Not paying wages contributed to relegation

The unpaid player wages saga is bound to have affected morale and contributed to Sheffield Wednesday's plight, according to former Owls defender Jon Newsome.

It is understood some Wednesday players are still awaiting their salaries in full for March and April.

Newsome told Yorkshire Live: "I think it has a massive affect on you as a player. You go into the club and word gets around that you're not getting your wages.

"It is going to have a massive affect on morale and it has happened three or four times.

A report in The Telegraph suggested that the Owls' squad did not receive their latest pay packets prior to their penultimate clash of the season against Nottingham Forest.

Newsome said: "Is this club sustainable?

"I am led to believe that a drop into League One hits you financially in the region of £8m and Wednesday are a football club with a turnover of approximately £18m to £20m - that is all of a sudden nearly 50 per cent of your turnover gone out of the window.

"If you have got £2.5m to pay (in rent) just to play at your own football ground (every year) going out of the door, that might be 25 per cent of your turnover to play matches at your home stadium.

Full Article 👉 https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-alarming-financial-concern-20607593.amp

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grandad

He's got to find £6.5m to pay off his loan shark. An extra £5m to fund the commercial losses due to relegation. Another £6m plus to fund our wages until the end of June (Inc those who haven't been paid yet).

And potentially another £10m plus to cover gate receipts for next year because people will carry over season tickets.

That's before he's paid a monthly wage bill next season, which hopefully will be down to £2m a month from the £3.75m a month or was before.

Next season could easily cost him £40m plus.

I really wouldn't want to be him.

If players still haven’t been paid in full for March - it’s now middle of May - you don’t need to be Peter Jones or any of the other Dragons to realise that we are in big financial trouble.

Even a naive and clueless businessman such as DC must have surely realised the effect on performance that not paying wages must have, so I’m concluding the piggy bank is virtually now empty

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We were up against it from the off this season, but the chaos and instability created by the man at the top of our club has been beyond belief.

A United fan couldn't have done a better job of trashing our club.

In true scooby doo style, I'm waiting for chansiri to pull off his rubber mask to reveal warnock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It is pretty poor management that Chansiri didn't tell the players before they were not getting they full wages.

Many found out after it happened.

Think if he called a meeting (or Zoom chat or whatever) and explained to the players what was happening and why then the impact might have been less on morale.

Of course playing the wages on time would have been better but good business people would know how to handle it a lot better.

• Like 5

So if DC is skint, then no doubt we are finished we won't be going back to hillsborough next season. DC needs to make a statement of what is going on, obviously he won't first we will know is when ground is repossessed. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Grandad said:

He's got to find £6.5m to pay off his loan shark. An extra £5m to fund the commercial losses due to relegation. Another £6m plus to fund our wages until the end of June (Inc those who haven't been paid yet).

And potentially another £10m plus to cover gate receipts for next year because people will carry over season tickets.

That's before he's paid a monthly wage bill next season, which hopefully will be down to £2m a month from the £3.75m a month or was before.

Next season could easily cost him £40m plus.

I really wouldn't want to be him.

59to5z.jpg

• Haha 5

Let's be clear here, the players were always going to be paid but later.

Seems a bit like an excuse to absolve the players of their part in relegation (29 points lost from winning positions, 1 gained from losing position). When one considers they let 28 points go from losing positions last season, you have to question how big an effect this had on those poor dears earning more than 7k a week as they were have been mentally weak over a long period.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Guest Grandad
8 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Seems a bit like an excuse to absolve the players of their part in relegation (29 points lost from winning positions, 1 gained from losing position). When one considers they let 28 points go from losing positions last season, you have to question how big an effect this had on those poor dears earning more than 7k a week as they were have been mentally weak over a long period.

7k a month

Players earning £7k a week were paid for 1 week in that month.

And they would still have paid tax and NI on their full wages. And be sent a proportion of it.

Players will have financial commitments. Pensions. Mortgages. Credit agreements. Investments.

If I was on £20k a week I'd be living accordingly (especially as a young man) - to be sent (in some cases) 10% of my wages would have really dropped me in the crap. Would I be busting a gut to keep my employer out of the crap? Would I hell.

And if you're honest - neither would you.

(Especially if that same employer had made it clear I wasn't even going to be offered a new contract in just a few weeks)

Edited by Grandad

5 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Let's also be clear: any potential barrier to a professional sportsperson having a clear mind, being fully focussed on their job, and entirely comfortable in their surroundings, needs to be removed if you're going to see the best from them.

When you're going up against other teams who don't have such off-field issues clouding their thoughts, the marginal gains become more apparent.

• Like 6

Maybe it did,but the Q i have argued is should it have?? There are other comparisons in our sport where it didnt,and heres one from snooker

Last nights telly, ,snooker legends highlighted the than World Champion Alex (Hurricane) Higgins & Jimmy White contracted to a UK wide tour,whilst at their peak.Promoter ran off with the money which had already been paid......

Both players continued the tour because they didnt want to let the fans down,receiving no prize money or wages at all.and paying out of their own pocket to continue the tour.

Tour was discontinued at a later stage for other unknown reasons....80s standards,both Professional players & one a World Champion at the time,prepared to put the fans FIRST despite being****ed over...

All about honour...and doing whats right,at the right time,for the right reasons....in my view....

• Like 6

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We were up against it from the off this season, but the chaos and instability created by the man at the top of our club has been beyond belief.

A United fan couldn't have done a better job of trashing our club.

We might as well have appointed Warnock this season. Best case scenario he'd have done his usual good work and kept us up. Worst case he would have made good on that famous quote about ruining us on purpose - but nobody would have noticed. 

• Haha 1