Worst Wednesday Xl ?

Brad jones

Aljofree   Aranalde   van aken 

Small  Lunt Sedgwick Butterfield Harris

Graham  Morrison 

cant think that anyone who's played in the top flight can be included no matter how crap they were ....you could pick 3 or 4  teams of  rubbish players who only played 1 - 10 games worse than this  but on the  criteria that they played at least 20 games i'll go 

tidman ( not sure he played 20 but he was bloody awful)

hendon

holsgrove 

westwood 

quinn

usher ( a top flight exception)

harvey (reluctantly)....but when you blow 60 grand  on a player and he comes out the tunnel limping on his  debut it can only go 1 way .  

henson

proudlove ( dont quite hit the app mark but was crap )

jeffers

downes .......

Brad Jones

Zigor Aranalde

Jon Beswethetick

Chris Carr

Daniel Jones (I remember a game against Swindon at home where I’ve never seen such a lazy performance - cared more about his hair than running about)

Kenny Lunt

Jacob Butterfield 

Stephen McPhail (head and shoulders the best set piece taker we had but was literally too old to move to take corners)

Kim Olsen

Jay Bothroyd

Stevie May (harsh maybe but considering the hype that followed him here. He just had very little about him and was so disappointing 

People putting the likes of James O’Connor are mad btw. JOC was limited but he did a solid job & didnt shirk which is more than I can say for plenty of other CM’s. 

Also seen Paul Corry mentioned twice & im baffled. MOTM vs Leeds on sky. Talented boy. Dreadful injury luck.

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

cant think that anyone who's played in the top flight can be included no matter how crap they were ....you could pick 3 or 4  teams of  rubbish players who only played 1 - 10 games worse than this  but on the  criteria that they played at least 20 games i'll go 

tidman ( not sure he played 20 but he was bloody awful)

hendon

holsgrove 

westwood 

quinn

usher ( a top flight exception)

harvey (reluctantly)....but when you blow 60 grand  on a player and he comes out the tunnel limping on his  debut it can only go 1 way .  

henson

proudlove ( dont quite hit the app mark but was crap )

jeffers

downes .......

Harvey and Henson have you been drinking.

Just now, Pughies Jockstrap said:

Harvey and Henson have you been drinking.

for the past year every day .......harvey was a class act sadly not for us  bloke could hardly walk and henson took tommo's place so  i wasnt going to remember him fondly .......you look at there records for us and it dont make good reading 

29 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Brad Jones

Zigor Aranalde

Jon Beswethetick

Chris Carr

Daniel Jones (I remember a game against Swindon at home where I’ve never seen such a lazy performance - cared more about his hair than running about)

Kenny Lunt

Jacob Butterfield 

Stephen McPhail (head and shoulders the best set piece taker we had but was literally too old to move to take corners)

Kim Olsen

Jay Bothroyd

Stevie May (harsh maybe but considering the hype that followed him here. He just had very little about him and was so disappointing 

People putting the likes of James O’Connor are mad btw. JOC was limited but he did a solid job & didnt shirk which is more than I can say for plenty of other CM’s. 

Also seen Paul Corry mentioned twice & im baffled. MOTM vs Leeds on sky. Talented boy. Dreadful injury luck.

Agree with majority of that actually. 

Who was the Scottish ginger left back we had, played the single worst 90 minutes I've ever seen away at Dagenham & Redbridge. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

Agree with majority of that actually. 

Who was the Scottish ginger left back we had, played the single worst 90 minutes I've ever seen away at Dagenham & Redbridge. 

Mark Reynolds?

I've said it before but we've had far more absolutely dogger left-backs than any other position , for some reason...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, torryowl said:

for the past year every day .......harvey was a class act sadly not for us  bloke could hardly walk and henson took tommo's place so  i wasnt going to remember him fondly .......you look at there records for us and it dont make good reading 

Torryowl, you lived near Totley? 

There was an absolute deluge of crap from about 2000 until 2010ish. 

In terms of ability, the current lot aren't the worst by any stretch, but, bar a few exceptions, have consistently let themselves down with some pretty questionable application. 

Let's hope that barnstormer of a display on Monday was the beginning of a turnaround. 

1 hour ago, Dooogs said:

Mark Reynolds?

I've said it before but we've had far more absolutely dogger left-backs than any other position , for some reason...

Which why it is still gutting to think we signed Pudil at a later stage in his career, that first season with us he looked like the first best left back we've had in some time, I loved Reda but defensively he could be wreckless, always useful for grabbing a goal though.

These threads are always interesting in terms of what people class as worst.

Is a player who came in during the days in the top flight and was rubbish worse than a player who probably shouldn't have ever had the chance to play for Sheffield Wednesday. Beswetherick, who was awful no doubt, was a good example of the latter.

How about this for a worst Wednesday XI as it actually played a league game. I can't even work out what formation they were supposed to be playing as there seem to be about 7 defenders:

SWFC vs Plymouth (a), 2nd March 2004

GK: Ola Tidman

DF: Derek Geary

DF: Brian Barry-Murphy

DF: Dean Smith

DF: Jon Beswetherick (for the 2nd half, Graeme Lee started)

DF: Leigh Bromby

DF: Richard Wood

??: Adam Chambers (was he a defender as well?)

MF: Alan Quinn

FW: Jon Shaw

FW: Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

How about this for a worst Wednesday XI as it actually played a league game. I can't even work out what formation they were supposed to be playing as there seem to be about 7 defenders:

SWFC vs Plymouth (a), 2nd March 2004

GK: Ola Tidman

DF: Derek Geary

DF: Brian Barry-Murphy

DF: Dean Smith

DF: Jon Beswetherick (for the 2nd half, Graeme Lee started)

DF: Leigh Bromby

DF: Richard Wood

??: Adam Chambers (was he a defender as well?)

MF: Alan Quinn

FW: Jon Shaw

FW: Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu

Think we lost that match 2-0 with Plymouth being managed by Paul Sturrock.

Some of those players were basically not up to standard.

But Geary, Bromby, Quinn and Richard Wood all had respectable careers. 

Good knows what happened with Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu, I thought for about 1/2 a season was a terrific player and had plenty to offer.

Was obviously not a Sturrock type player and not surprise he moved on when Sturrock was manager but he just seemed to disappear into think air when he left.

12 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Brad jones

Aljofree   Aranalde   van aken 

Small  Lunt Sedgwick Butterfield Harris

Graham  Morrison 

Completely forgot about David Graham, goes into mine instead of Bradbury. 

Saw him turn out for Sheffield FC a few years after Wednesday and he was awful, that level was too good for him.