'style' didnt suit JR...

Common sense would dictate that the managers would have made a style that did fit him,but only IF they believed he would be effective.....

They choose not to....ergo they didnt believe he could produce the goods...and has he really? had a little burst this season,when(coincidentally) his contracts up..How many times have we seen that at S6?

As to the 'better football' myth,your right on that,balls played square,or in nice pretty(slow!!) triangles ,usually across the front of our own area,while the opposition easily close us down,leading to panicked defenders than passing back,or as you say the big hoof upfield,where the ball is very often easily lost...

We lost,were beaten,and beaten easily by very average sides..but never mind we lost 'in style'

rinse and repeat...

I think Rhodes's unwavering fan club come on here defending him, they indulge in a bit of false memory .

They say that we never played to Rhodes strengths , but I don't think that is true.

I think Carlos C, especially in the beginning, tried all sorts of combinations and styles to accommodate Rhodes, alienating and losing the belief of other strikers as a consequence. He had no choice really, he had an £8 mil striker on stupid money a week, he had to try everything possible to get a tune out of him. 

The fact remains that 6 different managers saw enough of him in training every week to make the decision that he didn't warrant a place in the starting line up. Was it attitude or ability? both ?  

I would absolutely love to know the reason why; we all would. Perhaps Rhodes' time here coincided with a difficult personal time for him. It might be as simple as that.

1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

I think Rhodes's unwavering fan club come on here defending him, they indulge in a bit of false memory .

They say that we never played to Rhodes strengths , but I don't think that is true.

I think Carlos C, especially in the beginning, tried all sorts of combinations and styles to accommodate Rhodes, alienating and losing the belief of other strikers as a consequence. He had no choice really, he had an £8 mil striker on stupid money a week, he had to try everything possible to get a tune out of him. 

The fact remains that 6 different managers saw enough of him in training every week to make the decision that he didn't warrant a place in the starting line up. Was it attitude or ability? both ?  

I would absolutely love to know the reason why; we all would. Perhaps Rhodes' time here coincided with a difficult personal time for him. It might be as simple as that.

Maybe personally i dont care,they say money doesnt make you happy,and its true,but it damn well makes being miserable a whole lot more bearable....let him take his millions elsewhere....and take a few more of his 'colleagues' with him

5 hours ago, wednesdaywizard said:

As a group of fans we're rapidly turning in to the abused spouse of the football community.  Feeling like we are being irrational, expecting too much, not giving enough and generally in the wrong when in actual fact the players who we so badly let down go on to do nothing for the clubs they join after us.

Players who 'we' so badly let down?? Kinell...............its football supporters Jim,but not as we know it...image.png.283f0d9e790b6a05997b3b460842199d.png

Edited by parajack

2 hours ago, parajack said:

rinse and repeat...

Just to counter an inaccuracy, he was a virtual ever-present in Boro’s successful promotion run.

Only became surplus to requirements early next season in the Prem. Similar to Hooper and Forestieri at Norwich and Watford.

Posters who say he failed at Boro are mistaken.

21 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Just to counter an inaccuracy, he was a virtual ever-present in Boro’s successful promotion run.

Home

Sport

Football

Sheffield Wednesday FC

The rise, fall and potential rise again of Jordan Rhodes amid Huddersfield Town return links

Jordan Rhodes arrived at Sheffield Wednesday in 2017 and remains the club's most expensive ever player

huddersfieldexaminer

1COMMENTS

(Image: CameraSport - Rich Linley)

Get the latest Huddersfield Town news delivered straight to your inbox each day - sign up for free email updates

Subscribe

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.

He's scored more than 200 career goals and had millions of pounds spent on him during his career.

But now, Jordan Rhodes looks set to leave Sheffield Wednesday in the summer, with former club Huddersfield Town believed to be interested in bringing him back to the John Smith's Stadium as a free agent.

That has stirred up mixed feelings among the Terriers faithful, who are split between remembering the good old days and feeling those days may now be behind him - despite a recent marked upturn in his form.

