Not paying wages contributed to relegation

10 minutes ago, Grandad said:

7k a month

Players earning £7k a week were paid for 1 week in that month.

And they would still have paid tax and NI on their full wages. And be sent a proportion of it.

Players will have financial commitments. Pensions. Mortgages. Credit agreements. Investments.

If I was on £20k a week I'd be living accordingly (especially as a young man) - to be sent (in some cases) 10% of my wages would have really dropped me in the crap. Would I be busting a gut to keep my employer out of the crap? Would I hell.

And if you're honest - neither would you.

(Especially if that same employer had made it clear I wasn't even going to be offered a new contract in just a few weeks)

Mate footballers can be paid as ltd companies,and take a Monthly/yearly dividend,take the majority of their wages as 'directors loans.rather than 'wages'and any number of oher ways.. i have no idea what the salary details of our footballers so cant comment how they are paid individually,but i would be surprised if they are on the sort of terms

you describe.Have a read mate,before you shed any tears

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leaked-championship-report-wages-revealed-4084

https://www.888sport.com/blog/football/championship/how-much-do-championship-football-players-get-paid

Edited by parajack

4 minutes ago, Grandad said:

7k a month

Players earning £7k a week were paid for 1 week in that month.

And they would still have paid tax and NI on their full wages. And be sent a proportion of it.

Players will have financial commitments. Pensions. Mortgages. Credit agreements. Investments.

If I was on £20k a week I'd be living accordingly (especially as a young man) - to be sent (in some cases) 10% of my wages would have really dropped me in the crap. Would I be busting a gut to keep my employer out of the crap? Would I hell.

And if you're honest - neither would you.

That's as maybe, but at least if they only a small pittance of 7k a month, they will more chance of getting credit if they are so materialistic they struggle. They wouldn't have to queue at food banks to get their next meal. If they got paid late then that's great however if not are we completely skint. At least they have every chance of finding another employee. Players will survive but will the club is what i want to know!!

Guest whowantstoberich

If true then this says more about the professionalism (or lack thereof), of the players more than anything else.

Many people have been affecting financially during the pandemic a lot worse than what they have.

Pandemic impacted wages shouldn't mean they down tools.

If it is down to Chansiri and unrelated then fine, can understand that.

Indeed the players should be living in line with their salaries, many struggle to accept that I think. A player on £1m a year won't be in a council flat eating pot noodles.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just as an FYI

A 2million pound house on a standard mortgage will be around £7k a month in mortgage payments.

I don't think that it's that unreasonable that a footballer will have that sort of outgoing, if so it means they're fizzed for paying anything else until the rest is paid

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

He's got to find £6.5m to pay off his loan shark. An extra £5m to fund the commercial losses due to relegation. Another £6m plus to fund our wages until the end of June (Inc those who haven't been paid yet).

And potentially another £10m plus to cover gate receipts for next year because people will carry over season tickets.

That's before he's paid a monthly wage bill next season, which hopefully will be down to £2m a month from the £3.75m a month or was before.

Next season could easily cost him £40m plus.

I really wouldn't want to be him.

Me either. But then I wouldn't be silly enough to inflict this mess upon myself either! :Chansiri:

1 hour ago, Asio otus said:

So if DC is skint, then no doubt we are finished we won't be going back to hillsborough next season. DC needs to make a statement of what is going on, obviously he won't first we will know is when ground is repossessed. 

Are we not currently replacing the playing surface at Hillsborough? 

Don’t think this has been done for any other reason than we will be playing our joke games there. 

27 minutes ago, parajack said:

Maybe it did,but the Q i have argued is should it have?? There are other comparisons in our sport where it didnt,and heres one from snooker

Last nights telly, ,snooker legends highlighted the than World Champion Alex (Hurricane) Higgins & Jimmy White contracted to a UK wide tour,whilst at their peak.Promoter ran off with the money which had already been paid......

Both players continued the tour because they didnt want to let the fans down,receiving no prize money or wages at all.and paying out of their own pocket to continue the tour.

Tour was discontinued at a later stage for other unknown reasons....80s standards,both Professional players & one a World Champion at the time,prepared to put the fans FIRST despite being****ed over...

All about honour...and doing whats right,at the right time,for the right reasons....in my view....

TBH that's the attitude I'd like to think I'd take. I wouldn't want "Sheffield Wednesday - Relegation" on my CV and I'd do everything I could to avoid that. But, it's easy to say that when you're not the one out on the pitch not getting paid. I'm sure even the most professional of footballers/sport people would be negatively impacted on not being paid, which in turn would affect their performance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheSlicer said:

Are we not currently replacing the playing surface at Hillsborough? 

Don’t think this has been done for any other reason than we will be playing our joke games there. 

But if we can't pay wages then no players. We need clarification rather than rumours, can the club afford to continue.

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, but they can afford not to get paid, so what's the problem!?

:ph34r:

Did they get paid, are they getting paid. We need clarity. All these rumours but no one inside the club has spoken. Derby apparently had same problem, again rumoured to be the case. 

6 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

But if we can't pay wages then no players. We need clarification rather than rumours, can the club afford to continue.

I’m talking about the playing surface..the pitch.. in response to some one saying we won’t be playing there next season. 

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, Grandad said:

He's got to find £6.5m to pay off his loan shark. An extra £5m to fund the commercial losses due to relegation. Another £6m plus to fund our wages until the end of June (Inc those who haven't been paid yet).

And potentially another £10m plus to cover gate receipts for next year because people will carry over season tickets.

That's before he's paid a monthly wage bill next season, which hopefully will be down to £2m a month from the £3.75m a month or was before.

Next season could easily cost him £40m plus.

I really wouldn't want to be him.

We’re in a hole aren’t we.. but I think the numbers are likely a bit lower than that

The loan against the ground will get rolled over. I think the athletic mentioned that was the most likely outcome with it, and that makes sense.

Surely the wage bill will be massively slashed next season. Anyone that stays is going to have to accept 5k a week or less. Any new signings on less than that. We’ll probably sell Windass, Paterson and maybe Bannan and Iorfa. The rest of the in contract players hopefully won’t be on that much. That wage bill needs to be more like 500k to 750k a month rather than 2 million.

I would say he’s still going to need about £20m to pay a vastly reduced wage bill, process the outstanding wages and ticket refunds, sign an actual squad of players and settle up/roll over his existing debts.

I doubt he’s even good for that amount of money though given what’s gone on recently.

Guest LondonOwl313
26 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Just as an FYI

A 2million pound house on a standard mortgage will be around £7k a month in mortgage payments.

I don't think that it's that unreasonable that a footballer will have that sort of outgoing, if so it means they're fizzed for paying anything else until the rest is paid

Will be even worse than that. That sounds like it’s on a 25 year mortgage. A footballer wouldn’t get a 25 year mortgage because their earnings will reduce (fall off a cliff) during the term 

They would probably get a 5 year one or whatever the length of their contract is. And that sort of payment is more like £35k a month