Jordan Rhodes - Huddersfield Medical

2 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

A very valid point.

Using and adding up total minutes played across all comps, he has only played the equivilent of just 61 full games for us. For comparison, he played double that amount of minutes at Hudds and almost treble that amount of minutes at Blackburn. 

I know stats cant always be relied upon for a full picture, but they do show hes hardly been used or given a full run in his time here compared to elsewhere. 

Isnt it an equally valid point that not manager,stand in manager,saw enough in training to pick him,like anything on a regular basis? that he was unable to hold/keep his place in the team?

These people were professionals who observed and saw him weekly...every day probably in training...

• Like 1

Just now, parajack said:

Never hidden? wheres he been than???

Hes been sat on the bench waiting to get a game, or being played up front as a lone target man. 

While we might have signed him to score us goals, we cant then say hes hidden when we have harldy played him  for 4 years and  we have thenasked him to play a role hes really not built for or or suited to play.  Whilst obviously not a success here, i cant recall any time that he lacked effort or moped around the pitch acting like he doesnt care. See Players such as Adam Reach for that one, who aside form about 5 games this season his hidden in plain sight for many a game. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, OwlinOldham said:

Hes been sat on the bench waiting to get a game, or being played up front as a lone target man. 

While we might have signed him to score us goals, we cant then say hes hidden when we have harldy played him  for 4 years and  we have thenasked him to play a role hes really not built for or or suited to play.  Whilst obviously not a success here, i cant recall any time that he lacked effort or moped around the pitch acting like he doesnt care. See Players such as Adam Reach for that one, who aside form about 5 games this season his hidden in plain sight for many a game. 

Not been played as a lone target man much mate,few times,you have to ask yourself why multiple managers/stand in managers,have refused to pick him,on anything like a regular basis,and why has he hit a little bit of form in the last few Months of his contract?

They see him every day in training,and pick/leave players out for a reason...

4 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

He looked decent this season. Whether corberan is the man to play the way Rhodes needs is unclear though. Had we persisted with Rhodes, Windass and paterson as a trio I think we would have stayed up 

Totally agree,so why didnt we? DM insistence on playing out.?

1 minute ago, parajack said:

Not been played as a lone target man much mate,few times,you have to ask yourself why multiple managers/stand in managers,have refused to pick him,on anything like a regular basis,and why has he hit a little bit of form in the last few Months of his contract?

They see him every day in training,and pick/leave players out for a reason...

Rhodes is a unique player in that hes not  massively strong or fast, hes not overly skillfull and hes not great in the air when the balls pumped up to him. The one thing he is (or was) good at is playing on the shoulder of the last man and sneaking in and grabbing a goal. Yet we have not played in this way since before he was signed. For seasons, almost all of our play has gone through Bannan and the hollywood ball over the top to the likes of Fletcher or Nuhiu. When he has come on as a sub for these players, hes been asked to play the same role as they were playing. Players like Rhodes fit a unique style of play,  you dont sign them if your not going to set up and play in a way that gets the most out of them...... Unless you are Wednesday anyways. 

You could be right, he could have been absolutely Sh!te in training and thats why he wasnt picked. I However think it was more a case that he was never really able to fit into or make an impact on the way we were playing at that time, given the fact his all round game (aside from scoring) isnt one thats very good in a set up like ours was. Whils some might say its funny hes hit form at the end of his contract, the same could also be said that hes hit form when we have started playing with wide players and getting balls into the box from all angles. 

Guess we will never know really, but the fact he has almso always been fit and has only played the equivilent of 61 full games across four years is our bad.  

• Like 1

Since leaving Blackburn in 2016 he has played for three clubs under lord knows how many managers, none of whom have given him a regular starting spot. He has scored 30 goals in those five years. Something has gone wrong. Those stats suggest it’s him rather than the clubs or managers. Surely one could get a tune out of him or is he just happy to coast along and take the money?

4 hours ago, parajack said:

Totally agree,so why didnt we? DM insistence on playing out.?

Im not sure really. Perhaps more consideration of opposition rather than our own strategy. Plus a lot of games in short space of time so never know who is fully fit.

You can say what you like about his previous years here, but our use of him this season has been car-crash management.

Plays

team does ok

dropped

team does crap

Plays 

team does ok

dropped 

team does crap

Plays

Rinse and repeat

I’ll never fathom this season.

• Like 1

You can put all the stats about how many minutes he played per goal etc all day long

but the record books will say he was a record signing that failed to deliver.

He put on a Wednesday shirt 101 times and scored 18 goals.

If he was a free transfer you could possibly get away with it but

when he cost such a fee along with the wages on top it was a dire return.

Wish him the best though.

2 rubbish seasons where he looked slow, weak and poor, a season out on loan, and a half decent season this year in a poor team. 

A big relief to get his wages off the wage bill. Another player we should have sold 2 year ago. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

People still talk about Urby Emanuelson.

Rhodes will be in threads on here in 2030  lol

You’re right of course.

@areNOTwhatTHEYseemquoted my post earlier in the thread saying something similar. I can think of a couple of future thread titles already,

”Jordan Rhodes Goal Machine”

”Why didn’t we play to JR’s strengths”

lol

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NobbyStyle said:

You’re right of course.

@areNOTwhatTHEYseemquoted my post earlier in the thread saying something similar. I can think of a couple of future thread titles already,

”Jordan Rhodes Goal Machine”

”Why didn’t we play to JR’s strengths”

lol

Trust me: we'll get an update and a lengthy 'debate' every time he breaks wind from now on.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1