Here, Yorkshire Live talks to five club writers who have seen the best and worst of Rhodes whilst covering his career to date.

Ipswich Town - 2007-2009

Mark Heath, Ipswich Star

"Jordan Rhodes will forever be the 'one who got away' for Ipswich Town fans.

Stats Performance of the Week - Kevin De Bruyne

"He was prolific in the club's reserves and youth teams, and all seemed to point to a phased step up into the first team, where he would surely become the latest academy product to shine under Portman Road's bright lights.

Jordan Rhodes scores for Ipswich back in 2008. (Photo by Jamie McDonald/Getty Images)

"Then-boss Roy Keane had other ideas though, allowing his prized young striker to depart for just £350,000 to Huddersfield back in August 2009, having only played a handful of games for the first string.

DocSleevesKnee Surgeons Are Losing It over These Breakthrough Knee Sleeves

OmazeOne person is guaranteed to win this Omaze Cotswolds house worth over £2,500,000

by Taboola

Sponsored Links

"Of course, Rhodes exploded at the Terriers, and Keane would later admit himself that it was the wrong decision.

"For years, Town fans harboured dreams that Rhodes would one day return, but instead they got to see him sign on loan for fierce rivals Norwich in 2018.

"It's now 11 years since Rhodes left Suffolk, but he's still held in high regard - even if a return now seems highly unlikely."

Jordan Rhodes celebrates one of his many goals during a prolific spell at Huddersfield Town. (Photo by Jamie McDonald/Getty Images)

Huddersfield Town - 2009-2012

Steven Chicken, Huddersfield Examiner

"Jordan Rhodes had made a few appearances for Ipswich and had loans at Oxford, Rochdale and Brentford, but it was at Huddersfield that it all really began for him.

"Town fans have been spoilt with some excellent centre-forwards down the years, and while he will never quite reach the same iconic status as Andy Booth in their eyes and others may have been quicker or more technically gifted, there is nobody in living memory that can compare with Rhodes for an uncanny knack to be in the right place at the right time to apply an unerringly ruthless finish.

"The numbers tell the story better than words ever could: Rhodes scored 87 goals in 148 appearances for Huddersfield Town. That’s a better goalscoring rate than Ian Rush managed for Liverpool or Alan Shearer managed for Newcastle.

"On a list of Huddersfield Town’s all-time top goalscorers, Rhodes is eighth; five of the seven players above him in that list spent at least ten years at the club and the other two were there for eight and five years respectively, while Rhodes was only a Town player for three years.

"No Town player in history has ever scored more goals in a regular league season than his 36 in 40 appearances in 2011/12, his final full season at the club.

"Pretty prolific, then, all told."

Jordan Rhodes at Blackburn Rovers. (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

Blackburn Rovers - 2012-2016

Alex James, Lancs Live

"The summer of 2012 was a very different time for Blackburn Rovers.

"They had just been relegated from the Premier League under Steve Kean, supporters wanted the manager out, and owners Venky's were under heavy fire after a series of bad decisions since taking over at Ewood Park.

"The August transfer window typified the poor planning and terrible decision making - the likes of Leon Best, Dickson Etuhu and Danny Murphy arrived for a combined fee of nearly £5million, all on hefty wages they failed to justify.

"Rovers also signed a contingent of Portuguese players, most of whom barely contributed to the cause.

"The exception was Jordan Rhodes - his arrival in late August from Huddersfield may well have been a hefty fee given the financial outlays elsewhere, but boy did Rhodes justify the price tag.

"In his first season he scored at more than a goal every other game to win the club's player of the year award in a campaign where Rovers had five different managers.

"He had a happy habit of scoring against Burnley and his partnership with Rudy Gestede in the 2013-14 season really should have fired Rovers into the play-offs.

"After three 20-goal seasons he left the club midway through the 2015-16 campaign, angling for a move to Championship rivals Middlesbrough.

"Rovers made their money back and it hasn't really happened for Rhodes since he left Ewood.

"Who knows what might have been had he stayed on a little longer."

Posters who say he failed at Boro are mistaken.

