Jordan Rhodes - Huddersfield Medical

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I think some fans think our infamous ‘recruitment team’ are going to unearth a fast, hungry 21 year old Drogba-esque replacement for Rhodes, and a young Ryan Giggs for Reach.

No, just someone with a chance of having a better record than 18 goals in 101 league games who is likely to cost significantly less than £8M and £30K a week. 

Lovely news for the 'nicest man in football '.

He could have gone there on a free a season and a half ago, but the nicest man in football would rather not play and earn stupid money than go and play for regularly for a team that wants him.

What will he be on now? £10k p.w. plus a signing on bonus?

Absolutely ridiculous how he has pulled the wool over peoples eyes on here.  

1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

He could have gone there on a free a season and a half ago, but the nicest man in football would rather not play and earn stupid money than go and play for regularly for a team that wants him.

Would Chansiri have accepted a free transfer to Huddersfield at that point?

He wouldn't sanction the same deal when Norwich came knocking so I'm not sure he would.

• Like 1

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He wouldn't sanction the same deal when Norwich came knocking so I'm not sure he would.

A Chairman would have to be absolutely clueless not to have given him a free transfer, he was a financial liability.....🤔 😏

Also reassuring to know that, as we head into an unknown period, that the great and good of Owlstalk know more than our previous six managers, all of which didnt trust Rhodes enough to start him week in week out.

That's  SIX managers.  

1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

A Chairman would have to be absolutely clueless not to have given him a free transfer, he was a financial liability.....🤔 😏

Though easily our best striker this season and had he been played more he we’d have probably stayed up and not taken the £10m hit by dropping to D3.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Though easily our best striker this season and had he been played more he we’d have probably stayed up and not taken the £10m hit by dropping to D3.

Seriously come on! What has he actually showed in his previous 3 seasons to show he was capable of keeping such a poor team up?! I'm sure you'll quote some goals per minute-esque stat, yet forget Rhodes just was not physically capable of playing so many minutes in such quick succession, so often he looked knackered after 65 minutes when starting.

It's not just the managers at Wednesday either, Norwich didn't start him and Boro wanted him gone no sooner had they signed him. 6 years he's been poor. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, 0742 said:

Seriously come on! What has he actually showed in his previous 3 seasons to show he was capable of keeping such a poor team up?! I'm sure you'll quote some goals per minute-esque stat, yet forget Rhodes just was not physically capable of playing so many minutes in such quick succession, so often he looked knackered after 65 minutes when starting.

It's not just the managers at Wednesday either, Norwich didn't start him and Boro wanted him gone no sooner had they signed him. 6 years he's been poor. 

I would simply look at our record THIS SEASON with him and without him.

Once you’ve seen that record It’s pretty far fetched to believe anything other than starting him more would have kept us up.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I would simply look at our record THIS SEASON with him and without him.

Once you’ve seen that record It’s pretty far fetched to believe anything other than starting him more would have kept us up.

Why do you keep thinking all our managers couldn't see this and simply chose not to pick him?

As has been said many times he looked like he was blowing out of his backside all too often after about 50 minutes in the games he did start. It seems fair enough to consider that he wasn't physically capable of starting more regularly. 

Will be interesting to see how he goes at Huddersfield. Their team is very similar to ours in many ways (wildly inconsistent, unbalanced squad on unsustainable wages, try to play football but with limited success).

I predict it'll go somewhat similar to Wednesday, Rhodes will get the odd goal (somewhere around the 1 every 3 full games mark) but as the 21/22 season drags on he'll start to play less and less. The fans will start moaning more and more about the 3 year contract and his wages. But as the team gradually declines they'll be forced to keep picking him and the whole cycle of hell will repeat and repeat.

5 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The problem when Norwich came knocking was that we still owed Boro transfer payments, so it would have cost us to let him go.

That's why the fee to Norwich was £2 million, essentially they'd have paid the remaining fee we owed Boro

5 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Exactly how has he pulled the wool over peoples eyes? The club offered him a salary it couldn’t afford to pay. He accepted it. He stayed until his contract ran out because he wasn’t offered more money elsewhere. Seems pretty straightforward and reasonable to me. 

• Like 1