Ever present,?"He was signed in the January of 2016 and tasked with scoring the goals to win Boro promotion JR  scored 6 goals in 18 appearances and was left on the bench for the final Championship game,

"But the fact Rhodes was left on the bench for the final day promotion decider against Brighton was a clear message from Karanka and a sign of things to come.

"He would make just two Premier League starts and six appearances in total before being moved on in January 2017, a year after his arrival.

Only became surplus to requirements early next season in the Prem. Similar to Hooper and Forestieri at Norwich and Watford.

His goal rate in that season in the Championship,is on par with the 7 goals he scored for us this season....Karanka didnt think he was the answer,and niether do i.....Its all about percepton,yes he scored some important goals for Boro,but overall i believe in my opinion he FAILED....comare his record at Blackburn and Huddersfield,to his time at Boro........no inaccuracy's for you to correct

Rhodes played 24 games for Boro total. Amazing how he can be judged to have been on the slide from so little time. They Signed Negredo when they went up and we gave them a shot at getting back the silly money they spent on him to help get them out of the championship. it was a no lose for Boro. 

Pukki was on fire at Norwich and you just woudnt drop the leagues most in form striker for anyone, not even Rhodes. Plus they wanted to sign him at the end of that time, so he couldnt have been too crap.

Everyone seems to gloss over the two above facts when it comes to saying Rhodes was on the slide at both clubs.

Everywhere Rhodes has scored goals hes had a steady regular pass supply. Pilkington and Roberts at Hudds, Marshall, Cairney and Conway at Blackburn. For us, only Reach and Bannan have ever got into double figures assist wise during Rhodes time here. Both managed to get up to a dizzying 12 assists and Bannans 12 came in the season when Rhodes was out on loan. Ive already said Rhodes game is is pretty crap all round aside from bagging goals from passes in to the box. However, when was the last time we actually set up our team and played like that for a season? realistically, your not going to play Rhodes if hes not going to bring anything to the way you set up. being as we have an unbalanced team, with little creativity, it was always going to be the case that he was going to get left out. Thats not his fault, its ours for signing someone like him and thinking he will be okay being played as a lone striker, or as a target man or as someone that will chase down defenders.  

Im not happy about how it worked out anymore than others on here, but to simply suggest that hes stopped trying in training, blagged a wage for 4 and half years and put off 6 managers from picking him ect is just utter testiculation. He would hve been found out wayyyy before now if he was like that and no way Norwich would have wanted him or Hudds now on a 3 year deal. Rhodes is a luxury type player who brings to the table only one real skill. Sadly, the fact that we were preety poor across the whole team for long time, meant that any manager really coudnt afford to accomadate him in the team. No point playing forwards who you cant provide for, especially forwards whos lack of any other abilities will make an already poor team likely even weaker. 

Anyways, i cant be bothered debating this this any more. People are entitled to believe what they want and im happy to think theres a lot more to it than that. Thats the fun of being on this site  🙂 .

Hes not our problem anymore and nothing we say, do or think will change whats happened. Good luck to the lad and heres hoping we can rebuild and kick on from the steady decline we have had over the last 4 or so years. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

Rhodes played 24 games for Boro total. Amazing how he can be judged to have been on the slide from so little time. They Signed Negredo when they went up and we gave them a shot at getting back the silly money they spent on him to help get them out of the championship. it was a no lose for Boro. 

Pukki was on fire at Norwich and you just woudnt drop the leagues most in form striker for anyone, not even Rhodes. Plus they wanted to sign him at the end of that time, so he couldnt have been too crap.

Everyone seems to gloss over the two above facts when it comes to saying Rhodes was on the slide at both clubs.

Everywhere Rhodes has scored goals hes had a steady regular pass supply. Pilkington and Roberts at Hudds, Marshall, Cairney and Conway at Blackburn. For us, only Reach and Bannan have ever got into double figures assist wise during Rhodes time here. Both managed to get up to a dizzying 12 assists and Bannans 12 came in the season when Rhodes was out on loan. Ive already said Rhodes game is is pretty crap all round aside from bagging goals from passes in to the box. However, when was the last time we actually set up our team and played like that for a season? realistically, your not going to play Rhodes if hes not going to bring anything to the way you set up. being as we have an unbalanced team, with little creativity, it was always going to be the case that he was going to get left out. Thats not his fault, its ours for signing someone like him and thinking he will be okay being played as a lone striker, or as a target man or as someone that will chase down defenders.  

Im not happy about how it worked out anymore than others on here, but to simply suggest that hes stopped trying in training, blagged a wage for 4 and half years and put off 6 managers from picking him ect is just utter testiculation. He would hve been found out wayyyy before now if he was like that and no way Norwich would have wanted him or Hudds now on a 3 year deal. Rhodes is a luxury type player who brings to the table only one real skill. Sadly, the fact that we were preety poor across the whole team for long time, meant that any manager really coudnt afford to accomadate him in the team. No point playing forwards who you cant provide for, especially forwards whos lack of any other abilities will make an already poor team likely even weaker. 

Anyways, i cant be bothered debating this this any more. People are entitled to believe what they want and im happy to think theres a lot more to it than that. Thats the fun of being on this site  🙂 .

Hes not our problem anymore and nothing we say, do or think will change whats happened. Good luck to the lad and heres hoping we can rebuild and kick on from the steady decline we have had over the last 4 or so years. 

I dont see anyone has implied the things you have said,but what exactly are you suggesting the Club could have done with him,after giving him a 5 Year contract? because just about there only thing i can see is putting someone to train with the youngsters...

Abdi?... it is what it is,like i said before i just dont understand people who come on here and support/defend millionaire players who in my opinion have delivered absolutely nothing....

Game is broken.....

29 minutes ago, parajack said:

I dont see anyone has implied the things you have said,but what exactly are you suggesting the Club could have done with him,after giving him a 5 Year contract? because just about there only thing i can see is putting someone to train with the youngsters...

Abdi?... it is what it is,like i said before i just dont understand people who come on here and support/defend millionaire players who in my opinion have delivered absolutely nothing....

Game is broken.....

This thread is littered with people implying his career was sliding and on the way to being over when he was at Boro and Norwich. 

I never came on to suggest i knew what the answer was, I posted just to say that there was always going to be more to it than just Rhodes being crap and not impressing in training as is being suggested. Im also not defending his time with us as being good, im just pointing out that theres a mutitude of different factors probably at play, that have led to Rhodes being left out the team, not being played much and not kicking on and producing the goods for us when he has played. Truth is that if he wasnt able to bring anything to the way we were playing and set up, he didnt deserve to be out there, full stop. However, I personally think the managers saw that he offered little all round and for them reasons its why he didnt get the game time that other more rounded players with more to offer did.

Taking off the Wednesday tinted specs and removing his wage and transfer fees form the whole thing for a minute, would any other forward with the same play style as Rhodes have come good or offered anything in that same team and through that same period of time for us? Would we as fans be this angry about this whole thing if Rhodes had come to us on a free transfer and was only on on £5k a week? The answer is probably no to both of them questions. My point being that a lot of the anger and upset towards Rhodes time with us is because of what he cost us. Yet we chose to pay it and pay him, and we then chose to play him very little to try and justify that outlay. Thats not defending Rhodes, thats me saying the club shot themselves in the foot and that Rhodes or anyone else just like him, would not have avoided how this whole situation worked out. 

Not sure where Abdi came into it lol, and im not defending Rhodes time here as being good or claiming he delivered anything. The club has to take some balme for this whole mess too though. That aside, i do agree with you that the game is broken.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

This thread is littered with people implying his career was sliding and on the way to being over when he was at Boro and Norwich. 

I never came on to suggest i knew what the answer was, I posted just to say that there was always going to be more to it than just Rhodes being crap and not impressing in training as is being suggested. Im also not defending his time with us as being good, im just pointing out that theres a mutitude of different factors probably at play, that have led to Rhodes being left out the team, not being played much and not kicking on and producing the goods for us when he has played. Truth is that if he wasnt able to bring anything to the way we were playing and set up, he didnt deserve to be out there, full stop. However, I personally think the managers saw that he offered little all round and for them reasons its why he didnt get the game time that other more rounded players with more to offer did.

Taking off the Wednesday tinted specs and removing his wage and transfer fees form the whole thing for a minute, would any other forward with the same play style as Rhodes have come good or offered anything in that same team and through that same period of time for us? Would we as fans be this angry about this whole thing if Rhodes had come to us on a free transfer and was only on on £5k a week? The answer is probably no to both of them questions. My point being that a lot of the anger and upset towards Rhodes time with us is because of what he cost us. Yet we chose to pay it and pay him, and we then chose to play him very little to try and justify that outlay. Thats not defending Rhodes, thats me saying the club shot themselves in the foot and that Rhodes or anyone else just like him, would not have avoided how this whole situation worked out. 

Not sure where Abdi came into it lol, and im not defending Rhodes time here as being good or claiming he delivered anything. The club has to take some balme for this whole mess too though. That aside, i do agree with you that the game is broken.

It is a mess of the Clubs making 110% no argument,we will agree to differ on JR career...i know what i think,as to would he get the same stick? from me he would yes,5 K a week,a week? that would still be over a quarter of a million pounds a Year,plus win bonus,match appearance,image rights, With NI and pension contributions on top.

JR and the other players have offered nothing,

12 minutes ago, parajack said:

It is a mess of the Clubs making 110% no argument,we will agree to differ on JR career...i know what i think,as to would he get the same stick? from me he would yes,5 K a week,a week? that would still be over a quarter of a million pounds a Year,plus win bonus,match appearance,image rights, With NI and pension contributions on top.

JR and the other players have offered nothing,

Heres hoping the Club actually learnbed form thier mistakes and have some kind of plan in mind going forward.

No more players signings with no idea on how or where they fit in to the team. This time we need to get ourselves an identity and a style of play, and build a squad with that in mind. Ive said it in other threads, id actually take 2 years in league one, if it meant we came back up steady footed and with all the right things in place in the background.

The clear out of players this year was justified, now we need to get this rebuild and playe recruitment absolutely spot on and right.  

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

Heres hoping the Club actually learnbed form thier mistakes and have some kind of plan in mind going forward.

No more players signings with no idea on how or where they fit in to the team. This time we need to get ourselves an identity and a style of play, and build a squad with that in mind. Ive said it in other threads, id actually take 2 years in league one, if it meant we came back up steady footed and with all the right things in place in the background.

The clear out of players this year was justified, now we need to get this rebuild and playe recruitment absolutely spot on and right.  

Spot on,great post! sadly we still have  some players still contracted who though may have ability may be contaminated with the losing mentality,i just hope they dont influence the players coming in...

Massive job to do as well with the remaining GK in the close season,cos s it stands both have gone backwards...

Would like to see a new no 1 brought in...

• Like 1

Just now, parajack said:

Spot on,great post! sadly we still have  some players still contracted who though may have ability may be contaminated with the losing mentality,i just hope they dont influence the players coming in...

Massive job to do as well with the remaining GK in the close season,cos s it stands both have gone backwards...

Would like to see a new no 1 brought in...

Agreed, Not a fan of either keeper for number 1 jersey, need some experience there and someone who can own the area and marshall the defence.

I would also love to see midfield given some attention, a genuine box to box midfielder and players that are comfy on the ball and can actually deliver a ball into the box. If Bannan stays, it would be nice to take the responsibilty for all that we do off him. He offers more to us at times when hes not trying or having to be the main man. 

Its going to be a very intresting summer. Hope Moore is the man and hope DC backs him to build a team the right way, rather than buying mercanaries and has beens. 

Guest wilyfox

I don’t want to hear his name again tbh. An expensive failure here. One of the champs all time leading scorers turned limpdick the moment he walked into Wednesday. It’s sad there are posters that will dredge his name up if ever he scores for Huddersfield next season. Fitting that he returns to the club he declined taking a penalty against. Feck off Jordan!

Lovely bloke though.